Cochlear Implants And Deaf Culture

Leila18

Reaction score
I'm Leila, 18 years old and hoping to go into Audiology later this year. I am doing my college dissertation on cochlear implants and Deaf culture. As part of this, I am conducting a questionnaire for deaf individuals and analysing the responses. I would really appreciate it if I could get some participants!
It takes literally less than 5 minutes. Here the link:

Thank you :aw:

Looks like I can't insert the link :(
www . surveynuts . com / surveys / take?id=59488&c=750500625VLDT

I'm Leila, 18 years old and hoping to go into Audiology later this year. I am doing my college dissertation on cochlear implants and Deaf culture. As part of this, I am conducting a questionnaire for deaf individuals and analysing the responses. I would really appreciate it if I could get some participants!
It takes literally less than 5 minutes. Here the link:

Thank you :aw:

While this is a forum with deaf people, it is a forum of deaf people with different backgrounds. Your survey assumes too much with questions asking you to numerically rate the the impact CIs have on deaf culture with no option for: "I don't give a shit."

That is not to be rude.... it's to remind you that Grandma, who just lost her hearing, is getting a CI and doesn't give a shit about the majority of your survey. It's to remind you that deaf people who identify with and reside within Deaf Culture do not hold a monopoly on being deaf or the deaf experience. It's to remind you that hearing people go deaf, they aren't suddenly part of deaf culture, and most likely never will be. They are the majority... not Deaf Culture.

You state your survey is for deaf individuals. It is evident that it is actually for those individuals that identify as part of Deaf Culture. That should probably be clarified in advance. Also, keep in mind as you study and immerse yourself in Deaf Culture that it is very much a "me me me" culture that disregards the millions who share a disability (which isn't one, for those with semantics issues) and little else with them. They speak only for themselves, understandably. You are learning about that culture, not deaf people. Don't begin running around signing to random people in the street with a hearing aid or CI. It is very likely to not be their language or one they understand. Bottomline: deaf does not equal Deaf Culture. Learn about both if you want to be truly knowledgeable.

Keep in mind though that what Bleeding Purist is saying about Deaf Culture is Bleeding Purist's view. Other people views are that Deaf Culture is not a "me me me" culture as they put it. I grew up oral, learned of Deaf Culture when I entered college. While I'm not exactly in the middle of Deaf Culture (more on the fringe as I don't get out much these days), I would never in a million years consider Deaf Culture 'me me me' in general. Like every other culture or community of course there are self serving, me me me types... including within the CI community.

For the answer to this: "Your survey assumes too much with questions asking you to numerically rate the the impact CIs have on deaf culture with no option for: "I don't give a shit." "- the respondent can always mark 1 for that answer (or 0 if there is one). If she does revise it, N/A would be appropriate.

Also, keep in mind as you study and immerse yourself in Deaf Culture that it is very much a "me me me" culture that disregards the millions who share a disability (which isn't one, for those with semantics issues) and little else with them. They speak only for themselves, understandably. You are learning about that culture, not deaf people. Don't begin running around signing to random people in the street with a hearing aid or CI. It is very likely to not be their language or one they understand. Bottomline: deaf does not equal Deaf Culture. Learn about both if you want to be truly knowledgeable.
Oh, Bleeding, you are such a separatist!! The late deafened CI users are so easy to spot. I love to smile at them and watch their eyes go wide with terror that I might start signing. :applause:

CI Community? You mean people who come from various backgrounds that happen to have a CI? So you are claiming Deaf Studies does not focus on Deaf Culture and is inclusive of "Grandma" or does it focus on Deaf Culture?

Me pointing out there are other types of deaf people is not "me, me, me." Me pointing out this forum is made up of different types of deaf people is not "me, me, me."

Oh, Bleeding, you are such a separatist!! The late deafened CI users are so easy to spot. I love to smile at them and watch their eyes go wide with terror that I might start signing. :applause:

Separatist. I do not think you know that that means.

As for "watch their eyes go wide with terror that I might start signing".... that is bizarre. If your language is sign language and it's the only way you have to communicate, there is nothing wrong with that. If your approach is diplomatic in the sense that it tries to teach so that you can communicate.. there is nothing wrong with that. What you describe is unnecessary and disrespectful assholery towards someone who hasn't done anything to you and assumes too much about them. Why would their eyes "go wide with terror?" Because they feel bad they cannot respond to you? Perhaps they've ran into someone like you before while they were minding their own business and realized this signing deaf person began making snooty faces after the non-signer was unable to reply?

It's fine to ask someone if they sign, but that should be the end of it. If they do, you've made a connection. If they don't, that should be the end of it and not followed up with disdain from either side. Respect the different types of deaf people out there without thinking your way is the only way.

Bleeding Purist, yes.....the majority of dhh people are late deafened. That doesn't mean that there isn't a subpopulation that WOULDN"T find this survey very helpful. Most if not all pediatric dhh kids CAN strongly benefit from a bilingal and full toolbox approach.

Back