Cochlear America's Financial Hardship Waiver.

soutthpaw

Reaction score
Wanted to share this is available. They just agreed to pay my Medicare deductible for bilateral processor upgrade. About $3200.
They won't offer it up front, that will offer payment plan first. When I told them no go, They sent me the paperwork for Financial hardship assistance.
You have to document that you can't get other copay help sick as Medicaid, purchase supplement or medigap/Obamacare etc. Then list all your living expenses and financial obligations Inc Child Support etc.
It's then reviewed and they offer a partial or full copay assistance.

I am in the loophole. Having Medicare and being under 65, no private insurers offer Medicare supplements for me (in the state of NV anyway). It's a Federal crime to apply for Obamacare if you have Medicare. I had a gross income of $50 too much to get Medicaid. For Medicaid, it is only based on gross income not monthly expenses.
I also had VR tell them they did not get approval for the copay. Though they were still trying.

If you do have health insurance but still can't afford all or part of the patient costs, I believe this would apply too.

Anyway, I got approved and have a pair of N6's on the way. The fact that one of my freedoms has been broken for a year May have helped in the decision too.

I am certainly not a CI cheerleader, But I thought this was pretty cool that they offer this benefit.
So giving Brownie points for Cochlear America's. Anyone know if AB or Med El offers anything similar?

that's cool that CA does that. Glad you were able to get your upgrades! Sounds like you very much needed the upgrades if your Freedom was broken for that long. :)

I applied for financial assistance at the hospital, they just need a copy of your tax returns. They paid half of my first surgery, resubmitting for this surgery and it's possible they will pay 100% this go round.

Back