Cochlear implant and possible electrocution?

scarlettx

Reaction score
My father, who is 57 now, received his cochlear implant when he was 36, but never wears it because he doesn't like it. However, the magnet is still in his head. A couple days ago, he, a fan of the show Ghost Hunters, was using an EMF detector in his basement [a K2 Meter I think it's called], which is just a handheld device that lights up when electromagnetic fields are high, I guess. He said the machine lit up all the way, detecting a strong electromagnetic force, then the machine unlit and at the same time, he received what he described as an electric shock through his brain. His head has been hurting a for 2 days and last night, he said he had memory loss and couldn't remember who he was for approximately 5 minutes. He lives four hours away from me and is too scared to go to a hospital so we're going to drive there and pick him up. But I'm worried, what could have happened? HOW could this have happened from a handheld device? Does this make any sense to anybody?

Hi Scarlettx> I have had my Cochlear Implant for 3 1/2 years. The model I have- Advanced Bionics-Harmony is completely at ear level. Your father's is at belt level-being over 20 years old.
There is a magnet on the internal processor-facing outwards- which has many electronic circuits insides which is "anchored" in your father's Cochlea . It "directs the external sound to the processor which your father "hears as sound".Unless the external is working nothing happens. How could it?

So far haven't received any "shocks" at all from my Implant which I wear about 16 hours a day.

Interesting to understand what his doctor has to say about this matter.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Those of us with CI's have to be carefull not to get to near strong magnetic devices. In your case I really wonder how that could happen but I'm not very familiar with those devices and they may, at close range put up a fairly strong magnetic field and that sure could cause some problems. Have no idea how close to his head he had it but if it lit up it sure detected the metal somewhere. Unfortunate and hope all comes out well.

There is no electromagnetic force while the internal magnet is just like a regular kitchen magnet. Without any power source the internal implant will not generate any signal. Sounds like that the EMF detector is generating a strong electromagnetic force of its own that was interacting with the permanent magnet in the implant like with any kichen magnet. I do not watch Ghost Hunters and it is easy to be confused by the equipment they are using.

My father, who is 57 now, received his cochlear implant when he was 36, but never wears it because he doesn't like it. However, the magnet is still in his head. A couple days ago, he, a fan of the show Ghost Hunters, was using an EMF detector in his basement [a K2 Meter I think it's called], which is just a handheld device that lights up when electromagnetic fields are high, I guess. He said the machine lit up all the way, detecting a strong electromagnetic force, then the machine unlit and at the same time, he received what he described as an electric shock through his brain. His head has been hurting a for 2 days and last night, he said he had memory loss and couldn't remember who he was for approximately 5 minutes. He lives four hours away from me and is too scared to go to a hospital so we're going to drive there and pick him up. But I'm worried, what could have happened? HOW could this have happened from a handheld device? Does this make any sense to anybody?

More likely the result of something supernatural than anything to do with that tiny little unpowered magnet placed just under the skin.

(looks like you are already doing this, but agree w/others that medical care seems critical, hoping that all is well)

Last edited:
I think more likely he had a small stroke or seizure.

Hmm... this sounds unusual. I've never heard of anything like this happening.

I guess the best person to talk to would be the doctor.

I'd agree, take him to the doctor quickly. I notice this was posted more than 5 hours ago, so maybe the OP is with her father now. Hope so. Strokes can be treated if they are treated quickly.

Back