CI Surgery Date :)

I can actually hear more with my Naida in my left ear than my right! Which is odd because my left ear is completely NR on all my audiograms, whereas my right can hear in the 100's in a couple frequencies. Having it tested on Friday and reprogramming the Naida for the left ear. Maybe they need to do masking because of my tinnitus? I don't know...

ETA: I can hear my Mom's dog bark close to me, my Dad if he's close to me (he's REALLY loud!), 18-wheeler on the freeway, etc. with it. I get some ambient noise that I can't identify as well.

I can actually hear more with my Naida in my left ear than my right! Which is odd because my left ear is completely NR on all my audiograms, whereas my right can hear in the 100's in a couple frequencies. Having it tested on Friday and reprogramming the Naida for the left ear. Maybe they need to do masking because of my tinnitus? I don't know...

ETA: I can hear my Mom's dog bark close to me, my Dad if he's close to me (he's REALLY loud!), 18-wheeler on the freeway, etc. with it. I get some ambient noise that I can't identify as well.

Very strange but at least you are picking up things with the Naida.

DeafAlex I'm excited to hear how your activation goes!! I read your blog:) I was wondering, what was the cause of your hearing loss when you were young?

DeafAlex I'm excited to hear how your activation goes!! I read your blog:) I was wondering, what was the cause of your hearing loss when you were young?

I suffered traumatic deafness from multiple skull fractures.

Hahaha BleedingPurist!! I was SO overwhelmed yesterday the last thing I wanted to do was get on the Internet! Going to copy and paste:
Well, I can hear!! Everything was very weird at first, sounding like squeaking noises that made no sense. But I could tell when my Mom laughed (I looked at her, said "I heard you laugh!" and started crying, lol! All of us, even the Audi, got all choked up :) By the end I could tell the difference between the Audi, my Mom, and my friend's squeaks. I was also hearing foot steps, knocking, fingernail tapping, doors, and packaging (which still sounds like very crinkly cellophane!) I got a headache before we even left the office! In the car, we tried two songs, one of which I knew the words to, and I was able to enjoy the melody and beat in both, and stay on track singing some of the words in the song I knew. It was very cool! I got none of the words, just squeakiness, but just being able to follow it is enough for me! I slept off my headache in the car and was good as new when I woke up :) By bedtime (6 hours after activation), I was able to follow the inflection in my Mom's voice, and was even able to pick out the word amazing from a sentence with my eyes closed! We tried more but I couldn't get anything else. So very exciting to get a word on day one!! The Audi said voices would get clearer within a few hours, but I didn't believe her until then! White noise such as traffic, wind, the water dispenser on the fridge, etc, all sound the same; a high-pitched squeaky static sound. Low sounds like light switches, doors, drawers, etc, all sound just like I remember, just much louder right now lol. I also was able to hear my dog bark! He has a high-pitched bark, so although I could hear my Mom's dog bark with my HA in, I couldn't hear my dog. Oh, and keyboard clacking sounds like I remember too! I was a broken record after activation, constantly saying "I heard that!" and giggling, lol! I'm very excited for Spring Break (starts on Sunday for me) so that I can get busy with rehab! I'm sick right now, first time since getting my tonsils out almost 4 months ago! Hopefully that will be gone by Sunday so that I have all the energy I can get to HEAR!!!

Your excitement and joy shows with every word!! :dj:

:D

Congratulations!!

Oh this is so exciting, Alex!! I'm so happy for you! Gosh this is bringing tears to my eyes and so thankful that this whole new world is opening up for you. I'm sure this gives hope to so many others!

I'll have to go follow your blog, I want to see how things improve and change for you on a day to day basis!!

I've got a huge smile on my face for you right now. So happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad things are going well for you! :) Best wishes for continued "discoveries" of sound :)!

Glad things are going well for you! :) Best wishes for continued "discoveries" of sound :)!

Say Jade . . . in this other thread you say you would not get one for your daughter if she would qualify. These posts seem to contradict each other. That is based on this "Personally, for my own child, if her hearing loss was profound enough that the doctors were recommending CIs, I would not get it for her." from your other post in the thread I have referenced below. I have added bold to show what made me react this way.

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/110661-what.html#post2166818

Say Jade . . . in this other thread you say you would not get one for your daughter if she would qualify. These posts seem to contradict each other. That is based on this "Personally, for my own child, if her hearing loss was profound enough that the doctors were recommending CIs, I would not get it for her." from your other post in the thread I have referenced below. I have added bold to show what made me react this way.

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/110661-what.html#post2166818

Just because I do not feel that a CI would be a good option for my own child does not mean that I can't see the joy that another person would feel with having a CI and being able to hear. I actually debated against sending best wishes to deafAlex (sorry, not sure if I got the spelling/capitalization on your name exactly right) because I was afraid someone might say something like this or that it might look contradictory. BUT- I DO wish deafAlex the best in her journey and I won't let fear of judgment keep me from wishing someone happiness. Also, I feel that you took my post out of context because if you read a little further on I also said the following:

Personally, for my own child, if her hearing loss was profound enough that the doctors were recommending CIs, I would not get it for her. There are too many reasons to list here (and if she were to become an adult and want one, I WOULD support her in that decision but I do not feel that is my decision to make for her) but I think it is important to understand my stance so you see that I am not "pro" CI. But, on the other side of that- I am not necessarily "anti" CI either. While I don't feel it is right for my child or my family for many reasons, that is not to say that it is not right (or the best option) for someone else's family. I believe that people should be FULLY informed and educated about BOTH sides of the issues before making such a big decision (and I know that people probably are not a lot of times because of SO many reasons) but I do support people's rights to make that decision for their family.

If you pay attention to what I have placed in bold, you also see that I would still support her in making that decision for herself if she chose to do that once she was older and that I also support other people's decision to get an implant. I hope if people choose to follow that link they will read the whole of what I am trying to say in that post and if there are then questions on what I said in that post, they can reply to it in that post.

Bottom line- although I do not feel it is the right decision for my family I will gladly support deafAlex in her journey and wish her the best in the days to follow.

Back