CIs and Music

I have Cochlear N6. Music is good, not great. But, it is getting better since I went bilateral. My audiologist told me upfront that Cochlear does not have the best technology for listening to music. I'm just happy to be able to enjoy some music again. I hope to get to where I can enjoy my daughters piano music again.

I have Cochlear N6. Music is good, not great. But, it is getting better since I went bilateral. My audiologist told me upfront that Cochlear does not have the best technology for listening to music. I'm just happy to be able to enjoy some music again. I hope to get to where I can enjoy my daughters piano music again.
my experience is single instrument will sound pretty good, the more complex the music gets the worse it sounds. Severe degradation if you add singing to the music.

I have forgotten why you went with the Cochlear brand? I am wondering why as a music lover that was told what I added the bold to upfront?

I am with Southpaw, music as I once knew it is gone and it sucks.

For reference, I had PERFECT hearing prior to it suddenly crapping out. In college my roommate was in a band, I helped him with his sound mix for their CD. Hearing 'high-fidelity' through professional studio monitor speakers is an absolute dream. I could pick out every note, instrument, pitch, tone you name it. I could say "the bass is a bit high, you should lower it." Or "bring up Jake's vocals to compliment Amanda." And I could tell exactly how much it changed on the next mix.

Now with my single CI, in comparison the music I can hear does suck. I went from professional studio quality music to slightly-out-of-tune AM radio music (best I can relate it to my hearing friends). I can appreciate what I hear, and I can turn on the Rocky 4 sound track and get my self pumped. I am sure if I was bilateral and I could have 'stereo' music it would add another level of quality to what I know.

For my situation is sucks (along with losing my hearing in general, it's made life hell). But if I am to be grateful, I am grateful that music is better than I thought it would but still sucks in comparison to what I knew was 'normal'.

I can relate to this somewhat. While I'm not a professionally trained musician and didn't have normal hearing, I had fairly good ear for music for a hearing aid user. I could tune a guitar by ear and I could definitely tell when someone played a wrong note or something. I did use electronic tuners for brass instruments, but then again everyone else who was hearing did too. I spent my whole childhood immersed in music. I had good sound quality with a hearing aid, so I was really lucky for that.

I am elated for how 95% of the music sounds to me with my cochlear implants. My right ear is absolutely spot on in most areas, the weak area being bass. The reverse is the case with my left, where pitch of bass and lower frequency sounds are a strength, but not so much the high frequencies. My left ear is more bass-y, my right is more treble. I can't pick out what each note is by exact letter when listening (unless I'm familar with the part already). However, I can tell very well when the left ear's treble pitches are off in comparison to the same notes in diff. pitches/octaves that my right hear is getting. It's annoying. I keep having ideas of what to tell the audiologist to do so they can sound like a better match or complement, but that left ear is always going to be weaker (I have asymmetrical hearing even w/ CI's because one ear could not be helped with a hearing aid). So I wish that could be improved, but at least it happens only some of the time rather than for every note being played.

I can't say that what I have now isn't an improvement, though. Sure, I wish that part could be improved and not throw off something else going on that I'm hearing in the score, but for the most part most things sound beautiful. Having said that though, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of 2 ears for optimal music listening.

Music with my Cochlear brand CI's are friggin amazing. I use to have normal hearing and comparably the music with the ear piece attachment is better than what i heard with normal hearing.

I am glad you're satisfied, but I simply can't believe you had 'normal' hearing and make that statement. 12-24 channels of a CI simply cannot produce what your original 3,500 hair cells could produce. Only replying so future readers don't get a false sense of hope when it comes to music.

I have the N6 too. Music is also good but not great.

I have the N6 too. Music is also good but not great.
Seems the current concensus from CI uses here is that AB would be the better choice for music. 11 years ago when I got mine. This knowledge was not known in fact AB was dealing with FDA banning them from selling their device due to Meningitis concerns. 3 years later I got second implant was encouraged to get same brand for other side.
If my implants ever became obsolete or failed, if I did consider replacing them, I'd take a serious look at all 3 brands and the current performance before choosing which one to use. Also if brand X went out of business, I would not be surprised if brand Y and Z made processors to work with Brand X implant

I have forgotten why you went with the Cochlear brand? I am wondering why as a music lover that was told what I added the bold to upfront?
Maybe their first implant was Cochlear and they were only told that with second implant. Very few surgeons seem to favor putting a different brand implant on each side

There is a local Cochlear meet next month. I will grill the rep on music perception and why AB seems so superior.

I am glad you're satisfied, but I simply can't believe you had 'normal' hearing and make that statement. 12-24 channels of a CI simply cannot produce what your original 3,500 hair cells could produce. Only replying so future readers don't get a false sense of hope when it comes to music.

