Cochlear Implants Accepted?

I guess you don't see that HAs and CIs are two very different things.

HAs don't involve risky surgery and you can take them off if they bug you.

I don't know what you're getting at but I see some over-sensitive people here.

Actually, with due respect - Some of us are not over-sensitive as you may think we are. It is just that we only have our opinions and you are entitled to yours too. Let's not get all hasty here, okay? :)

Anyway, I have friends who wears CI but I don't shun them out just because they have CI. They are always the same person before they got their CI's. The only peeve I have with some of those who wears CI - Some of them have the attitude that says "I'm better than you because I can hear things you can't". For most of them, they are welcoming and they are willing to share their experiences with us which is a good start. :)

one thing that i really hate about this CI or no CI debate is that hearing people just cant seem to understand the deaf people's point of view. there are many aginst CIs and many for it...but all the hearing people understand is that it would help the Deaf integrate into the hearing society. i am not deaf...but the amazing teacher who is teaching me ASL in school was born without one of her ears and is now only about 25% hearing, and that too is fading...she told my class one day to look at the 'need' to integrate the deaf into hearing society...take a deaf person and put them in a room full of hearing people who dont sign and it's akward and hard to understand what's going on, then do the opposite and put one hearing person in a room full of deaf people...who needs to integrate then?

AMEN!!!!! Thanku for understanding the deaf person's feelings!!!

I'm not oversensitive, but I am sensitive if you don't get the facts straight.
Every person that gets CI KNOWS ahead of time of the risks. We are still alive and kicking. We're just tired of hearing deaf people making a comment while they have NO clue about ANYTHING about getting a CI. So, there will be some people that will get defensive.

Getting plastic surgery, heart surgery is way more riskier than getting a CI.

I can take off my CI processor anytime I want if it bugs me. It's not glued on to my head.

I feel like I start bad feelings and debate when all I was ultimately trying to say was "I don't like it when people hate each other" before they know a person.

Maybe I just internalizing something that didn't really happen or what, but if I peaved anyone off. I just love for people to take a step back once in a while when you are about to say something about someone and remember they are a person too. I am trying not to get too philosophical or professing I am perfect. ......yeah maybe I am oversensitive...- but it is no with respect to a CI debate.

I feel like I start bad feelings and debate when all I was ultimately trying to say was "I don't like it when people hate each other" before they know a person.

Maybe I just internalizing something that didn't really happen or what, but if I peaved anyone off. I just love for people to take a step back once in a while when you are about to say something about someone and remember they are a person too. I am trying not to get too philosophical or professing I am perfect. ......yeah maybe I am oversensitive...- but it is no with respect to a CI debate.

Some of us run off at the mouth or hands. I'm guilty. However, sometimes when people make a post on these forums and then insult people who has a CI, and then get the facts all mixed up. It drives us batty at times. For example, there's some deaf people who thinks the CI is implanted on the brain. We can tell them all the facts, but more often than not, they're just stubborn to listen.

There's ALWAYS debate wars going on...some of us THRIVE on them. :)

I'm not oversensitive, but I am sensitive if you don't get the facts straight.
Every person that gets CI KNOWS ahead of time of the risks.

Every person doesn't know of it ahead of time: Cochlear Implant Could Cause Illness - Associated Content

Look under the "Failure to immunize": US FDA/CDRH: FDA Public Health Notification: Importance of Vaccination in Cochlear Implant Recipients which points out that the patients don't know of the risks ahead of time.

Look under "Preventing Meningitis in Children with Cochlear Implants": FDA Patient Safety News: Show #70, December 2007

We are still alive and kicking.

As of November 2002, 17 of you guys unfortunately are not alive and kicking: Concern continues over meningitis link with cochlear implants. (Health And Safety). | Biomedical Materials | Find Articles at BNET

Kate Engle: Girl Dies Of Bacterial Meningitis - News Archive Story - KETV Omaha make it another death since 2002. I am sure there are more out there that didn't make into the papers.

We're just tired of hearing deaf people making a comment while they have NO clue about ANYTHING about getting a CI. So, there will be some people that will get defensive.

