Cochlear Implants & Hollywood

Dude, I thought I was a very good lipreader but when I had the lipreading/voice test it was 40% and it was worse if I am outside booth, 28% for without voice... as this tells I rely on lipreading with voice but it's still poor, I was really struggling with the communication skills in the hearing environment. Now with CI it rocketed to 86% in 6 months this shows how the speech clarity works and this is why high freq is needed in our hearing.

This is hollywood thread please do a new thread.

That doesn't mean that CI's aren't great for people who choose to have them, that just means stupid hearing ppl don't know their facts and are being rude in how Ddeaf ppl with CI's are being portrayed

It's already fact that there are certainly deaf group have against on CI. Hearing have done their homework to doing in entertainment show.

There is next one is House MD where there is deaf patient who have CI, however have something wrong in his condition to find out.

I really wish this was the case, Ive read several stories now where people lose or break their HAs and get insurance to pay for their CI. Insurance doesn't pay for HAs, something they really, really should! :mad:

Also ive noticed a bunch of people made no mention of trying the best HAs, well CI would be better than their 5 year old HA at low volume. Not a fair comparsion, id like to compare CI to the best HA at high volume. You also said "usually" which means some CI audies still fail to do trials with stronger HAs.

I make no arguements about CI being great for those with very profound losses that they simply can't get enough amplification with the best HAs but others actually have much better hearing than me(moderately HOH) yet they somehow qualified for a CI? That was unheard of just a few years ago. I only have to look at Phi4Sius's thread to see how well he's hearing with HA(the right HA's mind you). He hears better than the majority of CI wearers and he scores 100% on speech and hears all environmental sounds!

It's all a matter of trying many different HAs. For people like Phi4Sius, high power analogs work great! I am seriously considering trying analogs too, perhaps Oticon's Sumo analog. They actually are more powerful than my Phonak Naida's except they don't have transposition but I don't yet know if ill even benefit from transposition, if I don't id like to try other brands of HAs.

Only different than because HA isn't inside body while CI is. That's how health insurance work.

Dude, I thought I was a very good lipreader but when I had the lipreading/voice test it was 40% and it was worse if I am outside booth, 28% for without voice... as this tells I rely on lipreading with voice but it's still poor, I was really struggling with the communication skills in the hearing environment. Now with CI it rocketed to 86% in 6 months this shows how the speech clarity works and this is why high freq is needed in our hearing.

This is hollywood thread please do a new thread.

That's why there is good example from Seinfeld.

Seinfeld Lists - The Lip Reader

Jerry: All right, we're taking a car service. So we'll swing by and pick you up. How about six? (Laura looks offended). Six is good. (Laura looks offended and angry). You got a problem with six? (Laura opens the door and gets out). What? What?

next day - At Jerry's apartment.

Jerry: See I was saying "six" but she thought I was saying "sex". We straightened the whole thing out though.

George: She confused "six" with "sex"?

Jerry: Yeah.

I am replying to the posts about CI that was posted in my HA thread.

The best way is I read an audiogram of aided CI results, such as this one:

f02a.jpg

That person has in the left ear a 90 and 100db loss at 250Hz and 500Hz and NR above that. His HAs are giving only 40db gain, perhaps the reason was the same as Hear Again's who had an audiogram like his and Hear Again has said before that she didn't benefit from HAs or more gain. Regardless, a CI in his case as well as Hear Again's made sense and the odds of it being better than HAs was quite good.

His right ear is similar to mine, but he needs better HAs. I am already hearing much better than he ever did with HAs and my audiologist believes I could be hearing low frequencies at 15db and mid frequencies at 35db(and if transposition works, ill hear the highs the same as the mids) So from reading case studies like his, I can conclude that you simply can't have much residual hearing period(90db or worse) and no residual hearing in the mids and highs.

