Cochlear 22 electrode processor cost

nemar

Reaction score
Ok, I confess, I also have a Cochlear Implant...2nd generation, I believe it's the 22 electrode one. A really old one. I haven't worn it for about 10-12 years or so because the doctor that implanted mine retired. I would need to drive quite a long way to another town for adjustments, etc. Mine quit working and I just shoved it in a drawer and said...that's all for now.

After reading this forum a little today, I thought...hmmm...maybe that drive to that other town might be worth it. Can anyone tell me the approximate cost of the external processor these days? Don't include the surgical cost...I've done that part already. Have they come down in price any?

I believe the Freedom is ~ $6000 or so these days. Don't know if it would even work with your type of implant. Best way to find out is go to your nearest CI center.

Thanks! I did just now find another thread that also covers this topic. I will need to think about making an appt. with that doctor's office...maybe...
That's alot of $$.

Best wishes with the doctor's office appointment. I hope they can offer you some information and options about what to do if you want to pursue it further.

if you have the nucleus 22 processor like i do, i don't think the freedom for that is out yet. the freedom's only available for the nucleus 24 users. the most recent processor for the nucleus 22 is the esprit 3G. not sure about the cost. you probably should ask/call your audiologist. and don't forget that insurance can cover part of it as well, so it might be worth it after all. :)

Cochlear keeps changing the date of when a version of the Freedom compatible with the N22 will be released. It was supposed to be spring, then summer, now I'm hearing November. I had heard that you can get a refurbed 3G from them for $4500, but that seems (to me) like a lot to spend if the Freedom is $6000, and really only two months away from being available.

Sheri

if you have the nucleus 22 processor like i do, i don't think the freedom for that is out yet. the freedom's only available for the nucleus 24 users. the most recent processor for the nucleus 22 is the esprit 3G. not sure about the cost. you probably should ask/call your audiologist. and don't forget that insurance can cover part of it as well, so it might be worth it after all. :)

Thanks! The last processor I had..or really still have, was a trade-in from my original processor. It didn't last very long before it died. I think one of the problems that I have with mine, the biggest problem, is that they tend to break down and need repairs. I like my digital hearing aid and so far, I have just depended on that, without my implant. I'm really glad to hear that they haven't forgotten about updating processors for those of us with the 22s. I have only had the wearable processors so I would be interested in the behind the ear one, if I decide to look into it again.

Back