Cochlear Implant War Forum??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So am I shel, I m not blaming the whole deaf community, sorry you thought I was.

Smile..I wanted to make it clear just in case there were any parents of deaf children reading this. They could have taken your statement literally. It seems that many hearing people are looking for anything negative about the Deaf community. Yes, the Deaf community has its flaws but what community doesnt? I would hope those hearing parents dont use this CI War forum as an excuse to prevent their children from meeting the Deaf community.

I really hope that is not the case. I hope they are just trying to find resources, anything to assist in how to raise their child. I like to think parents are smart enough to weed through all the crap on the internet to get to the great stuff.

From my experience both personally and professionally, it is the case most of the time.

LOL...I not only got banned, I got a nasty email from Sweetmind telling me that I was a fraud and didn't really have any concern for the deaf rights of children because I said that CI should be a choice. I guess because my decision was not to implant my own child until he was old enough to understand the implications and have input into the decision she thought that meant that I did not support the right of other parents to make their own choice. Didn't much like it when I said that CI had provided benefits to many deaf individuals.:giggle:

Funny....she thought I was anti-CI and was pissed when she finally understood my postion. And Rick48 still continues to insist that I am anti-CI. One extremist from one side, and one extremist from the opposite side both accusing the moderates of being extreme, and using the accusation like an insult. Really pretty funny when you think about it.

Same here! I got a nasty one from her too and yes, I have Rick48 calling me anti-CI too. We cant win, can we but who cares anyway. LOL!

Smile..I wanted to make it clear just in case there were any parents of deaf children reading this. They could have taken your statement literally. It seems that many hearing people are looking for anything negative about the Deaf community. Yes, the Deaf community has its flaws but what community doesnt? I would hope those hearing parents dont use this CI War forum as an excuse to prevent their children from meeting the Deaf community.

So true, you're absolutely right, I apologize for stating that.

I really hope that is not the case. I hope they are just trying to find resources, anything to assist in how to raise their child. I like to think parents are smart enough to weed through all the crap on the internet to get to the great stuff.

I just hope you're right Vallee. I do admit that I miss some of the hearing parents of the deaf children with CI. I missed their stories, and I know some of them still sign to their children. I just recently saw Drew's dad posting in another thread, I was just so happy seeing him back. I just wanted to hear how their children are doing so far.

LOL...I not only got banned, I got a nasty email from Sweetmind telling me that I was a fraud and didn't really have any concern for the deaf rights of children because I said that CI should be a choice. I guess because my decision was not to implant my own child until he was old enough to understand the implications and have input into the decision she thought that meant that I did not support the right of other parents to make their own choice. Didn't much like it when I said that CI had provided benefits to many deaf individuals.:giggle:

Funny....she thought I was anti-CI and was pissed when she finally understood my postion. And Rick48 still continues to insist that I am anti-CI. One extremist from one side, and one extremist from the opposite side both accusing the moderates of being extreme, and using the accusation like an insult. Really pretty funny when you think about it.

Ha, ha... you have a way with extremists. I just find this hilariously ironic...

I made it very clear to them that I was both pro CI and pro Bi-Bi and that earned me a ban on my first day. I came back as Deafskeptic2.

Yea, I agree with u. Unfortunately, many parents are drawn to the Hearing Exchange forum and follow whatever that woman tells them. :roll:

I think I would have been banned too if I stayed there as it would've been clear that I don't support Oral only.

Have you visited Hearing Exchange?

Let me explain to you what has been my experience both professionally and personally.

When a parent receives a diagnosis that their child is deaf (or developmentally disabled, or has CP, or spina bifida, or autism, or any other disabilty) their first and normal reaction is "What can I do to fix this? How can I make this go away so that my child and I have the normal life I thought we were going to have?" Their intial search for answers is guided by this stage in the process of acceptance.

The vast majority of disabilties are not invisable. You see evidence of the disability every time you look at your child. Other family members can see it. People who pass you on the street can see it. You are confronted with your child's disability is such a way that it is almost impossible not to move through this initial stage of denial and on to eventual acceptance.

However, deafness is an invisable disabilty. You can't see it. The only way it can be detected my others is if lack of speech skills or signing makes it evident. It is easy to deny the impact of your child's deafness if you do everything you can to make them appear less deaf. Parents quite often concentrate on making sure the outward signs of deafness are not immediately evident so they can remain in denial of the impact of the part of deafness that can't be seen.

