CI Removal Tomorrow morning

Valorrian

I had meningitis when I was 18 and lost my hearing. I’m 21 now. I tried for a CI but was told the same thing too much ossification and wouldn’t receive any benefit. Curious did your son learn sign language?

DOD

I had meningitis when I was 18 and lost my hearing. I’m 21 now. I tried for a CI but was told the same thing too much ossification and wouldn’t receive any benefit. Curious did your son learn sign language?
H Valorrian, You are right with ossification from meningitis there is not much hope for CI being beneficial. I just wish the doctors would have been more up front about that. When you say Sign language to me that means ASL. It is a struggle when there are so many MCE's that the schools try to teach so what we have learned is a hybrid of ASL and MCE's.

inmate23

BAHAs maybe an option but what I say is signing regardless amplation is the best policy to the point where I am aim to study it.

attilio1911

Not going to re-implant. Hearing loss was due to meningitis so CI's generally don't work for most people that are deafened by meningitis due to ossification of the cochlea.

Wow, I never seen that before! I have my N22 implant for 25 full years and upgraded all the way to N6. I have tinnitus occasionally but i don't let disability stop me.

Thanks for the good thoughts. He had bacterial (pneumococcal meningitis). No immune system disorder. He had a congenital malformation of his left cochlea with CSF leak. Ear infection triggered the meningitis.

May I ask if you know the clinical name of the malformation?

I see. Did the malformation require a reparation surgery in order to prevent recurrent meningitis?
Also, the CI did not provide any benefit: does this mean that it did not work at all, or could it somehow feign noise, though completely unintelligible?