Cochlear Implant Patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this get posted. Mister potts: my use of the word pontificate-to speak in a pompous/dogmatic matter.
Your friend PFH started this by asserting how 'quick your recovery was-one day. Healing has to happen first than after activation -MAPPING can be started.I understand doesn't work till your skull is healed-thus the estimated time -usually 3 to 6 weeks. You determine what you are hearing though sounds a bit "different". Hearing one hopes is the end result of your decision to be implanted in the first place.
I am surprised that your school would have a problem with you having an Cochlear Implant operation as probably you may/might have not been "hearing " very well prior to your implantation.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony Aug/07

A bit strange to walk on a train track-deaf OR hearing. After I became bilateral deaf I automatically checked traffic whenever I was on street. Yeah SEEING to overcome deafness which I still do to this day even with my Cochlear Implant. I use public transit- I don't own a car.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

A bit strange to walk on a train track-deaf OR hearing. After I became bilateral deaf I automatically checked traffic whenever I was on street. Yeah SEEING to overcome deafness which I still do to this day even with my Cochlear Implant. I use public transit- I don't own a car.

I agree..it is not smart to walk on or near train tracks whether one is deaf or hearing.

Thank goodness. If you drove a car, I would hazard to imagine it goes like this: Drphil hits a car, slips the gear into reverse for a meter, then slips it into forward hitting the car again... For about 100 times.

Matajan would do it a bit differently. He hits a car, backs up hits it at another angle repeats all around the car for at least 1000 times.

PFH: more your drivel. Glad you safe riding your tricycle-which I don't own. What is car doing on a train track?
To more a relevant question: as a HEARING IMPAIRED PERSON -85 Db( profound loss category) why are discussing a C I with an audi? Ostensible you don't "believe" in them? Perhaps an extended discussion with Jillio to sort this out for you-- Confused? footnote: That is the category I was in for almost 15 years before becoming bilaterally deaf in 2006.Disconnecting your hearing aid-you won't hear much at all-from my personal experience.

PFH: more your drivel. Glad you safe riding your tricycle-which I don't own. What is car doing on a train track?
To more a relevant question: as a HEARING IMPAIRED PERSON -85 Db( profound loss category) why are discussing a C I with an audi? Ostensible you don't "believe" in them? Perhaps an extended discussion with Jillio to sort this out for you-- Confused? footnote: That is the category I was in for almost 15 years before becoming bilaterally deaf in 2006.Disconnecting your hearing aid-you won't hear much at all-from my personal experience.

Oh, I never went to an audi.. it just happened I was in the same place at the same time she was. she kinda pushed it. Oh, I also told her to leave my daughter alone.

Funny I have never met an audi/ENT doctor in a "social setting" "pushing Cochlear Implants or Hearing aids either. Perhaps travel in different circles.
As for matajan hitting a car 1000 times-at different angles-not possible except in PFH mind.
The real Dr Phil does own a car- no idea on his driving skills.
Have you finally started your tricycle trip in part of the states- yet?

Funny I have never met an audi/ENT doctor in a "social setting" "pushing Cochlear Implants or Hearing aids either. Perhaps travel in different circles.
As for matajan hitting a car 1000 times-at different angles-not possible except in PFH mind.
The real Dr Phil does own a car- no idea on his driving skills.
Have you finally started your tricycle trip in part of the states- yet?

I am finished with my tricycle trip. A long time ago. When I am older than dirt, I might ride a golden honda trike

All I can say: DrPhil is obsessed with PFH. Just about all his posts are directed to him. :lol:

Coincidental that-PFH does have many more comments? Ostensibly one can comment on various opinions in this forum. Alleycat to your query.

Well personally I feel that if someone is deaf ( a child for instance) that it is much better to get them implanted while their young as opposed to them growing up being told about all these great things they are missing out on and then deciding well i'll get a CI.

Getting a CI while young is much better than waiting until your older, especially if you have no hearing to begin with. When you get a CI young you have almost no memory of surgerys and such that happen when you are young. I personally have been having surgery's since i was 4 and don't remember any of them up until i was 13.

Honestly although your child may go through pain during the recovery, they won't remember any of it. I however will remember the pain that I have went through during recovery. Which i must say isn't that much at all, especially if your taking the pain medication.

I really think that it's selfish of you to keep your child from hearing. Do you know what it's like to hear?? I thought not. So you don't know what you are keeping your child from, apparently he is 25 now and supposedly doesn't regret it..

As far as surgery risks.. Go to a good doctor to get it performed, don't go to some local guy who smokes weed on the weekends. Go to someone who is good. Surgery risks are very high risks, but if you follow all the procedures you don't have anything to worry about. Re-implantation is not that big of a deal. The surgery actually isn't as long from what I hear. And there probably isn't as much swelling and stuff.

You may think that you are perfectly fine without hearing, but I beg to differ. Sure this is a post from someone who has had hearing most his life. But it has made me able to do many more things like listening to music. Playing games with your eyes closed. There are disadvantages to being deaf. Again i'm not saying i'm cured by getting this but its like taking medicine for a head ache. When you have it, it helps.

Honestly I think most of you are being childish in your repeated arguing. Some people want there kid to have hearing, just because you are just fine without it doesn't mean your child will feel the same way. If you want the best for your child give him every opportunity he has, don't limit him because he can't hear anything.

And on the no pain while deaf thing. My ears have been ringing quite loudly ever since i became deaf.. I don't know if that occurs in people who are naturally deaf, but it is really unpleasant and at times somewhat painful. And before you try to say this is from being implanted, it isn't because it's in both ears..

Stop arguing you guys, and girls.. I cot on here yesterday to look and i come back today and have 3 new pages full or arguing..

That is exactly why I started a thread in the Culture subforum dedicated to the issues specific to late deafened individuals.
IMHO it should be it's own thread so we can find it. Also, this forum, HAs and CIs should be for those of us who wear HAs and CIs. I don't know why all the anti-CIers and people who don't have HAs or CIs have to come here and belittle us.
I just hope the AllHearing.com website gets up-to-speed. Then I'll have somewhere to go where I feel I belong though I am physically deaf and should feel welcomed here.

AMEN LoveBlue. I don't understand it either. This is the HA, CI forum not the LETS BASH PARENTS AND USER's Forum's. They think they are adding something good here when all they do is run people off the site that come here looking for support.

AMEN LoveBlue. I don't understand it either. This is the HA, CI forum not the LETS BASH PARENTS AND USER's Forum's. They think they are adding something good here when all they do is run people off the site that come here looking for support.

Good thing that i'm deaf and couldn't listen to music or trust me I would have been gone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back