Cochlear Implant Cost

ncff07

Resident Punk Ass
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been cleaning out some files and came across a detailed cost summary from my cochlear implant surgery in February 2009. I know we have some CI users here and some contemplating getting a CI and at least 1 here that is scheduled for it soon so I though if anyone wanted to know what the cost of anything CI surgery related I could give the info/price here so it would be a reference for anyone looking at details. I looked through thread titles and didn't see anything specific to cost so I started this... keep in mind the ENT surgeon visits both before and after surgery as well as audi visits will be additional expenses as well. This statement only had costs for preop, surgery and cochlear component prices listed.

Total price for pre-op/CAT scan/blood work before surgery and all costs of surgery and CI was $79639.33
I'll list individual prices for what anyone wishes to know for a particular item just post what it is you wish to know.

Even though that price will vary by hospital, surgeon and/or insurance plan, it's a great "ball park" number. Thanks!

I had my Cochlear Implant operation- July 12, 2007. The total cost was $55,000. CDN covered by the provincial health plan-Ontario Health Insurance Plan, Obviously I met the criteria. Everything is insured for 3 years. After that a few options one must choose which; processor for 1 year, OR no insurance-pay for repairs when required OR use ADP -assisted devices programme paying 1/3. This gives the entire package one received when Implanted. Insured for 3 years
From the experience of Sunnybrook/Toronto since 1984-3000 person were reviewed and 1000 were deemed acceptable. of which 18 didn't benefit after activation. Source: patients meeting a couple of years ago.

Obviously around the world-very different ways the state assists in this regard.

good points drphil I didn't even think to mention that ... the price I listed is in US dollars ... the processor/controller/coil had a 3 year warranty on them and the internal CI implant itself has a 10 year warranty on it ... those parts were the most expensive on the list ... the internal implant had a cost of $44,622.00 and the processors/controllers/coils/magnets(2 each of all those) were $22,810.50 ... I should also mention its the Cochlear Americas Nucleus Freedom implant ...

mine was $150,000ish, whew. Swedish Hospital in Denver is expensive.

I'm ballparking mine to be $60,000ish but I don't really know. Thank God for private insurance in the US where I can get 2 implants if I want (and qualify just on my hearing alone), pick when I want them done, don't have to wait months and months to get into a doctor and have all of my accessories, etc. covered at 100% :D. My out of pocket costs will be about $900. My insurance covers new processors every 3 years so I should never have to pay for another one because they will either be under warranty or covered by insurance.

how much insurance do you all pay for CI ever year?

Insurance specifically for a CI ... none ... covered under regular healthcare insurance ... I think repairs are as well but haven't had to have any repairs done to mine since I've had it ... only costs I've had since is the dry and store packs for the dryer and mic covers ... but they give me enough acessories (ear hooks/battery holders/cables/disposable batterys) to last for almost 3 years.

Insurance specifically for a CI ... none ... covered under regular healthcare insurance ... I think repairs are as well but haven't had to have any repairs done to mine since I've had it ... only costs I've had since is the dry and store packs for the dryer and mic covers ... but they give me enough acessories (ear hooks/battery holders/cables/disposable batterys) to last for almost 3 years.

If I am remembering much earlier posts by Frisky correctly, I think she is referring to property type coverage. I think I remember her husband loosing his processor (external item)?

If I am remembering much earlier posts by Frisky correctly, I think she is referring to property type coverage. I think I remember her husband loosing his processor (external item)?

That makes sense ... I don't have property insurance on it either, honestly have never thought about it but its a good idea though.

I haven't priced out property insurance for a CI but I have for my hearing aids in the past. Its been a while but basically the cost for coverage equaled the cost of one HA over 3 or 4 years. I never got it because by the time they were out of warranty, the cost for the premiums were not worth it. The premiums are typically based on the cost of the HA and I'm assuming the cost of a replacement processor. It would be worth calling your agent though.

Wow the amount to all pay for CI is sooo expensive, why have health insurance at all

the internal implant had a cost of $44,622.00 and the processors/controllers/coils/magnets(2 each of all those) were $22,810.50

Wow. So expensive. I didn't even know they break down the costs. I assumed it would be just one bill for the CI, and maybe other bills for hospital stay, OR, etc.

Wow the amount to all pay for CI is sooo expensive, why have health insurance at all

That isn't how much people PAY, it's what the surgery costs. My out of pocket for both my surgeries will be less than $1000.

That isn't how much people PAY, it's what the surgery costs. My out of pocket for both my surgeries will be less than $1000.

Are you including the cost of the processors and implants, or just the surgeries themselves?

I pay about $100/year for renter's insurance that I just added my Neptune to (almost $8,000). That's for $28,000 of Replacement Content insurance (meaning they will pay the cost to replace all items, instead of just cash value at the time of damage/loss).

As far as surgery, all tests, equipment, etc, mine was about $150,000 in Irvine, CA. Covered under my parents' health insurance. Getting another in January.

Are you including the cost of the processors and implants, or just the surgeries themselves?
The processors and implant are included in our prices. We just only pay a small portion depending on our insurance coverage. I think mine was about $1,500 out of pocket (or rather, my parents' pocket ;P )

I just know what my insurance will pay, I don't have any idea how much everything costs. I know it's all included as a covered charge.

Back