Ci surgery side affects?

BLONDI53

Reaction score
This could be completly off the wall but, has anyone noticed having headaches,and sinus problems after implant activation? When i wear it like all day my head gets really sore,and get headaches also my nose is always stopped up ( like having a bad cold) wont go away,its not a sinus infection, used to not have that problem,can surgery change things like this? Its driving me nuts!!

You should contact your surgeon.

As to the headaches, you magnets may be too strong. Do you know how to reduce the number of magnets in the headpiece?

As to the headaches, you magnets may be too strong. Do you know how to reduce the number of magnets in the headpiece?
Yes i will do that tomorrow,no she never told me how,didnt know i could!

Yes i will do that tomorrow,no she never told me how,didnt know i could!
I don't know anything about your headpiece, since it's a different brand, but I do know how to add/remove magnets from mine.
They won't give us more than what they determine we need at activation - which is probably more than we need after the swelling goes down - because they don't want us putting too many in and causing skin irritation, etc.
Once my swelling started to go down, I removed a magnet - broke it...oops - in one headpiece and had my audie remove one from my other headpiece at my next visit - didn't want to break another one. I did this because I felt like it might be starting to give me mild headaches.

I've had the headaches, but I always figured it was the brain being overworked trying to make sense of everything. Turning off for a while helped with that. I always paid attention to the magnet strength after activation, making sure there was enough to keep the headpiece on but not too strong. As the swelling went down, I played with the magnet strength figuring out what worked best for me without it hurting the skin over the implant sites.

Boy my audio really didnt explain anything on this,i thought there is only 1 magnet in there? Are they all in there together, cause i dont have any ,anyplace else? I would love to at least be able to go down one,she did say its on the strongest. Put it this way it will be pretty sore after taking it off that its a little uncomfortable sleeping on that side!

I'd say you need to reduce the magnet strength.
AB's can hold 5-6 small magnets, I think. And there are also 1/2 strength (thinner) ones available. They only give us how many we need in the beginning. I think I had 3. I now only have 2.

I've had the headaches, but I always figured it was the brain being overworked trying to make sense of everything. Turning off for a while helped with that. I always paid attention to the magnet strength after activation, making sure there was enough to keep the headpiece on but not too strong. As the swelling went down, I played with the magnet strength figuring out what worked best for me without it hurting the skin over the implant sites.
I emailed my audio and she said i only have the one magnet that i need to go in (6 and a half hr drive) and she can change it for me. She knew my last visit was the last,and that i was looking for someone closer,soo yeah rather made me angry

I'd say you need to reduce the magnet strength.
AB's can hold 5-6 small magnets, I think. And there are also 1/2 strength (thinner) ones available. They only give us how many we need in the beginning. I think I had 3. I now only have 2.
Yeah i guess med el rondo only has 1 at a time,rather a bummer. I wonder when i find another audio if they will do it,but does that mean i have to buy more?

Which brand are you using? Cochlear has videos on their website on how to change the magnets out which is actually a rather easy thing to do. You only get 1 magnet however you can contact the CI company (at least with Cochlear, I can) and they will send a different magnet strength with full details on how to change out and then ship the old magnet back to them.

Good luck!

Which brand are you using? Cochlear has videos on their website on how to change the magnets out which is actually a rather easy thing to do. You only get 1 magnet however you can contact the CI company (at least with Cochlear, I can) and they will send a different magnet strength with full details on how to change out and then ship the old magnet back to them.

Good luck!
I have the med el rondo,schronny (sp) my audio said there's only one in there,and that i need to go there (6 and a half hr drive) for her to replace it. Im trying to get set up closer to home, hoping i can do it there!

I don't have one of these but I was curious after AnotherDeafGuy's posting. You can find a youtube video on who to change the magnet. It does look very easy to do this yourself.

I don't have one of these but I was curious after AnotherDeafGuy's posting. You can find a youtube video on who to change the magnet. It does look very easy to do this yourself.

I emailed her, she is sending me another one,a step down from what i have! I did watch the video,thanks alot!!

I emailed her, she is sending me another one,a step down from what i have! I did watch the video,thanks alot!!

Glad she is just sending it out instead. Would be crazy to have to travel so far just for a magnet! Hope the lesser strength works out for you.

Glad she is just sending it out instead. Would be crazy to have to travel so far just for a magnet! Hope the lesser strength works out for you.
Yep, me too,didnt want to make that drive no more!! Thanks,maybe then i wont feel like my implant is trying to come out of my head!!!

Yep, me too,didnt want to make that drive no more!! Thanks,maybe then i wont feel like my implant is trying to come out of my head!!!

Just curious on how you are doing?
I was watching your progress intensely (since I am about to go there).

Just curious on how you are doing?
I was watching your progress intensely (since I am about to go there).
Yes sorry it has been a while huh?! Life has kept me a little too busy lately! I went for my 3rd mapping the 6th of this month, i can hear so many sounds its unbelievable,the speech comprehension is getting a little better! I went to a new audio this time and she made some different changes to certain pitches to help with speech,mainly the sh sounds not sure if it helped or not, i think i do ynderstand a little more than before! Even though things havent quiet gone the way i planned,it was still worth it with new sounds that i hear! I can hear my husband snoring in the other room,our ceiling fan quietly clicking, a motorcycle going by, so yes if you can get this done go for it,it may not be exactly what you wanted,but in time you may just get there like me! !! Hope this has helped you in some way in making your decision! !! Good luck to ya!!

Yes sorry it has been a while huh?! Life has kept me a little too busy lately! I went for my 3rd mapping the 6th of this month, i can hear so many sounds its unbelievable,the speech comprehension is getting a little better! I went to a new audio this time and she made some different changes to certain pitches to help with speech,mainly the sh sounds not sure if it helped or not, i think i do ynderstand a little more than before! Even though things havent quiet gone the way i planned,it was still worth it with new sounds that i hear! I can hear my husband snoring in the other room,our ceiling fan quietly clicking, a motorcycle going by, so yes if you can get this done go for it,it may not be exactly what you wanted,but in time you may just get there like me! !! Hope this has helped you in some way in making your decision! !! Good luck to ya!!
Wow. Just WOW. I hope I am not out of line for saying this, but I'm proud of you.

Proud of you also!
I am setup for just before thanksgiving.
I am like you were... reading forums daily... :hmm:

Strong magnets really can make one's incision area really sore. Been through that. No fun

Back