"My child can hear with HA or CI." "My child can speak well." "My child doesn't need sign or the deaf community." "My child lives in the hearing world." "My child doesn't need a terp." "My child will not have to attend a school for the deaf, but can go to a regular school with hearing kids."

What do all of these comments have in common? An attempt to keep the deafness as invisable as possible. As long as no one sees it, as long as it isn't in your face everytime you look at your child, you can continue to deny that it is there. Not only that, but you can believe that you have accomplished your intial desire to "make it go away." You can hold onto the feeling of omnipotence.

But it is a very shaky position to be in. Sooner or later, something or someone is going to point out that, despite superficial appearances, the deafness is still there. You haven't been able to make it go away. You are not omnipotent, after all. When that happens, the parent who has never moved out of denial and into accpetance will react with anger and defensiveness. They will claim that you are criticising their child, that you are saying they are "bad parents." They will rant about how they have done everything they could to help their child, and they will point out the uniqueness of their child. They will tell you how their child is different. Their child is not like "all those other deaf kids, and all those deaf adults that tell them differently." They react so vehemently because the fantasy they have created for their child...that as long as the deafness isn't visable, we can all pretend is just doesn't exist and doesn't matter, and my child is not different afterall, is being challenged. Rightly so. They are being faced with reality, rather than what they want reality to be, and what they have put so much time and effort into not seeing.

I see deaf students every day whose parents are still in this stage of denial. I hear the stories of deaf adults who tell me their parents have never moved through this stage despite the fact that the "child" is now a 30 year old adult and have been deaf all of their life. I see hearing parents on this very forum that have never moved through it. I have seen these parents of some of my son's deaf friends. I have seen these parents everywhere. And it is sad. It is sad for both the parent and the child, because they spend so much time creating and reinforcing their denial that they never get to know their child on a complete level. They never know who their child truly is, but only know their child as an image that they have created. How many times has one of these parents remarked, upon being told how their adult deaf child feels and the pain they experienced growing up, "I never knew you felt that way. I did everything I could to make sure you had a 'normal' life." Denial. How many of these parents, when their deaf child grows up and learns sign says, "But you can speak. Why do you need sign?" Denial.

The fact of the matter is, it is painful to get past the denial. More painful that working so hard to maintain it. It involves admitting that your child is not the same child that you thought you were going raise, and you really have no idea how to address his or her needs. It involves admitting that you need help. It involves accepting not just your child's deafness, but your own lack of power. Oh, no, it is much easieir to seek out that which will allow you to live in the state of denial, it is much easier to surround yourself with those who will support the world you have created. It is much easier to surround yourself with people who reinforce your perceptions than it is to be around those that force you to see reality. But remaining in that denial takes a lot of energy and effort. It takes so much energy and effort, in fact, that you have no energy left to actually interact on a meaningful level with your child. You compromise your relationship, and in the end, you and your child both loose.

These parents are more numerous in relation to deafness than with any other disability simply because of the nature of deafness.

Same here! I got a nasty one from her too and yes, I have Rick48 calling me anti-CI too. We cant win, can we but who cares anyway. LOL!

You too? Jillio and you are naturals with extremists. LOL. I only got banned on my first day and this was before I got implanted. I never got any notes from Sweetmind. :tears:

You too? Jillio and you are naturals with extremists. LOL. I only got banned on my first day and this was before I got implanted. I never got any notes from Sweetmind. :tears:

Don't cry. Consider yourself lucky! :giggle:

Yeppers...the estremists on both sides just seem to LOVE me and shel!:giggle:

Sadly... Gone the mad!
I have nothing, What I can do w/other forums.. Their own choice.. Of course as far I know her since but she is the one losing marbles!

Actually I do support tiny things.
I do not approval Hearing parents think the best one choice way for implant tiny baby which baby isn't perfect.. Decide to have surgery and make a baby perfect child! What make me sick full of my somatch.. because baby have no power to speak it out their voice.. Sadly.. I do agree more and also otherwise, Young Children or Teenager or Adult can make their decision and want have implant that's fine as long their choice.. but BABIES cannot speak their voice as rights!

Pretty Scary out there... what more: Hospital or other agency will say.. CI no other opinions! Will be always 1 opinions no other 2nd opinions.

I'm not here for debate w/you others..
Just My insects feelings and doesn't want Deaf Community become Grave and good bye SIGN LANGUAGES. Guess What, 94% percent CI-children will be always not allowed Sign Languages in Ontario, Canada some where the School.. I was very extremely upset about this one because Child will not find their own identity's.. *Break my heart*
Child's future will not knowledge about sign languages.. That big huge difficulties..