All the case studies, the patients exhabited profound HL in the CI ear and no better than severe-profound in the contralateral ear. None of them were aided to better than moderate with HAs either. All of them achieved a 10-20db improvement with CI and were able to hear high frequencies. They achieved a CI threshold in the 25db to 40db range.

To answer your other questions, that's a no. I did see pics of how CI is programmed. Theres threshold(T) and comfort(C) levels. I am still learning why some people can't get better than 50db or 60db threshold while others seemingly reach 25, 20, even 15db thresholds!

The best CI results ive ever seen was 10db. 25db is still great for CI but if your ear and CI is capable of better, why not try for 20db with a different map?

I do feel that people focus too much on the clarity of speech. It may be a big deal for hearing people(and perhaps late deafened postlinguals) but for most of us, especially the prelinguals, we relay on other methods of accessing speech such as lip reading, ASL(im 100% oral) and writing/typing. When people talk, they usually look at others in the face. I read their lips and understand almost everything they say. I combine lip reading with hearing their voice and don't understand why anyone has to struggle? :hmm:

What kind of speech comphrension test? Those are very impressive scores :D

You can call(I assume you now hear phones) your audiologist and ask him to email or fax a copy of your audiograms. Just tell him you lost/misplaced yours and you need another copy.

Not me, I'm prelingually deaf (90 db loss in left and 50 in other at birth then it went to 105 in average and 115 for left at age 17) and I grew up using ASL no speech therapy after age 8 so I didn't use speech but yet I CAN'T lipread, I scored like 20% in lipreading alone no sound. Because I rely on listening to understand people. With listening involved I scored like 75% at 3 month post activation speech test. (I'm currently 1 year and 2 months post activation) I'm sure its more by now I can understand basic sentence without looking at people now and I never could do that whole my life not even with single word. Hence the needing the speech clarity. I don't and can't rely on lipreading. I've tried and trained with lipreading with no sucess because I'm listening type of person. Same idea with some people are more of an visual person and some people are more of an numbers person, some are more of an listening person. Like some people need to speak aloud when reading book some using their imagination to see the picture, some reading the word of the book.

Deafdude1,

You're assuming that people can naturally lipread easily if they are deaf. I used to think like that. I thought that since they are surrounded by hearing people all the time, they are forced to learn to lipread. But some people JUST don't have the ability. I got a wake up call this past weekend. I met a guy who went to a mainstream school most of his education (went to a deaf school for 1 year and hated it). We mostly signed to each other. I assumed that he can lipread well until he met my hearing friend. He barely could understand her while I could easily.

Let me ask you.... imagine if you couldn't lipread well, would anything be different?

Wow... if hollywood says that CI either makes your parents divorce or makes you want to kill your own child, it must be so!

(Pssst, wasn't there a recent law n order show about how a jealous best friend killed his friend because the friend got the CI? Does this also mean anti CI people kill CI people? :Ohno:)

Yes they often do. ;) In that Law and Order the murderer was very afraid of being left behind when his friend would join the hearing.

I saw that episode too! :shock:

Remember folks--this thread is about Ci & Hollywood. :cool2:

If you want to branch off--start your own thread. Thanks! :)

I remember the time I went to N.T.I.D. there was a movie called “The heart is a Lonely Hunter” which features a Deaf mute man that uses sign language for communications. That was a strong hit to the gut type of movie I would say. The movie kind of focus on the Deaf actor while the book was about a group of people trying to find meaning in the world.

I remember the time I went to N.T.I.D. there was a movie called “The heart is a Lonely Hunter” which features a Deaf mute man that uses sign language for communications. That was a strong hit to the gut type of movie I would say. The movie kind of focus on the Deaf actor while the book was about a group of people trying to find meaning in the world.

The ending was a real downer and sent the wrong message.

If they portrayed CIs in a positive light everyone would get mad at them for being audist and that CIs are supposed to make you normal. Who cares anymore?