I can say the same thing about CI people not getting their facts straight, too. There are some doctors that won't implant the child if the parents plan on using ASL. Anybody who cause the language delay in a deaf child is no good in my book. That means HAs/CIs without the use of ASL. The hearing people really do put too much faith in CIs. They really don't realize that CI could fail and not all implanted children would understand every spoken word. They also don't realized that if the grown child won't be able to afford to replace the broken CI if the child is working in a low-paying job.

Getting plastic surgery, heart surgery is way more riskier than getting a CI.

Sometimes it is a lot more risker in not getting a heart surgery than to have a heart surgery. Sometimes, it is alot more risker in not getting a plastic surgery to correct burn scars (for example: Compassion in Action/Koinonia Primary Care - scars can cause problems with movements) than to have surgery to remove those scars.

I can take off my CI processor anytime I want if it bugs me. It's not glued on to my head.

One can remove a WHOLE hearing aid while one can't remove a WHOLE CI without undergoing another surgery. Often the doctors won't remove the inner part of CI as long as it is not life-threatening to the user.

I do read alot on CI. I disagree with CI because I don't condone the language delay and death of a deaf child.

What is the drama! :roll: That's no respect to create of thread. She want to know about deaf culture accept CI. I disagree with people's negative posts. It's disrespectful! I am still taking a CI. I don't care what you guys think about me. That's my decide! I am still use ASL and CI. Who cares?? :roll:

Deafness is not an illness. I wish people would stop treating it as such.

It's how the world is. Look at what happened to Bell, he tried to exterminate deaf people, dude, literally. Anyway, of course deafness is, absolutely, in no way, is NOT an illness. Deafness is simply just a missing ability to hear... it's no big deal. That's really all to it, no more less. We still get our vision where we communicate through our means of ASL. So we, deafies, will do just fine, PERFECTLY fine and function pretty as much as most hearing people can do except hear. It doesn't include talking. Some of us can talk. I know because I could.

It's how the world is. Look at what happened to Bell, he tried to exterminate deaf people, dude, literally. Anyway, of course deafness is, absolutely, in no way, is NOT an illness. Deafness is simply just a missing ability to hear... it's no big deal. That's really all to it, no more less. We still get our vision where we communicate through our means of ASL. So we, deafies, will do just fine, PERFECTLY fine and function pretty as much as most hearing people can do except hear. It doesn't include talking. Some of us can talk. I know because I could.

:gpost:

Deafness is not an illness. I wish people would stop treating it as such.

Just because I make a choice to have CIs does not mean I view it as an illness. I do not.

Several of these comments cause me to be thankful that my real life does not contain this type of drama. The people I am around have taken the time to education themselves to my choice. I am thankful that my family supports my choice.

In my life I disagree. I was not able to do my career to the best of my abilty with my residual hearing. My real life was not perfectly fine. It was far from it. The migraines from hearing aids, the tinnutis from lack of hearing, the pain the serious pain - my life was not perfectly fine.

Not everyone has the same experiences, if that was the case then it would be one side fits all. Each and everyone has different experiences and different path in life. I made the choice for bilateral cochlear implants. That is my choice, I also respect others' choice. If you chose not to wear hearing aids or wear hearing aids, it is your choice. These comments make me thankful that my life contains a warm, caring family that accepts me.

As of November 2002, 17 of you guys unfortunately are not alive and kicking: Concern continues over meningitis link with cochlear implants. (Health And Safety). | Biomedical Materials | Find Articles at BNET

I do read alot on CI. I disagree with CI because I don't condone the language delay and death of a deaf child.

Let's put this into perspective. Worldwide, about 100 CI users have died in total, mostly with the older AB CIs with the positioner, which is no longer manufacturered and often not having had vaccinations or kept up with them. Also some of the cases have question marks over them in terms of having etiologies of deafness that made them at high risk of meningitis with or without CIs. There is also an unknown percentage of cases who may have got their meningitis through the process of surgery, which it is theorized, may open a pathway for bacteria to get to the brain,

Worldwide there are 120,000 total CI users. This makes a percentage of 0.1% of users having died. This figure would be even lower for those with non AB or later generation implants and not having etiologies already linked with meningitis.

