Cochlear implants and martial arts

Tiger, if you've got all the passion for the arts look at it this way. If you had a CI, there is no doubt your opponent is going to need to know and it makes it looks like they either could go for your weak spot, directly assault it in some kind of retaliation, or have to go easy on your head area.

I'm sure you wouldn't want either scenarios to occur, would you?

It seems the best advice was offered, keep going till you think it's time to give up if you want to hear. And remember that hearing is not mandatory; it is just that you feel it might be a large part of your life that's motivating you to get it.

Dear AllDeaf.com,

Today is an amazing day for me.
I just came home from the doctor and he said that even when there's a 300 pound Italian man pinning my face with concentrated weight, head gear is enough to protect me.

I have decided to get a CI after all. :)

My next step is to do all the things CI won't let you do even if I don't care about it.

Scuba diving.. sky diving.. etc..
What are the things to do?

Most of all.. I must compete in case tournaments do no allow head gear as 'medical equipment'. Therefore, losing is NOT an option!

I have so many things to experience in life before I go through with this.
I know so many more doors will open after surgery but that doesn't mean I should ignore the doors that will close forever.

Dear AllDeaf.com,

Today is an amazing day for me.
I just came home from the doctor and he said that even when there's a 300 pound Italian man pinning my face with concentrated weight, head gear is enough to protect me.

I have decided to get a CI after all. :)

My next step is to do all the things CI won't let you do even if I don't care about it.
That is the dumbest statement I've ever heard...
Scuba diving.. sky diving.. etc..
What are the things to do?

Most of all.. I must compete in case tournaments do no allow head gear as 'medical equipment'. Therefore, losing is NOT an option!

I have so many things to experience in life before I go through with this.
I know so many more doors will open after surgery but that doesn't mean I should ignore the doors that will close forever.

If what I think your saying is what I've read right..and your saying you ARE gonna do all the things you shouldn't be doing when you have a CI like scuba diving then sorry but you're an idiot and I hope you break your CI and your insurance doesn't re-implant you

If what I think your saying is what I've read right..and your saying you ARE gonna do all the things you shouldn't be doing when you have a CI like scuba diving then sorry but you're an idiot and I hope you break your CI and your insurance doesn't re-implant you

I think he is saying he is going to do those things and THEN get implanted.

Whoa whoa whoa..
I meant that I want to do these things BEFORE getting an implant.
I know I was very clear in my post.

Okay Alicia I've had it.. I've been too apologetic and I felt as if I've been walking on egg shells with you.

You haven't been very nice, understanding, and demonstrated no intelligence whatsoever in your posts.

Dear Alicia,
Shut the fuck up and learn to fucking spell.

I'm off to a bar now to celebrate the good news in which you tried to convince me was never going to be a reality and it really hurt me to the point where I've been completely numb with depression for 2 days until I saw a doctor about this.

If it makes you feel better, I feel like I'm the true idiot for taking some internet retard too seriously.
It still will never change the fact that you're a fucking idiot.

Anyone can tell from my posts I've literally been walking on egg shells with some of you people. I did this to get honest information and to AVOID a flame war, but now that I've gotten my answers from someone who's not a fucking idiot, go ahead and bash the shit out of me. It will never change the fact that I think some of you are fucking terrible people.

I really wanted advice from people who had CI themselves but instead I got pretentious bullshit.

Fuck some of you people, seriously.

Holy shit lady I've read your other posts and can tell you're going to shelter your precious 'Li-Li' to the point of her possibly developing severe social anxiety. Holy fucking shit lady just let her go. I wouldn't be surprised if you lock her in a friggin' bubble when she goes outside. You're not protecting your daughter, you're just destroying her developmental process!

Jesus Christ some of you people are fucking crazy.

Fuck some of you, but thank some of you.

I'm off to the bar to celebrate.

After CI, I'm going to wear a helmet and practice jiujitsu for life which some of you shunned me for but guess what? Not a damn thing is gonna stop me from doing what I love. I'm going to compete, win, and maybe one day you'll hear of the underdog deaf and blind warrior. That's gonna be ME baby.

Peace.

Wow dude! some of us tried to give the best opinion we could. We were only trying to look out for your well being. I'm sorry that you have gone through some stress the past few days over this I myself know what the thinking process is like in determing wether to get this surgery is worth it or not.. I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do...