I had been debating making this exact comment in reply to that claim and you just did it for me. I completely agree with you. Just a whole lot of no. I'm thrilled with what my CI makes possible, but no CI is going to do a better job than normal, natural hearing until the day comes that a bionic ear completely restores natural hearing and offers up abilities beyond that of natural hearing.... in other words: Jamie Sommers.

Maybe their first implant was Cochlear and they were only told that with second implant. Very few surgeons seem to favor putting a different brand implant on each side

No. She has severe ossification requiring a split array, which Cochlear offers.

No. She has severe ossification requiring a split array, which Cochlear offers.

I think this comment was directed at me regarding JaneB's question.

If so, clearing things up.....I do not have the above condition that BleedingPurist stated.

To answer JaneB's question...I went with the brand my CI surgeon recommended for my type of hearing loss.

I think this comment was directed at me regarding JaneB's question.

If so, clearing things up.....I do not have the above condition that BleedingPurist stated.

To answer JaneB's question...I went with the brand my CI surgeon recommended for my type of hearing loss.

Apologies. I obviously have you crossed with someone else. Ossification is usually the reason for recommending a particular array, though recently some Physicians have been recommending Cochlear for the Hybrid since it is the only one currently FDA approved.

I was only 12 and I was given a choice between Bionic or Cochlear. Bionic had a bigger advantage for me at the time because Cochlear did not have rechargable batteries (it just came out afterwards).

Yet I felt Cochlear would be a better fit. (I think the other reason too was Bionic had a recall in 2006 and I was worried about that too).

A few months after activation, I started to listen to music. I used to hate music before. Then I realized I could actually hear the words in the songs now.

And now... I just told a hearing friend that listening to music with my C.I's sounds like a stereo inside my head with the C.I headphones.

I am new to the CI world but was a professional musician for 45 years and a music educator for 39. I went from perfect pitch to relative pitch to being dependent on electronics to tune. I have been activated since 12/30/15 and things are slowly getting better. At this time I only have CI in my left but will be going binaural in May. (I had a very small amount of hearing in my right ear and to be honest was afraid to have both done at the same time. My mistake, the right ear has totally left me since December). In my two months of rehab speech has improved unbelievably, music is going to take much more time. I can hear single line melody quite well, but add harmony or any other accompanying line and none of it makes sense. This is better than I was with amped up HA's the past three years. I feel eventually I may gain the ability to enjoy music again, but seriously doubt I'll ever perform or conduct again. My deafness has left me disabled as I am not trained to do anything else and at age 62 am not inclined to train to do another job, nothing else really ever interested me. I have the new AB Naida CI 90 processor and it works well for me. I think I probably have the most advanced equipment available, now it's just up to me to get the most out of it.

Last edited:
Hi. My name is Mike. I am in my early 50s. I have cochlear otosclerosis that has worsened to the point of being a candidate for a cochlear implant in one ear.
I have been researching brands, and am most interested in the differences in technology as it relates to music.
It is my impression that, for the most part, the differences in current technology will be less stark to perhaps non-existent for speech scenarios. However, much of the technological differences, in theory, could have significant impacts on the perception of music. I am hoping to retain some semblance of a musical experience as music is very important to me (both as a listener and player). I am curious to understand what people's experiences have been with music.

So I guess the first question is simply what kind of musical experience you have had with your implant. I understand not everyone is focused on music and that a direct comparison is never possible. But I am still interested in experiences, good or bad.

I might followup with some more discussion of the technology differences, as the descriptions rarely seem to be accurate or complete. But this is enough for now.. :)

Thank you!
I have Advanced Bionics and music sounds so great. Part of the reason why I choose AB is because it is the only company that can stimulate two electrodes at once.
When I was a kid I got a very cheap electric keyboard for Christmas (it must have been 1992) and it drive me crazy because when I played a chord (I was taking piano lessons at the time) the piano only play one of the notes of the chord.
Advanced bionics may only have 16 electrodes but 120 channels and is the only company that has independent power supplies to each electrode.

Music sounds amazing, it was disappointing at first because I was used to bass heavy music for 15 years and I suddenly found out that there were all these other sounds in my favorite songs. But now music sounds wonderful.
My father is a musician and my husband is a singer so I'm around music all the time.