You can significantly reduce this risk by keeping up with vaccinations and not getting the old AB model with the positioner (a bit hard since they are not made any more). Scientists are currently working on reducing risks further by experimenting with safer ways of performing surgery. So the future is looking reasonably positive even for those concerned about the very small risk.

I agree with you. It's good post. I don't need to read the links from someone who against CI. :nono: I don't need to be panic. I will ask to future CI doctor for many many many questions before I have operation.

Let's put this into perspective. Worldwide, about 100 CI users have died in total, mostly with the older AB CIs with the positioner, which is no longer manufacturered and often not having had vaccinations or kept up with them. Also some of the cases have question marks over them in terms of having etiologies of deafness that made them at high risk of meningitis with or without CIs. There is also an unknown percentage of cases who may have got their meningitis through the process of surgery, which it is theorized, may open a pathway for bacteria to get to the brain,

Worldwide there are 120,000 total CI users. This makes a percentage of 0.1% of users having died. This figure would be even lower for those with non AB or later generation implants and not having etiologies already linked with meningitis.

You can significantly reduce this risk by keeping up with vaccinations and not getting the old AB model with the positioner (a bit hard since they are not made any more). Scientists are currently working on reducing risks further by experimenting with safer ways of performing surgery. So the future is looking reasonably positive even for those concerned about the very small risk.

That's true. You're right.

In my life I disagree. I was not able to do my career to the best of my abilty with my residual hearing. My real life was not perfectly fine. It was far from it. The migraines from hearing aids, the tinnutis from lack of hearing, the pain the serious pain - my life was not perfectly fine.

Not everyone has the same experiences, if that was the case then it would be one side fits all. Each and everyone has different experiences and different path in life. I made the choice for bilateral cochlear implants. That is my choice, I also respect others' choice. If you chose not to wear hearing aids or wear hearing aids, it is your choice. These comments make me thankful that my life contains a warm, caring family that accepts me.

Hey people who is against CI and want to make her look bad. :topic: Let her be happy to hear with CI. You don't need to criticize on CI user. Just respect them.

Let CI user explain to Deaf_CIgirl about deaf culture and hearing culture between.

:gpost:

I agree with you. It's good post. I don't need to read the links from someone who against CI. :nono: I don't need to be panic. I will ask to future CI doctor for many many many questions before I have operation.

That's the right thing to do. Do your research about the risks and make your own decisions. I'm not saying do not look at the information provided by people who are not favourable about CIs but their viewpoints have to be taken into account in the context of the particular information provided (as with any viewpoint - I hasten to add).

In My deaf community, Most deaf people here don't really care much for implants. I know alot of deaf friends of mine who got implants. And, umm, My mom was signing to one of the deaf adults who knew me very well right when i was 3 years old at least when i lost my hearing and my mom immeditaly picked up on some sign language for me so she could communicate with me. And alot of the deaf adults told her that I shouldn't get an Implant and I should just be left alone because i was fine with just hearing aids and I was fine with just the way I am now. But I made the decision to have an Implant beacuse I wasn't all so happy about not being able to hear through my left ear because my left ear is 100% deaf. My right ear is partically deaf. I can hear very little thru my right ear. Anyways, What I'm guessing from here is because They don't believe in cochlear implants. Because Its such a permament thing. And I'm guessing once again they're afraid that it might ruin something inside or its something else. And I know alot of deaf people are "Deaf Proud." I am too, But I can be "Hearing Proud" too. I can be both. So, I still have an Implant. I'm going into high school in 2 weeks as a freshman. I'm turning 15 in 3 weeks on tuesday. I'm in the marching band. Plus without my speech thearpy, my hearing aid, and my implant, and alot of experience of lip-reading; I wouldn't be able to make it into the marching band without it. And i'm so glad. Because I wanted to be in that marching band in my high school for a long time.

Back