Cochlear implants and martial arts

tigerbar

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have usher syndrome type IIIA.

I have been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for 3 years and it is something I will never stop doing.

I am losing a LOT of hearing..
Communication is now impossible so I need CI surgery.
I was told that you cannot wrestle after CI surgery.

Is this true?
Do I have to sacrifice my favorite hobby?
I'm sure you can just wear headgear but even then I'm told wrestling is strictly forbidden. Headgear is not allowed in competitions when you compete either and that is something I really want to do.

Does anyone know anything about CI and MMA?

i would definitely NOT do wrestling after getting a CI no matter how long u wait...u can do a lot of damage internally not only to the surgical site but to your actual implant..your CI centre was right in telling you that wresting isn't something you can do with a CI for risk of it being damaged...and if you do damage it and it's your own fault insurance isn't likely to pay for a 2nd surgery when they told you not to do such a physical dangerous sport

You don't need to hear to practice martial arts. Just explain what's going on with your Sensei and that any instructions will either need to be visually explained or communicated in some other way.

I think he means to fight..you can get get shots to the head and if the implant side is hit it could damada the internal implant

I think he means to fight..you can get get shots to the head and if the implant side is hit it could damada the internal implant

I think Kokonut was telling him he doesn't need a CI and can continue his sport?

Hi everyone.

I have usher syndrome type IIIA.

I have been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for 3 years and it is something I will never stop doing.

I am losing a LOT of hearing..
Communication is now impossible so I need CI surgery.
I was told that you cannot wrestle after CI surgery.

Is this true?
Do I have to sacrifice my favorite hobby?
I'm sure you can just wear headgear but even then I'm told wrestling is strictly forbidden. Headgear is not allowed in competitions when you compete either and that is something I really want to do.

Does anyone know anything about CI and MMA?

ask Matt Hamill. He's deaf and he fights in UFC.

I think Kokonut was telling him he doesn't need a CI and can continue his sport?

Oh..well the OP isn't saying he wants a CI just to hear with his sport..hes worried tho that if he gets a CI he can't do jiu jitsu anymore...this is a very physical sport and ppl get hit in the head all the time..I think this is what the OPs CI centre is worried about and thus telling him he can't fight anymore

Oh..well the OP isn't saying he wants a CI just to hear with his sport..hes worried tho that if he gets a CI he can't do jiu jitsu anymore...this is a very physical sport and ppl get hit in the head all the time..I think this is what the OPs CI centre is worried about and thus telling him he can't fight anymore

Well that's probably true that he can't if he does go with the CI.

It just has to be a matter of his priorities.

agreed if it was hear or stop cheerleading for me I'd just stop...lol

I was told by our surgeon, CI Center, and by a representative at Cochlear Ltd that the only physical activity/sports limitation is that the device is validated to withstand pressure only up to a depth of 25 meters (82 feet) -- so no deep sea diving at depths lower than that.

Beyond that, the same judgments required by someone without a CI would apply.

So, my 4YO has just begun martial arts, but not fighting modes, no blows to the head are expected as part of her activity. That doesn't mean she'll avoid blows to the head :( . She took a mean hit to the head just this past weekend during what you might think of as a gentle gymnastics practice thanks to an over-eager child who took a jump into the foam pit right onto Li-Li's head before the teacher cleared her for landing. She wears a helmet when bicycling and skiing, so we mitigate risks where possible. But if there's an activity in which blows to the head are de rigeur (football, hockey, boxing, etc.), I'd use the same standard as with any child of mine - bionic or not - and say "nooooooooo!" (sorry hockey moms, I grew up with too many toothless young neighbors to be comfortable putting Li-Li in the path of a wild puck). I would, however, love to pack her in foam and keep her safe from harm forever, but a huge part of parenting is preparing that child to be out in the world, where so many risks exist, and letting go -- a little.

I was told that the only restrictions were deep sea diving and the Vaan DeGraff machine (static) and I heard a rumor about sky diving. My daughter's surgeon told me, about blows to the head, "If it would break the implant, it's going to fracture your skull, so you would have bigger concerns than hearing in that moment."

So my question is, are you actually fracturing your skull in these fights? Is there no protective head gear?

I was told that the only restrictions were deep sea diving and the Vaan DeGraff machine (static) and I heard a rumor about sky diving. My daughter's surgeon told me, about blows to the head, "If it would break the implant, it's going to fracture your skull, so you would have bigger concerns than hearing in that moment."

So my question is, are you actually fracturing your skull in these fights? Is there no protective head gear?

OP did say no head gear in competition which he wants to do.

My friend who has a CI and plan on joining in roller derby next week. Her doctor told her NOT to join the roller debry! My friend is going to ignore her doctor's order. I am worried. oh well.

It's plain silly to take un-necessary risk's especially when it comes to having such medical devices that give you something that you have once lost. I for one would not put myself in a position to injure myself and possibly be back to square one or worse do to a physical activity that would potiently make my implant fail. I realise that we cannot be in fear of such things happen, but we can prevent these things by not making poor decision's. If your DR advised you to not take such actions I would listen to him/her due to the fact that they know what they are talking about. This is just my .02

My friend who has a CI and plan on joining in roller derby next week. Her doctor told her NOT to join the roller debry! My friend is going to ignore her doctor's order. I am worried. oh well.

You have a right to worry. Any contact sport carries the risk of serious injury, and when someone is compromised in any area with a medical devise, the risk is greater. Personally, I feel it is irresponsible of doctors not to make this simple fact clear.

Thanks for the replies but perhaps I wasn't clear.

I understand I can't wear hearing aids when I fight.
I take off my current hearing aids when I roll anyway.

I just want to know if it's okay to wrestle/fight with a chip inside my head.

Does Matt Hamill have CI?

Thanks for the replies but perhaps I wasn't clear.

I understand I can't wear hearing aids when I fight.
I take off my current hearing aids when I roll anyway.

I just want to know if it's okay to wrestle/fight with a chip inside my head.

Does Matt Hamill have CI?

At your own risk. I'd stick with common sense.

Hamill doesn't have a CI, nor hearing aid. He prefers to be deaf. Read more about him.

I would think its not a wise idea to fight/ wrestle with the chip in there. Granit I know they are titanium and all but It would'nt be worth the risk to me to have a good twack upside the head and possibly damage the implant. Thats my opnion. I was contemplating on going back into the field of soccer.( i played from the age of 7 till i was 18) but after my surgery I have decided its not worth it due to the chance of taking a header by an oponent on the implant. It's just not worth it to me.

Back