Look the back years 1944'ish sumth'n... Simlair alike Nazi's Hitler type wanted "Wipe the Jews and disabilities people off and go to Gas Chambers building", and wanted pure strong bloodline of Germany or perfect Blondie hair woman.. Their point of view preferences..
Exact simlair alike CI (Doctor and other agency really wanted see perfect child instead disabilities child.) Sound huge discrimination what Deaf people's feeling? Deaf ppl will not exist in the future. How can you deal with ?

These parents are more numerous in relation to deafness than with any other disability simply because of the nature of deafness.

Deafness is not the only invisable disability. Asperger syndrome can also be quite invisable unless it's really severe. In fact I don't bother telling too many people I have it because they often simply don't believe me.

Deafness is not the only invisable disability. Asperger syndrome can also be quite invisable unless it's really severe. In fact I don't bother telling too many people I have it because they often simply don't believe me.

Oh, I agree. Asperger's is quite invisable. Especially because so many people with Asperger's are very, very high functioning. There is no outward clue that a person has it. I idn't mean to imply that deafness was the only invisable disability. I was just trying to explain the connection with the factor of invisability to the way parents get stuck in denial.

Have you visited Hearing Exchange?

Let me explain to you what has been my experience both professionally and personally.

When a parent receives a diagnosis that their child is deaf (or developmentally disabled, or has CP, or spina bifida, or autism, or any other disabilty) their first and normal reaction is "What can I do to fix this? How can I make this go away so that my child and I have the normal life I thought we were going to have?" Their intial search for answers is guided by this stage in the process of acceptance.

The vast majority of disabilties are not invisable. You see evidence of the disability every time you look at your child. Other family members can see it. People who pass you on the street can see it. You are confronted with your child's disability is such a way that it is almost impossible not to move through this initial stage of denial and on to eventual acceptance.

However, deafness is an invisable disabilty. You can't see it. The only way it can be detected my others is if lack of speech skills or signing makes it evident. It is easy to deny the impact of your child's deafness if you do everything you can to make them appear less deaf. Parents quite often concentrate on making sure the outward signs of deafness are not immediately evident so they can remain in denial of the impact of the part of deafness that can't be seen.

"My child can hear with HA or CI." "My child can speak well." "My child doesn't need sign or the deaf community." "My child lives in the hearing world." "My child doesn't need a terp." "My child will not have to attend a school for the deaf, but can go to a regular school with hearing kids."

What do all of these comments have in common? An attempt to keep the deafness as invisable as possible. As long as no one sees it, as long as it isn't in your face everytime you look at your child, you can continue to deny that it is there. Not only that, but you can believe that you have accomplished your intial desire to "make it go away." You can hold onto the feeling of omnipotence.

But it is a very shaky position to be in. Sooner or later, something or someone is going to point out that, despite superficial appearances, the deafness is still there. You haven't been able to make it go away. You are not omnipotent, after all. When that happens, the parent who has never moved out of denial and into accpetance will react with anger and defensiveness. They will claim that you are criticising their child, that you are saying they are "bad parents." They will rant about how they have done everything they could to help their child, and they will point out the uniqueness of their child. They will tell you how their child is different. Their child is not like "all those other deaf kids, and all those deaf adults that tell them differently." They react so vehemently because the fantasy they have created for their child...that as long as the deafness isn't visable, we can all pretend is just doesn't exist and doesn't matter, and my child is not different afterall, is being challenged. Rightly so. They are being faced with reality, rather than what they want reality to be, and what they have put so much time and effort into not seeing.

I see deaf students every day whose parents are still in this stage of denial. I hear the stories of deaf adults who tell me their parents have never moved through this stage despite the fact that the "child" is now a 30 year old adult and have been deaf all of their life. I see hearing parents on this very forum that have never moved through it. I have seen these parents of some of my son's deaf friends. I have seen these parents everywhere. And it is sad. It is sad for both the parent and the child, because they spend so much time creating and reinforcing their denial that they never get to know their child on a complete level. They never know who their child truly is, but only know their child as an image that they have created. How many times has one of these parents remarked, upon being told how their adult deaf child feels and the pain they experienced growing up, "I never knew you felt that way. I did everything I could to make sure you had a 'normal' life." Denial. How many of these parents, when their deaf child grows up and learns sign says, "But you can speak. Why do you need sign?" Denial.