Music wasnt the greatest for me either with my old audi. Since I went to the new audi ( turned out she was the audi who activated me and did my first couple mappings, also is well liked by many ) she did some tweekings and Ive seen her the 3rd time monday ( withing 1-1/2 weeks) she nailed music, it is awesome on my music program, she also got everything squared away as well with issues Ive had with the old audi. She listened to what I had to say, she wrote down stuff, she did her homework, tweeked a few things and asked if it was better or worst, then knew we were on the right track from there. Finally music sounds like it should, people sound like they should, noises sound like they should.... no more annoying sounds, uncomfortable sounds or levels... I am so glad I left the other one in the dust as she did what she wanted and didnt give a rats ass about what I said. Your audi is the key to hearing things. Cochlear is currently working on a new program to make music experience better for all. Mine was just the proper mapping which the old audi never got close. She had my T and C's too far apart ( floor to ceiling spectrum) and a few other things. I was always on "Home" where now I am running "Scan" and it is so much better. Wind noise is practically invisable in the car now, I can listen to the radio and drive where before the wind noise drowned it out. For awhile I was starting to hate the CI, but it wasnt the CI at all, it was the Audiologist.
In case you dont know, I found out through the support group, you can choose whatever audiologist you want. You do not have to stay with the one your doctor assigned ot activated you, you are free to choose or go anywhere you please. So, if you and your audi arent clicking, its time to find another. I did.

I love music with my AB cochlear implants. Growing up, my dad played drums. I played trumpet with severe to profound hearing loss and I had a love for music. I didn't hear well enough to get all the fine detail of everything, but I did hear adequately enough to play in school bands and the like.

I didn't think I would ever hear music as appreciably with cochlear implants.

With AB implants, I was proved wrong very quickly! It was about a month before I got everything where it needed to be for music to be optimal on my first implant. Then 3 months later, I needed more volume for it but still- I could understand lyrics more, I heard a lot more, and I could discriminate subtle and quiet sounds much better.

I implanted my other ear, which hadn't heard for several decades. In fact it had never heard since I was about 2, because I had no residual hearing in it that could be amplified. I was blown away as well. That ear does not discriminate as much as my dominant ear, but it does make sense of music well enough to appreciate it and I get better low frequency auditory information in that ear, so that ear gives the music its fullness. So if music can be understood to some extent and appreciable in an ear that has literally never heard, that's speaking volumes for what these implants can do. It did take longer for my second ear with music, at 3 months post-activation that was when a lot more sounds and pitches started coming through for that ear.

It takes a while to learn to enjoy music with a cochlear implant. I had to first realize that things like pianos and flutes and other high pitched instruments were involved in my favorite songs, not just drums and bass.

My audiologist gave me a special music program that has a really wide IDR (input dynamic range) and has all the bells and whistles of AB turned off. No clear voice, echo block, etc. Instead of a MAP focused on understanding speech my music program has the same wonderful frequency range that AB offers but without the speech frequencies being emphasized. Instead the IDR is like opening a window wider to let in more sounds, soft and loud. It really works best with headphones for me.
I find the compilot makes everything sound tinny and without depth but I can hear just as much bass with the compilot as I do with headphones.
I'm still amazed at ho much and how deep the bass is considering some CI companies say AB doesn't have complete cochlear coverage. It actually does when using a MidScala electrode.

As ladies and gents know, longer isn't always better.
For electrode arrays, hugging the inner portion of the cochlea can achieve the same or similar "depth" as electrodes that are really long but go on the outer part of the cochlea.

Seems the current concensus from CI uses here is that AB would be the better choice for music. 11 years ago when I got mine. This knowledge was not known in fact AB was dealing with FDA banning them from selling their device due to Meningitis concerns. 3 years later I got second implant was encouraged to get same brand for other side.
If my implants ever became obsolete or failed, if I did consider replacing them, I'd take a serious look at all 3 brands and the current performance before choosing which one to use. Also if brand X went out of business, I would not be surprised if brand Y and Z made processors to work with Brand X implant
The "ban" http://cochlearimplanthelp.com/jour...ar-implant/cochlear-implant-problems/recalls/was a voluntary recall when AB found out that one of the two manufacturers had a few moisture issues that caused something like 10 total CI failures. They dropped manufacturer B and since then there have been no problems with AB.
back before I considered a CI a top CI surgeon in my area invited me to watch a real CI surgery (I was in the process of applying to medical school). The patient was 15, had been raised completely orally, which made me sad because before surgery the surgeon, residents and I rounded in each of the day's patients. When we got to her, I signed "how are you feeling? Nervous? Excited?" And her mom looked at me like I was an idiot and said loudly and very slowly (because I was obviously deaf and therefore dumb) "she is ORAL, she doesn't sign".
The surgeon told the mom that I was deaf and going to e a doctor and was watching surgeries in my spare time. The mom got really awkward. "Oh...I didn't know people...um...you...could be medical students...."

"I signed and spoke, yep, not the dark ages anymore. Well, I'll see you (to daughter) in surgery for your 2nd implant!"

Last edited:
Back