CI Surgery Date :)

Say Jade . . . in this other thread you say you would not get one for your daughter if she would qualify. These posts seem to contradict each other. That is based on this "Personally, for my own child, if her hearing loss was profound enough that the doctors were recommending CIs, I would not get it for her." from your other post in the thread I have referenced below. I have added bold to show what made me react this way.

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/110661-what.html#post2166818
First of all; very rude to call her out in my thread when she was being nothing but nice and supportive.

Second of all, a parent who would not implant their deaf child is DRASTICALLY different from a Deaf adult choosing to get a CI! She does not need to defend her positions. It makes complete sense to me. I don't know if I would implant my Deaf child, and I actually went back and forth on implanting myself. The point is, it's a choice. I am an adult who made a VERY informed decision. I'm not a child whose parent made the decision for me.

Now, shoo fly, don't bother me. :booty:

Thank you for your support, DeafAlex.:ty: I was hoping that people would be able to see that other people can believe the decision is not right for them (or their child) but that that same person can also support another person's decision to get an implant for themselves or their child.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming:

How are you doing today? Any new discoveries? Are things all healed up? :) I really am happy for you because in your posts I can tell that you are truly happy with your decision! :dance: (A little happy dance for you!)

Good morning Alex!! How are you feeling today? Getting used to hearing all these new and wonderful sounds?

I wish I can SAY "Good Morning" to you in my voice so you can hear me, rather than type it! :)

you could always record yourself saying good morning, and posting the MP3 somehow. hehe

Thank you for your support, DeafAlex.:ty: I was hoping that people would be able to see that other people can believe the decision is not right for them (or their child) but that that same person can also support another person's decision to get an implant for themselves or their child.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming:

How are you doing today? Any new discoveries? Are things all healed up? :) I really am happy for you because in your posts I can tell that you are truly happy with your decision! :dance: (A little happy dance for you!)
No problem JadeSky :) Everything's healed, just getting through some discomfort from having the processor on over the implant and incision. I made it to 3pm today before I had to turn myself off due to exhaustion and a headache. I'm on program 2, which means I'm set a little louder than I was on day 1. My biggest thing today was being able to tell the radio was on :) A lot of background noise I can't decipher, and only know what it is if I see it, so that was cool!
Good morning Alex!! How are you feeling today? Getting used to hearing all these new and wonderful sounds?

I wish I can SAY "Good Morning" to you in my voice so you can hear me, rather than type it! :)
Fairly good. Sick! Was great up until 3 when I needed to turn myself off and take a nap! Feeling better now. It's fun to hear voices because they all sound like robots, even my own! The only thing I've found annoying so far is paper and packaging. It's very crinkly and louder than I remember as a kid. It's not uncomfortable loud, just annoying!
you could always record yourself saying good morning, and posting the MP3 somehow. hehe
That would be cool lol!

yeah, everybody had electronic voices for a few months for me last year, was kind of funny. I hate the sound of packaging tape.... there's always someone using packaging tape to tape up a package at work and uugghhhh! I just want to track down the person and steal the tape from them!

By electronic voices do you mean monotone?

Will the robotic voices eventually go away and become "normal" as your brain re learns?

By electronic voices do you mean monotone?

Will the robotic voices eventually go away and become "normal" as your brain re learns?

I never had electronic voices. I believe it will though, if you've heard normal voices before, the brain should reconnect them from old memories.

as in electronic/robotic.... computerized? voices don't sound so electronic anymore nowadays for me. but everyone's voices sound low, including females. I'm going to see if my audie will turn up the higher frequencies a bit more next month (when I was first activated, I couldn't tolerate any of the higher frequencies so she kept them really low, but since then it's been increased a bit). it takes time for the brain to adjust to the new auditory input, processing electronic signals into sound. I haven't had sound in my left ear for about 25 years, so it's going to take me more time to make sense of everything I'm hearing (possibly up to 2 years, and I'm already nearly 1 year in).

Not monotone. I can hear the inflection in voices. They just don't sound like voices :P And yes, it will progress to normal voices for most people!

Alex, which ear were you implanted in again? It seems your signature says the left ear has both the HA and CI! :P

I never had electronic voices. I believe it will though, if you've heard normal voices before, the brain should reconnect them from old memories.

But you don't have a CI?! Hearing with aids is completely different from a CI, of course you never had electronic voices. HA's provide amplified auditory signals. CI's provide electrical signals. A CI implanted almost always has to re-learn how to hear (if they've ever heard) because it's different, your brain has to build new synapses. In addition, profoundly deaf's brains have likely reassigned much of the hearing synapses because they weren't being used. This is why most deaf people have other heightened senses; their brain reassigns their unused synapses to another sense. Same thing happens when you learn a language but then don't use it for 3 years; your brain reassigns the synapses (or they die, depends!).

Alex, which ear were you implanted in again? It seems your signature says the left ear has both the HA and CI! :P

WOOPS LOL!!! I changed my signature on my phone earlier today, so I'll blame it on the wonky format :P CI is right ear, HA is left :)

This should give them a good workout lol :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG2naf70MbY"]The Surfaris - Wipeout - YouTube[/ame]

Back