CI Surgery approved today

I never could hear the beeps. Plus once my brain heard the beep, my mind would copy it. I was saying I heard the beep when there wasn't any. I hope that explains it at least a little. Audi says this is due to my "extreme tinnitus".

Yep, happens to almost all of us. That is why I wait until it is an obvious beep, or three obvious beeps.

@green427 This might sound totally crazy but I need to know. Since I have only one CI and when they are testing it and I am not able to hear what their saying, I can't really educate myself. My hubby is always there, but I want to know what is going on with "me". Does that make sense??????

Yes....if I am in a room with people discussing what to do with me, I would be pissed if they made decisions without my knowledge. It is no different when a hearing person is lying on a surgery table, and knows everyone is deciding behind a glass window how to deal with your surgery and not involving you.

My parents did that to me all the time, so it is a sore subject with me as well.

My head feels like it is going to explode. I don't think it has anything to do with my CI but ever since all the testing at my audis the other day, I am having a difficult time. They did a pressure sensor test on my non implanted ear. Since then I just don't feel very good. Lots of noise, pressure and dizziness. Having a hard time sleeping too. Need to feel better soon, it is almost Maui time:):)

My head feels like it is going to explode. I don't think it has anything to do with my CI but ever since all the testing at my audis the other day, I am having a difficult time. They did a pressure sensor test on my non implanted ear. Since then I just don't feel very good. Lots of noise, pressure and dizziness. Having a hard time sleeping too. Need to feel better soon, it is almost Maui time:):)

Same here...but no CI...very dizzy...hard to read lips...will see my ENT next month but if I'm no better, am gonna call in....taking asprin and getting as much rest as I can...walking a straight line is impossible for me...feel it's the auditory nerve damage or the left ear is infected...hoping it will be drained (vacuumed) out next month and that will solve the problem.

Angel,

Those EVIL beeps have fooled me too. You had a VERY long appointment the other day so your brain is going HELP ME!!! I have felt that way a few times. It could also be the California Weather I think we are about to get some Rain so there is more pressure. Have a great time in MAUI!

Wondering if my anniversary gift found its way to you and your husband? I hope I was not too late.

My offer still stands, if you video the appt. Im happy to add the conversation ( captions) to the video for you. It's still not same as knowing what the adui is saying right then. But you will know what was said in full detail at some point this way. Then able to talk about it at a later date.

Idea for thought!

Wondering if my anniversary gift found its way to you and your husband? I hope I was not too late.

My offer still stands, if you video the appt. Im happy to add the conversation ( captions) to the video for you. It's still not same as knowing what the adui is saying right then. But you will know what was said in full detail at some point this way. Then able to talk about it at a later date.

Idea for thought!

:hmm:.....:roll:

Idea for thought!

:hmm:.....:roll:

:lol: Or just record the audio on a pocket recorder and ask your husband, kids, or a friend to tell you all that was said when you are away from there.

If it was me, I would have the audi type out what she was saying so you would know right then. They are used to working with deaf people and it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

:lol: Or just record the audio on a pocket recorder and ask your husband, kids, or a friend to tell you all that was said when you are away from there.

If it was me, I would have the audi type out what she was saying so you would know right then. They are used to working with deaf people and it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Do most Audis type to their deaf patients? Or at least know some ASL?

I thought that my Audi should be able to type things out for me but she doesn't do that. The only doctor who types to me is my primary care and she is wonderful. Even the CI rep didn't type and we asked. I am strongly thinking about finding a new audi.

On a positive note I tired my lapel pin microphone today and it is amazing. To bad it is not wireless. I did notice I can order a longer cord, but maybe a wireless version will happen soon.

Do most Audis type to their deaf patients? Or at least know some ASL?

I thought that my Audi should be able to type things out for me but she doesn't do that. The only doctor who types to me is my primary care and she is wonderful. Even the CI rep didn't type and we asked. I am strongly thinking about finding a new audi.

