Ciao! Steffie here!

VSte

Reaction score
Not totally new but haven't been on in a while. Just moved from NYC down to Florida few months ago. Hoping to connect with some new folks from any where, life is pretty laid back compared to the big apple.

I am hearing but I sign every day with my son, he has communication delays. He signs way more than he speaks which he is also receiving therapies for. I wonder why he prefers it but regardless, I love it.
I think it's adorable my toddler signs every day and it's fun because it's like we talk in code since my parents won't learn sign. I think they are afraid to learn but I use it shamelessly with my son every where we go every day, as does he. Of course he wouldn't feel ashamed or shy, why would he? Why shouldn't he sign if it's understood he can communicate in this way. I encourage it and always engage this form of expression.
I think him and I also enjoy learning other languages, signing is fun and truly a way to communicate with others that cannot always hear or speak.

<3 <3 <3
Steff

Are you in Tampa by any chance? I have a friend with a simlair background with a HOH little boy......Is expressive spoken language his only issue? I know FSDB's early childhood does admit kids with expressive spoken language delays.......I also know that pure expressive spoken language issues are pretty rare....I know they might have freaked you out by red flagging him for autisim......but there are other conditions that can cause spoken language issues... Even garden variety learning disabled kids can speak late.....There's also apraxia, and cerebal palsy, and a condition called 18p- syndrome.

Not totally new but haven't been on in a while. Just moved from NYC down to Florida few months ago. Hoping to connect with some new folks from any where, life is pretty laid back compared to the big apple.

I am hearing but I sign every day with my son, he has communication delays. He signs way more than he speaks which he is also receiving therapies for. I wonder why he prefers it but regardless, I love it.
I think it's adorable my toddler signs every day and it's fun because it's like we talk in code since my parents won't learn sign. I think they are afraid to learn but I use it shamelessly with my son every where we go every day, as does he. Of course he wouldn't feel ashamed or shy, why would he? Why shouldn't he sign if it's understood he can communicate in this way. I encourage it and always engage this form of expression.
I think him and I also enjoy learning other languages, signing is fun and truly a way to communicate with others that cannot always hear or speak.

<3 <3 <3
Steff

How old is your son? mine is four and verbal but would love to teach him sign and need to learn more myself. do you have Skype??

Hello! My name is Roel Brian is 31 years old. I live in Philippines although my home is from San Pedro, Laguna. I am deaf. I nice to meet you.

Sent from my S610 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Hi steffie nice to meet you. I think it is good that you sign with your kid!

Back