CI Surgery Date :)

good luck! hope everything went smoothly today!

My surgery is TODAY Ashley!! I am VERY excited!!! I'm only getting one for now, getting the second in 6-12 months. Getting the right (slightly better) ear done first.

Good luck! I'm sure the surgery will go well! Mine went great. I was implanted in October of 2006, Nucleus Freedom. What did you pick for your CI? Just curious.

She went with AB... will be activated with the Neptune, and she'll get the new AB BTE processor when it's available.

Welcome to the other side, Alex! I know you must be relieved to have the surgery behind you now.

When's activation? :)

Thanks everyone! Everything went well. I finally found relief from the awful jaw pain. Have the freight train in my ear, along with 2 different pitches of constant tinnitus, and a third pitch of bell-ringing tinnitus. Fun fun, lol!

Activation is 3/20 :)

Removed my bandage today! Incision looks pretty good! Top half of my ear is numb. I can feel the imant under the skin, and a paper clip sticks to the magnet! Pain is doing good, no steps backwards. Very happy with my recovery so far :)

Removed my bandage today! Incision looks pretty good! Top half of my ear is numb. I can feel the imant under the skin, and a paper clip sticks to the magnet! Pain is doing good, no steps backwards. Very happy with my recovery so far :)

That must be the oddest feeling....do you feel like you have super powers? :giggle:

Glad things are going well. I had surgery on my ears over 10 years ago and still can't feel the sides of my head or tops of my ears.

That must be the oddest feeling....do you feel like you have super powers? :giggle:
Hahaha, a little! My Mom is calling me Alexaya Bionica and Alex 2.0 :P It wasn't really REAL until I took the bandage off and felt the implant. Now it's real!

I would have to ask my Mom. But I went in at 10:15 and we were on the highway by 2:30.

I would have to ask my Mom. But I went in at 10:15 and we were on the highway by 2:30.

Thats pretty quick. I am bi-latteral , my first was almost 12 hours before I felt Ok enough to leave .. Second was much better , but still at least 6 hours from knockout to walk out.

Good luck.

How long did the surgery itself take?

I have actually be able to watch a CI surgery. The surgery itself took about 3 hours but there is about an hour prepping the patient (anesthesia, trimming hair, etc) and about an hour making sure the patient is coming out of anesthesia well, without complications (a patient is usually in recovery to a while before family is allowed to come to see them and that is because many people undergoing any surgery have adverse reactions to anesthesia (nausea, strangeness waking up, flirting with the doctors (I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that...))

I have actually be able to watch a CI surgery. The surgery itself took about 3 hours but there is about an hour prepping the patient (anesthesia, trimming hair, etc) and about an hour making sure the patient is coming out of anesthesia well, without complications (a patient is usually in recovery to a while before family is allowed to come to see them and that is because many people undergoing any surgery have adverse reactions to anesthesia (nausea, strangeness waking up, flirting with the doctors (I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that...))

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I could have googled it, but I was here :D. I've had a few surgeries in the past and tend to tolerate anesthesia well, but my last surgery was 20 years ago so who knows.

My surgery was like 2 and half hours... I can't remember for sure. My surgeon found ossification in my left cochlea so the surgery was a bit longer than expected because of that heh. But yeah, not too bad. I was at the hospital by 7:30 in the morning, surgery was at 10 I think, and I didn't leave the hospital until like 6ish at night cause it took me a while to wake up.

Yeah I handle anesthesia VERY well, so we were out of there pretty quickly. Plus we were 3hrs from home and they wanted us home before dark. I arrived at 8am. My surgery was scheduled for 9:45. Got delayed due to the Dr. overlooking an allergy and needing to change meds. Went into OR at 10:15. Texted a couple of people at 2:33pm right after we got on the highway. So pretty fast! My Mom was in recovery with me within a few minutes of me waking up because I was signing and the nurses don't know WHAT I was saying lol! I could barely open my eyes so I couldn't lipread, and for some reason I couldn't talk. So they went and got her quick. My mom said the nurse came out and was like "She's signing insistently but we don't know what she's saying! We need you!" LOL!!

I was in recovery for a few hours that's for sure. It was a 4-hour drive for me, but we spent the night at a hotel and drove home the next day. But yeah, just took me a while to wake up. I kinda woke up, but was feeling some pain so they gave me some morphine i think? and off to lala land I went again. didn't see my mom and stepdad until after they brought me out of the recovery area... in the post-recovery area? I don't know.

DeafAlex - How you finding wearing your Naida in your left ear? :)

My surgery was suppose to be the 2nd of the day but the first person was a no show. That freaked me out a little bit. So it was kind of a rush to get me in. I think it was about 8am and I was on my way home about 1:30pm.

Back