Cigna and cochlear implants

ecp

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I got my first cochlear implant 4 years ago with my graduate school insurance (which was amazing and covered all of the surgery and equipment except a $100 fee. I was truly lucky).

Now we in the states have a new president and things have changed. Has anybody had luck with Cigna covering cochlear implants or a second cochlear implant?
I could move to and become a citizen of the European country from where my family comes but they currently only allow bilateral cochlear implants in cases of post-meningitis deafness (meningitis can cause rapid ossification (bone formation) of the cochlea because the body attacks the bacteria and tries to walk off infection.

I’m realizing that 1 implant is great but if someone is on my left side, I don’t hear them.

I know Phonak has the CROS but my audiologist doesn’t think it would work well for me.

Could you do a trial to find out if your audiologist is right or not without being out any money? Response differs soooo much from person to person.

Insurance coverage is determined by employers for many things. You should contact your HR dept or Cigna to find out what they cover.

A couple of years back we had Cigna. I found out that (almost) each group had a different plan. Our plan was decent, but a group from a local ship yard was horrible. Most of the doctors refused to accept from that group.

That being said, your doctor and the cochlear manufacturer and help you through approval with insurance companies.
Then it is just a matter of your max out of pocket for deductible.
Good luck...

^^ I did forget to mention that the cochlear implant company and your surgeon should help you appeal Cigna's decision. I've heard of others succeeded with their help when they were denied.

My friend has a Cigna plan through her employer and she was able to get both of her CIs covered (first implant in Aug., 2nd in Dec.). It all depends on what plan you end up with. AB is also pretty good at appealing on your behalf and working with the insurance directly as well.

Could you do a trial to find out if your audiologist is right or not without being out any money? Response differs soooo much from person to person.
I could but I’m hoping to start medical school soon. A CROS hearing aid simply won’t be enough and my audiologist and the one I had before both agree that having bilateral CIs would be best for me. My surgeon also agrees that since I’ve done so well with one CI, I will donjust as well with a second.
So much of cochlear implant rehabilitation is mental work and I’ve done really well with that.

Insurance coverage is determined by employers for many things. You should contact your HR dept or Cigna to find out what they cover.
I have insurance through the marketplace since my employer doesn’t provide insurance. It has been 9 years since I, a person with a master’s degree, have had a job with any benefits.

Back