The fact of the matter is, it is painful to get past the denial. More painful that working so hard to maintain it. It involves admitting that your child is not the same child that you thought you were going raise, and you really have no idea how to address his or her needs. It involves admitting that you need help. It involves accepting not just your child's deafness, but your own lack of power. Oh, no, it is much easieir to seek out that which will allow you to live in the state of denial, it is much easier to surround yourself with those who will support the world you have created. It is much easier to surround yourself with people who reinforce your perceptions than it is to be around those that force you to see reality. But remaining in that denial takes a lot of energy and effort. It takes so much energy and effort, in fact, that you have no energy left to actually interact on a meaningful level with your child. You compromise your relationship, and in the end, you and your child both loose.

It has been bookmarked in my favorites for a long time along with a lot of other interesting sites(I also have NAD bookmarked too). My hearing loss is progressive not overnight. So for most of my life I id myself as HOH or the term was hearing impaired many many years ago. That is what I googled. I think it depends on what you id yourself as.

I still believe in the good faith of parents. I see alot of parents accepting their childern's disability. I see wonderful parents who just want to get as much information and process it until they develop their own "what is the best way." I don't think it is to fix their child, I think it is to give their child the best resources they can. It might be a Hearing aid, CI and adding ASL.
they might feel that they need to at least try something. There is a lot of times I don't agree with their ideas, but they want what is best for their child. I give most parents credit for trying and reaching out.

Unfortunately, many parents are drawn to the Hearing Exchange forum and follow whatever that woman tells them
OMG YES!!! And the thing is, that woman is POSTLINGAL. Her experiances are so different from someone who's always had even a MILD loss. She's also very defensive if someone brings up another way of looking at things.....You can so tell she's been brainwashed into thinking "Oh hearing and talking are SO freeing. It's ASL etc that's the crutch"
Oh and I think that with sweetmind, she has severe difficulty understanding English. Even things that are very straightforward seem very difficult for her to understand.
Rick just can't see beyond the small percentage of uberhigh acheivers, that seem to make up the majority population of AG Bell.

Oh Boy :roll:

Let's Peace :ugh3:

OMG YES!!! And the thing is, that woman is POSTLINGAL. Her experiances are so different from someone who's always had even a MILD loss. She's also very defensive if someone brings up another way of looking at things.....You can so tell she's been brainwashed into thinking "Oh hearing and talking are SO freeing. It's ASL etc that's the crutch"
Oh and I think that with sweetmind, she has severe difficulty understanding English. Even things that are very straightforward seem very difficult for her to understand.
Rick just can't see beyond the small percentage of uberhigh acheivers, that seem to make up the majority population of AG Bell.

I thought Paula is a Prelingual? Her bio indicates that it's quite possible lost her hearing at age 3 or before that as she says she's been wearing hearing aids since she was 3. Of course, it's also possible that she's perilingal or post lingual.

Hmmmmm....................I remmy that she used to say that she started losing her hearing at age three, which would make her peri or post lingal.
I DO undy her perspective on things....it would be like me being born with normal vision, and gradually losing it. But the thing is, the gross majority of dhh folks have NEVER had "normal" hearing. Our experiances tend to be very different from even an early postie.
And I mean her site seems mostly helpful for those who ID as hearing impaired and who are involved with SHHH, and actively use ALDs and things like that.

Hmmmmm....................I remmy that she used to say that she started losing her hearing at age three, which would make her peri or post lingal.
I DO undy her perspective on things....it would be like me being born with normal vision, and gradually losing it. But the thing is, the gross majority of dhh folks have NEVER had "normal" hearing. Our experiances tend to be very different from even an early postie.
And I mean her site seems mostly helpful for those who ID as hearing impaired and who are involved with SHHH, and actively use ALDs and things like that.

I noticed that as well. So then she is postlingual after all. She does have a perspective similar to many posties. As for myself, I've no plans to get any ALD . I do hope I find a signaling system for my cellphone as I want to know if the phone is ringing if i'm asleep or otherwise not wearing the CI.

There is no outward clue that a person has it.
Ah that's slightly inaccurate. In mild cases yes, you can't tell. But, in some severe cases you can tell that something is wrong. There was this guy who went to my college who had Asperger's Syndrome, and it was VERY severe and obvious. You could tell just by looking at him, that something was wrong.......he looked like a homeless person, and there was just this vibe that he was very nereologically aytpical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back