Not me, I'm prelingually deaf (90 db loss in left and 50 in other at birth then it went to 105 in average and 115 for left at age 17) and I grew up using ASL no speech therapy after age 8 so I didn't use speech but yet I CAN'T lipread, I scored like 20% in lipreading alone no sound. Because I rely on listening to understand people. With listening involved I scored like 75% at 3 month post activation speech test. (I'm currently 1 year and 2 months post activation) I'm sure its more by now I can understand basic sentence without looking at people now and I never could do that whole my life not even with single word. Hence the needing the speech clarity. I don't and can't rely on lipreading. I've tried and trained with lipreading with no sucess because I'm listening type of person. Same idea with some people are more of an visual person and some people are more of an numbers person, some are more of an listening person. Like some people need to speak aloud when reading book some using their imagination to see the picture, some reading the word of the book.

Well then you have a much better idea of what hearing is than me. I never had only 50db loss, more like 70db at 250Hz, 90db at 500Hz, 100db at 1000Hz to 6000Hz. Your 90db ear was similar to both of my ears. I grew up 100% oral. I asked my dad and he said I actually taught myself how to lipread. I did have speech therapy as a kid and now I speak clearly.

I guess I am a visual person. Its much easier to read lips than actually listen to actual words so that's how my brain developed. I wasn't interested in learning sign language, instead focusing on lipreading and speech therapy. Nothing wrong with sign language, I just felt it would be easier learning to read lips since most people are hearing and im able to communicate to hearing people and understand them no problem.

But ive seen your audiograms and if my hearing got this bad, I would get a CI evaluation and if im a candidate and the surgery isn't too risky, id have a CI in the 115db ear like you did. The environmental sounds alone would be worth it and the speech comphrension would be a bonus too. There's no arguments that a 115db loss is nearly useless with any HA. I know from experience that I barely hear above 1250Hz. 2000Hz sounds are barely audible at max volume and they never become louder than a faint whisper for me.

Deafdude1,

You're assuming that people can naturally lipread easily if they are deaf. I used to think like that. I thought that since they are surrounded by hearing people all the time, they are forced to learn to lipread. But some people JUST don't have the ability. I got a wake up call this past weekend. I met a guy who went to a mainstream school most of his education (went to a deaf school for 1 year and hated it). We mostly signed to each other. I assumed that he can lipread well until he met my hearing friend. He barely could understand her while I could easily.

Let me ask you.... imagine if you couldn't lipread well, would anything be different?

That is a good question. I know what it's like. Not everyone speaks as clearly as me so I have a hard time lip reading certain people. For the matter, I can't understand what they are saying either. I thought to myself that certain people could benefit from speech therapy and learn how to speak clearly. I didn't want to be rude so I didn't suggest speech therapy to anyone, I will let those people realize this when me and others can't understand what they are saying.

I would train myself to improve my lipreading skills, perhaps let a professional train me to lip read. Id also bring a notepad with me with the cover of the notepad explaining I am severe-profoundly deaf and that you can write down whatever you wish to say. Ive done that before, mostly back when I was in school and it worked fine. I may even ask ENTs, audies and surgeons to see how much CI would improve my speech comphrension and how much id lose out on hearing environmental sounds(my audie who sold me those HAs is reprogramming them next week if he's not too busy and hes aiming for 15db aided hearing which he says is better than CI)

I would train myself to improve my lipreading skills, perhaps let a professional train me to lip read. Id also bring a notepad with me with the cover of the notepad explaining I am severe-profoundly deaf and that you can write down whatever you wish to say. Ive done that before, mostly back when I was in school and it worked fine. I may even ask ENTs, audies and surgeons to see how much CI would improve my speech comphrension and how much id lose out on hearing environmental sounds(my audie who sold me those HAs is reprogramming them next week if he's not too busy and hes aiming for 15db aided hearing which he says is better than CI)

:roll:

I'll believe it when I see it. And if you do get to 15 db, I want to know what your (NO visual) word recognition is.

Back