CI Surgery Date :)

DeafAlex...I had Botti post the picture under my thread so I wouldn't highjack yours. It took a long time for me to share this.

It's under "CI surgery approved today"

Some pics...
IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_4041.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

I've done similar with my hearing aid and Harmony.. nail decal stickers. Haven't decal'd up my Neptune yet

I actually had my hearing tested again, and in my left ear it dropped to severe profound loss.. This is the first time a CI was ever mentioned to me by an audi, it kind of scared me. My speech discrimination in the left ear is 0% at 95dB, which is that particular machine maxed out. I didn't even think I would need Naidas because I guess I was in denial about how bad my hearing is... Especially if my loss just keeps getting worse?! Is CI worth looking into? I know this issue has been discussed a lot on this forum, but I'm kind of freaking out!!!

I actually had my hearing tested again, and in my left ear it dropped to severe profound loss.. This is the first time a CI was ever mentioned to me by an audi, it kind of scared me. My speech discrimination in the left ear is 0% at 95dB, which is that particular machine maxed out. I didn't even think I would need Naidas because I guess I was in denial about how bad my hearing is... Especially if my loss just keeps getting worse?! Is CI worth looking into? I know this issue has been discussed a lot on this forum, but I'm kind of freaking out!!!

Your right ear would need to be worse before you can get a CI. Both ears need to be severe to profound.

As your loss is mixed, you would need your sensorineural loss part to be severe to profound as well.

CI are nothing to worry about tho. They are a good thing :)

Your right ear would need to be worse before you can get a CI. Both ears need to be severe to profound.

As your loss is mixed, you would need your sensorineural loss part to be severe to profound as well.

CI are nothing to worry about tho. They are a good thing :)

My loss is mixed, about half conductive, half sensorial, and I got a CI. So that part isn't true. They're also implanting a LOT of people with just moderate to severe losses, as their main focus is speech discrimination.

Alex, what's your speech discrimination in your better ear? Were they both profound before you got CI?

My speech discrimination is 0 in both. But you can have up to like 50% speech discrimination and still get a CI. I didn't know this before joining a CI message board. It seems people who I wouldn't even classify as deaf easily get CI's.

ETA: Left is No Response, has been for 16 years. Right is profound to no response (only responds at 500Hz 115dB).

My loss is mixed, about half conductive, half sensorial, and I got a CI. So that part isn't true. They're also implanting a LOT of people with just moderate to severe losses, as their main focus is speech discrimination.

You were NR in half of your last posted bone conduction hearing test, big different.

You were NR in half of your last posted bone conduction hearing test, big different.

But I also had non-responsive ear drums during that test, which is explained in the post.

ETA that the ear sums were fixed by the surgery, they perform at 100% again. Haven't been tested though so don't know how that affects my bone conduction results. Last test was 2 weeks after surgery for my CI evaluation.

Thanks! Will definitely look into it. My audi says he would give me some information packets/brochures etc when I pick up my Naidas next Friday. From what I've read on this forum, before seeing ANY kind of info from all 3, I'm favoring AB because of the waterproof capability and the Naida processor that's coming out this year.. It's also better for late deafened? I guess since I know what sound is supposed to be like it might be better. Anyways, I'm getting way ahead of myself, I don't even know if I'm a candidate yet! ;)

Little side note: ( and keep in mind my entire family is hearing and knows nothing about d/Deaf) my stepmom told me about this kid who lives a few blocks down apparently is bilaterally implanted! (Or that's what I gathered from her laymans terms) he is in my sisters class (5th grade). I think it's very interesting that he's going to this completely mainstream school. I'd bet you almost anything that his parents didn't learn how to sign or anything. He's basically a hearing kid.

Check out the forums on Hearing Journey. It's an AB board, so most posters have AB, but the section on qualifying and testing, surgery, etc, are all relevant regardless. You'll learn a lot over there. I'm DeafAlex there too.

I think I have spotted why NaidaUP and DeafAlex have listed different requirements to get a CI! NadiaUP's information under her name says she is in Scotland and DeafAlex is in California according to her's.

I think I have spotted why NaidaUP and DeafAlex have listed different requirements to get a CI! NadiaUP's information under her name says she is in Scotland and DeafAlex is in California according to her's.

Yes, but she knows NHS has more strict guidelines, and yet continues to give American posters false information.

Back