On a positive note I tired my lapel pin microphone today and it is amazing. To bad it is not wireless. I did notice I can order a longer cord, but maybe a wireless version will happen soon.

Lots of audiologists do not know ASL, but they should communicate with you in writing if you don't know ASL yourself and can't use an interpreter.

And if there is a refusal to communicate to you so you are able to understand, I would absolutely find a different audiologist who will accomodate you.

Our CI clinic audis typically sign with my daughter -- especially since the CI microphone has to be off during the mapping. Some have been fluent, some less so -- but they always know enough to communicate what's going on, why, what's being changed, etc.

OK I have another question and I am desperate. My CI at this time is doing wonderful and I am really happy about that. My problem is the intense, horrific noises that are with me 24/7. They seem to be more noticeable in my nonimplanted, right ear.

We are leaving for Maui soon and I am scared to death that the jet noise and pressure is going to be excruciatingly painful.

My question is....my right unimplanted ear has a a tiny but almost no response amount of hearing and I was wondering if a HA might help with the noise. Is there away that a HA could help drown out that noise.

I am desperate cos my hubby deserves this trip to celebrate our 25th more then anything. I want it to be perfect and not having him worry about me.

I emailed my audi and I am guessing there is no help, but I am desperate. Haven't slept in almost 2 weeks. Is there any HOPE?????

The only way to find out if a hearing aid will help is to try a hearing aid in the unimplanted ear. I would also ask your audi and surgeon if they have any suggestions. I hope the tinnitus quiets down for you.

I received a reply to my email from the audi about the posibility of trying a hearing aid in my right, non implanted ear to see if it might help with this horrific tinnitus. She said I can come in and give it a try. I was hoping to do this before our trip but I think that won't happen. It would be amazing if it works and if I could use it for the plane ride. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

I received a reply to my email from the audi about the posibility of trying a hearing aid in my right, non implanted ear to see if it might help with this horrific tinnitus. She said I can come in and give it a try. I was hoping to do this before our trip but I think that won't happen. It would be amazing if it works and if I could use it for the plane ride. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Unfortunately it can take 2 weeks for an ear mold to be made. Don't know if an ?open-fit? would work.

sometimes they can do a rush order on the earmold, but it does still take quite a few days at the least.

They got me an appointment for this Wednesday just to try a hearing aid to see if it might calm the tinnitus. We shall see if it works. I am feeling optimistic!!!

hope it helps! Usually I have to turn on my hearing aid on and get some noise going (music or TV or something) to tune out the tinnitus in my non-implanted ear. Sometimes even that doesn't work, most of the time I can drown out the tinnitus.

hope it helps! Usually I have to turn on my hearing aid on and get some noise going (music or TV or something) to tune out the tinnitus in my non-implanted ear. Sometimes even that doesn't work, most of the time I can drown out the tinnitus.

I am praying it will work. My audi is really trying to help me so I feel blessed.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! It is getting dark and ready to rain here:-(

Just got back from a different audi. OMG she was so knowledgeable compared to the CI audi. WHY do all audis talk so fast?? Hubby kept telling her to slow down or I would miss most of what she said, but she did it over and over!!
Anyway after reading my chart and talking to me she was certain a hearing aid in my non implanted ear would not help at all with the tinnitus. She was right, it just hurt. She says I have severe nerve damage and noise is painful for me. She used medical terms but I could not hear what she was saying. We tried a few hearing aids but no go. Plus their not covered by my insurance. I can have CI surgery fully covered, but no hearing aids, juat crazy and I am really sorry for those who need them and can't afford them. Why do insurance companies say they are cosmetic? Really!!! Wanting to hear is cosmetic.

I left there with more tinnitus then when I went in , but I am not letting anything stop me from feeling happy about our vacation. If I can make it thru the 5+ hour plane ride with my ears, then all wil be fantastic after that.
Hope everyone is doing well.

Back