Whoa whoa whoa..
I meant that I want to do these things BEFORE getting an implant.
I know I was very clear in my post.

Okay Alicia I've had it.. I've been too apologetic and I felt as if I've been walking on egg shells with you.

You haven't been very nice, understanding, and demonstrated no intelligence whatsoever in your posts.

Dear Alicia,

I'm off to a bar now to celebrate the good news in which you tried to convince me was never going to be a reality and it really hurt me to the point where I've been completely numb with depression for 2 days until I saw a doctor about this.

If it makes you feel better, I feel like I'm the true idiot for taking some internet retard too seriously.
It still will never change the fact that you're a fucking idiot.

Anyone can tell from my posts I've literally been walking on egg shells with some of you people. I did this to get honest information and to AVOID a flame war, but now that I've gotten my answers from someone who's not a fucking idiot, go ahead and bash the shit out of me. It will never change the fact that I think some of you are fucking terrible people.

I really wanted advice from people who had CI themselves but instead I got pretentious bullshit.

Holy shit lady I've read your other posts and can tell you're going to shelter your precious 'Li-Li' to the point of her possibly developing severe social anxiety. Holy fucking shit lady just let her go. I wouldn't be surprised if you lock her in a friggin' bubble when she goes outside. You're not protecting your daughter, you're just destroying her developmental process!

After CI, I'm going to wear a helmet and practice jiujitsu for life which some of you shunned me for but guess what? Not a damn thing is gonna stop me from doing what I love. I'm going to compete, win, and maybe one day you'll hear of the underdog deaf and blind warrior. That's gonna be ME baby.

Peace.

Dear Tigerbar,

We, myself included, have done nothing but try to give you good advice on this forum. My girlfriend, like I said who has much more experience then you do in jiu jitsu, even said a lot of head injuries occur in the sport and someone with a CI should just take extra precaution when doing the sport as it can be dangerous.
How do you figure that I haven't demonstrated intelligence in my posts. Do you know me? No the F you don't. You've been in this forum for all of two days with people commenting on your thread to try to help you and you act like a JERK to US when all we are trying to do is help. Don't tell ME to STFU when YOU are the newbie here learn some frigging manners.
I will admit that I'm SORRY if I read your statement wrong, but maybe it should have been more CLEAR that you meant you were going to do those things PRE-CI. Furthermore, unless you are the one who can't read I am quite capable of spelling thank you so very much!

No one here convinced you that you couldn't get a CI. If you thought that then it was your mind that came to the conclusions not anyone here. You say to US " sorry if I'm being a dick but..." because you want an "official answer" We AREN'T CI surgeons here...we gave our honest opinions on the matter and whether you took them into account is not our problem! This is a FORUM where anyone can post their opinion and thoughts. If you were looking for everyone to kiss your ass you came to the wrong place.

I hope you are successful in your endeavors and your CI journey. Like I said my girlfriend knows jiu jitsu and she loves the sport. You seem passionate about it and that's great. All we ever tried to say was BE CAREFUL because SHIT happens and none of us here would want YOU to be that unfortunate person with internal damage to their CI.

Also if you are referring to me as the idiot, I truly feel sorry for you. You obviously are an attention seeker and just want to make a fool of yourself. Your opinion of me doesn't matter as I know I am highly intelligent. Hope you have a great life and I would say see you around, but that would be an overstatement because I hope I don't

Yours Truly and Sincerely,
Alicia
:ty:

Peace.
:shock: It was nice meeting you! But that title is already mine! Except for the underdog part. :bye:

ok tigerbar do u no how often i have wanted to write a post like that but dont go away hang around and have a laugh at the we are so much better than you posts.they can be rolling round the floor laughing funny but yea they are wrapped in cotton wool

I was gonna reply to this earlier yesterday but forgot to.

