Cochlear Implant REMOVAL surgeries qq

Fly Free

Reaction score
Do anyone here know of any cases where a CI implant was actually removed from the CI implantee due to headaches or whatever that might be annoying to the implantee qq

IS it possible to have the implant removed from the implantee at all qq

That's a good question... I don't know. That's something I wish people would think about when getting CIs.

There are a few instances of a Clarion being removed.

but as far as i know, a nucleus has not been removed yet.

not in my state anyway - i am very active in a panel for the CI users in nevada

From what I understand, a CI will not be removed unless there is a medical reason for doing so such as implant failure, protrusion, migration -- or even headaches (if they are chronic), etc.

Last edited:
Yes it is possible although if you are not re-implanted, you will lose whatever residual hearing you have in that ear. I am speaking from personal experience though - I had meningitis...so they took out the old implant and re-implanted me with a newer model. So yes, the old implant can be taken out, but at a cost. :(

Okay Tell me something and clear me up...

I had a ci myself but i need to know anybody who has a *3M* ci device under William F. House?

Wondering can i have my ci removed if still very old verison * channel 1*

All i heard that mostly of newer than channel 1 can removed and can have mri...

feed me more information if u know..

I met someone with bilateral CI implants who actually worked at the House Ear Institute in Los Angeles, and she was one of the older patients there. When she was starting out some 20+ years ago, she had some problems with headaches and also her facial muscles were twitching. She went back in to see her CI audiologist. The audiologist did some adjustments and the problem went away. Later on, she needed her CI to be replaced and they put in a new one. The last time I spoke with her, she was planning on upgrading and replacing her current CIs. So yes, they are removable and can be upgraded to newer models. Mind you, money will be a factor and medical insurance companies will try to avoid the cost.

CoolieFroggie said:

I had a ci myself but i need to know anybody who has a *3M* ci device under William F. House?

I am not sure if Cochlear now own and support 3M, correct me if I am wrong.

Mayflower said:
I met someone with bilateral CI implants who actually worked at the House Ear Institute in Los Angeles, and she was one of the older patients there. When she was starting out some 20+ years ago, she had some problems with headaches and also her facial muscles were twitching. She went back in to see her CI audiologist. The audiologist did some adjustments and the problem went away. Later on, she needed her CI to be replaced and they put in a new one. The last time I spoke with her, she was planning on upgrading and replacing her current CIs. So yes, they are removable and can be upgraded to newer models. Mind you, money will be a factor and medical insurance companies will try to avoid the cost.
Is that same person who ran office for CIAI (cochlear implant association) she had CI for 22+ years and on 22th year her 1 channel died and got replaced or implanted in other ear not sure but let me find the link to the article about it on CICI site....

here it is: http://www.cici.org/vol15n1-2.html is that her?

CoolieFroggie said:

Yes, you can.

We have same CI. I went through many MRIs and no problems with my CI.

I quit CI because of headaches and I believe in DEAF power.
*Note* No headaches since I quit my CI when I was 14. Now I am 19.

Crazymanw00t said:
Yes, you can.

We have same CI. I went through many MRIs and no problems with my CI.

I quit CI because of headaches and I believe in DEAF power.
*Note* No headaches since I quit my CI when I was 14. Now I am 19.

Ya must shit on me.. You can go MRI?

What is your channel ci?

^No idea.

I went through MRI many time when I was young.

I advise you to check your doctor before you do anything. But I am saying you can do anything. I got CI in 1989. I don't know if we have same year CI.

Once my friend has ci and it fall off itself. No medical or doctor did not touch it. Only it just open and fall it off. I looked at it and it look bad over there but the wire already cuts(tears) from ci. now my friend is fine and happy NO MORE CI! I felt that it would cause headaches for some reason but so i not know because i am not ci user.

isn't it so painful going thru all those surgeries.. ouch those stiches and all. I could not tolerate my knee surgeries. but on my head?!?!?!

I would strongly advice that you talk to your audiologist or doctor before consenting to an MRI. This sounds incredibly risky to me.

CoolieFroggie, wow, only one channel!? Today's newer, smaller CI's have, I think, 42 channels!!

Tousi, well I think CoolieFroggie probaly was a first generation implantee.

I was............ but now i heard somebody saying im the first person who got first ci im just lost and i don't want to agure about it...

it's just CI stuff

Boult said:
Is that same person who ran office for CIAI (cochlear implant association) she had CI for 22+ years and on 22th year her 1 channel died and got replaced or implanted in other ear not sure but let me find the link to the article about it on CICI site....

here it is: http://www.cici.org/vol15n1-2.html is that her?

No, that wasn't her. She works with members of the Los Angeles Chapter for CIAI. I get an e-mail every couple of months from her, notifying me on meetings for CIAI. She works at House Ear Institute in Los Angeles.

Do anyone here know of any cases where a CI implant was actually removed from the CI implantee due to headaches or whatever that might be annoying to the implantee qq

IS it possible to have the implant removed from the implantee at all qq
I was a bilateral implanted. Had to have both removed due to chronic pain and loss of function

Back