CI Surgery Date :)

Have a look at Alex's avatar picture. It's shows this INCLUDING the t com which I believe turns the mic off on the coil and allows you to hear from a mic on the ear.

With the new all in one processor from med el, you won't be able to hear from on your ear like you can with the Neptune.

but without the T-com, the mike is on the part that sticks to your head so you could get by without wearing something on your ear, right?

but without the T-com, the mike is on the part that sticks to your head so you could get by without wearing something on your ear, right?

Yes like the picture I showed.

You will always have to wear the box thing tho.

You'll be able to find all info from the AB website. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 11
You'll be able to find all info from the AB website. :)

I found it but it wasn't clear where the mike was until I looked at the specs for the waterproof one. The photo you showed didn't specify that either. They show the part that sticks to your head in black so it doesn't show the details well-not a good marketing piece :D.

That's good going. Wonder what your battery life will be with the BTE processor when you get it.

I've got 2 friends (sisters) with the harmony and they have to replace their batteries more then twice a day even with new rechargeables. I know it all depends on what type of mapping you have as well :)

Do they have the first generation implant? It does have high power requirements. The current generation easily allows for one battery change per day with power to carry over to the next day. The Naida CI along with the Optima power-saving program would mean no battery change at all. Actually, the same will apply to the Neptune and Harmony as well.

Fidelity 120 does relatively use a lot of power compared to others due to having 120 channels. If I've been listening to music all day my battery life is shorter due to the workload.

Do they have the first generation implant? It does have high power requirements. The current generation easily allows for one battery change per day with power to carry over to the next day. The Naida CI along with the Optima power-saving program would mean no battery change at all. Actually, the same will apply to the Neptune and Harmony as well.

Fidelity 120 does relatively use a lot of power compared to others due to having 120 channels. If I've been listening to music all day my battery life is shorter due to the workload.

I believe they do or the one after, it was 12/13 years ago they had it implanted. :)

Since the new clinic I am going to has AB--what are the pros/cons of the different wearing options for you? Sounds like the new processor is worth getting when it's available. The waterproof option is attractive. I can't imaging swimming with it on though but getting caught outside in a rain storm is something that happens enough. Is it extra for the various wearing options-t-mic, etc. or do you just pick from a list of things you want?

Since the new clinic I am going to has AB--what are the pros/cons of the different wearing options for you? Sounds like the new processor is worth getting when it's available. The waterproof option is attractive. I can't imaging swimming with it on though but getting caught outside in a rain storm is something that happens enough. Is it extra for the various wearing options-t-mic, etc. or do you just pick from a list of things you want?

Generally, it comes as an entire package with all of the accessories. I believe Neptunes are now coming with the T Comm and the accompanying T Mic all in the same package. What you choose are your colors and cable lengths.

You get everything you need from the get-go.

Generally, it comes as an entire package with all of the accessories. I believe Neptunes are now coming with the T Comm and the accompanying T Mic all in the same package. What you choose are your colors and cable lengths.

You get everything you need from the get-go.

Ok. Do you get a choice of cable lengths too? I could see where that would be something I would want options for, clip it on a shirt, or in a ponytail, etc.

You get to choose 4 cable lengths and colors, 2 are UHP cords, 2 are Aqua cords. You also get to choose the accessories you want for wearing it. I chose the arm band, pouch, and headband (holds the magnet on while you swim). You automatically get the clip. The T-Comm is an option, you can get one or not. If you choose not to, you get extra cables instead.

So far I've only worn it on my head, until right now. My implant was sore from the headband, so I clipped it to my shirt collar. I like it on my head so far, but I have longer cables for when I want to try it other places.

Ok. Do you get a choice of cable lengths too? I could see where that would be something I would want options for, clip it on a shirt, or in a ponytail, etc.

Yes, that is the main thing you will be picking out besides colors. I believe you get a choice of two cable lengths. I don't remember the choices off the bat. I do not have a Neptune as my insurance denied it and I decided not to fight them further after they denied my appeal because I need to save it for the Naida CI (I knew it was coming last year.) I am choosing which battle I will win.

The Neptune is small! The pictures just don't do it any justice. Somehow, it looks deceptively bigger in photos. In reality, it is the size of a tube of lipstick, just slightly wider with the Connect module (the Volume, Sensitivity, Program Slot Switch, and direct connect input module.) You don't have to have the Connect module connected for it to function after you set your settings and you are required to remove it for swimming.

I used it as part of testing of the Optima strategy, so I got to try it out for a month. You can use it with a lanyard around your neck, which is how I preferred to wear it (under my shirt.) You can also clip it anywhere, really. The shorter the cable, the less pulling there is.

I loved the Neptune for the ease of direct-connecting. I'd have a mix of external microphone so I could continue to hear what was around me while having my music piped directly to my brain. :) It's like the best pair of headphones you can have (as well as the most expensive!) You can use a bluetooth headset clip (a small bluetooth receiver that allows you to plug in your choice of headphones, but instead of headphones you just plug a cable from it to the Neptune) so that you can wirelessly pipe music and phone calls via direct connect.

It's a great rugged option to have with the battery configuration. You probably wouldn't want to have to use it as your full-time, only processor choice, but you will love having the option if you go with it.

I agree that it's deceptively big in pictures! The first thing I said when my Audi handed it to me was "It's so tiny!!"

You get 4 cord choices(2 UHP and 2 Aqua) The lengths are 6", 12", 18", 24", and 32". I got 2 6" (one UHP and one Aqua), a 12" (UHP) and a 24" (Aqua). You can use Aqua cords if you're not swimming, just remember when picking them out that the Aqua cords will NOT plug in to the T-Comm, because the T-Comm is not waterproof and they don't want you making a fatal mistake.

I purposely chose black cables for my UHP, and white for the aquamic, so I immediately know which is which without having to look at the plugs. works for me! :)

SO how goes it so far? You getting any more speech yet or are you going to have to wait for a new mapping?

I'm getting more speech :) Mostly when I'm watching TV because reading the captions magically enables me to understand the words with my implant lol. I'm on the 2nd program with the volume all the way up. Will move to program 3 after I get dressed :)

Mostly when I'm watching TV because reading the captions magically enables me to understand the words with my implant lol.

This kind of magic works for me too. However, sometimes I get angry because captions are different from the sound and it is really disturbing -.-
But it also works in a more interesting way - when I'm watching a movie in English with Czech captions, I sometimes understand even spoken English .. because I can immediately "translate" the captions into English, so I know what I can expect :)
(I'm not a native speaker, so understanding spoken English without clues (text, lipreading etc.) is .. no way :))

DeafAlex I read your blog. Sorry about the allergic reaction. I had a massive, serious allergic reaction after my surgery. It took two months to go away. A allergy patch test showed I was allergic to Mastisol which is the liquid adhesive they use to keep the bandages on,

I don't know how to post the picture. I always have to ask Botti. Sorry Botti.
Warning though...the picture is really gross.

Back