For one, relax. Congrats on being able to get your CI. No one here really said you couldn't get it. No one here really knew the right answer, which is why some said to ask a professional. After all, you did ask for an "official" opinion. People tried to offer their opinions. Take it for what it's worth. Hopefully after you get your CI, you will probably be one of very few martial artists with one and you will be able to provide others with the same advice you once sought. No one shunned you for a minute about being in JiuJitsu. You seemed like you were at a crossroads and people simply offered some opinions. You can't really get mad about opening a thread in a public forum seeking opinions and disliking what some opinions were. Also, it's just a forum, it's for fun to so it's ok to be a little lax on grammar etc. It doesn't dictate one's intelligence. Keep in mind, some people on here use ASL as their first language and it's structure is a little different from English.

There are really no limitations in martial arts. Hearing, you don't really need it if that were to happen. The only thing hearing benefits is hearing your coach cornering you in a match. Sight, you could do without it. I guess you haven't done much blindfold training. My old club's black belt exam required 3 rounds of blindfolded JiuJitsu circle against multiple attackers. I found blindfold training to be really beneficial to my reaction times etc since it was all based on touch. In an old Bushido magazine I have lying around there was an article about a man who was in a wheel chair and lugged his chair up the stairs to his dojo daily and managed to achieve his black belt. I've found JiuJitsu to be about finding alternatives to situations. If your JiuJitsu community is so strong, understand that they will not turn on you as your vision/hearing deteriorates.

What I'm trying to get at is that although you are depressed and in a tough spot, life is what you make it. Nothing is really impossible if you set your sights on it. You previously mentioned that you were suffering from depression, so don't blame people on here for putting you into a two day depression. That's just not fair. Honestly, what you said about doing things that CI's typically do not permit, that was a little confusing. I know your depression may make you a little pessimistic with this forum thus far, but it's a good resource for you. So, for me, I won't hold your posts against you, even if you said some pretty mean things to my girlfriend and others on here. I'm hoping the good news in your favour gives you the hope you need to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope you take life by the horns and get in the driver's seat.

Whoa whoa whoa..

Wow. I'm the one who said that you could do anything except deep sea dive and that while I wasn't about to let my 4 YEAR OLD -- who does martial arts, gymnastics, horsebackriding, and skis -- start mma / kickboxing, my worry was entirely based on her being a lovely little girl I didn't want to get hurt in general and NOT based on any limitations around her CI.

For you and anyone else who thinks I was serious about rolling my child in packing beans, that was a JOKE.

And yes, she is precious. But I'm not, so just bite me, you little twit.

You have a lot of nerve coming on here and saying things about other members of this forum when you've been here so little time. If a parent doesn't want her child doing some sports that are dangerous in the first place that is her decision not yours. You need a reality check on life and I hope you get that when you get your CI and you learn everything on your own the hard way without help from anyone because obviously you don't value peoples thoughts, opinions or experience.

Somebody needs a
chill_pill.jpg

Wow. I'm the one who said that you could do anything except deep sea dive and that while I wasn't about to let my 4 YEAR OLD -- who does martial arts, gymnastics, horsebackriding, and skis -- start mma / kickboxing, my worry was entirely based on her being a lovely little girl I didn't want to get hurt in general and NOT based on any limitations around her CI.

For you and anyone else who thinks I was serious about rolling my child in packing beans, that was a JOKE.

And yes, she is precious. But I'm not, so just bite me, you little twit.

:ily:

Thanks for the replies but perhaps I wasn't clear.

I understand I can't wear hearing aids when I fight.
I take off my current hearing aids when I roll anyway.

I just want to know if it's okay to wrestle/fight with a chip inside my head.

Does Matt Hamill have CI?

No. Matt Hamill does not have CI. My point is - he is deaf and he doesn't need CI or a capability to hear when fighting in UFC.

so if he can do it, so can you.

No. Matt Hamill does not have CI. My point is - he is deaf and he doesn't need CI or a capability to hear when fighting in UFC.

so if he can do it, so can you.

Too late, Jiro. He is in a bar, weeping into his beer and roaring at the flies heckling him. Tsk.

I mow this thread is 2 yrs old but I'm wondering how things turned out for you tiger bar. Are you still rolling? I have a CI also and also train BJJ. I just use a headgear and take off the external piece when rolling. The headgear that I found that provides the most coverage. (ie covers the electrode) is the ASICS Conquest. I don't like the headgear but there's really no choice. The electrodes ate made or titanium but I doubt they'd last througgh a direct blow at the same time. Keep rolling!

Back