• No

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
RedRum said:
I am not going to interfered with other parents, as everyone's entitled to their own opinions. It is between them.

I support my own children's and listen to them because they are my responsibity. no one else !

U are entitled to you opinions just like everyone else in here.. What do u mean what we don't see. U believe in what u want to believe in I accept your opinions and everyone else too. For me As a Mother It is just how I feel about young children and babies having implants and I understand ur point of view also u have the right to believe what is best for ur child/ children... Just like everyone else in here believes what best also... *smile*

Banjo said:
Exactly, there are too many people who interfere with parents' decisions in their children's lives.

The worst part is, they refuse to learn about the technology, so how can a person keep an open mind on the subject?

Banjo :)

Even though I may not agree with the idea of implanting infants, I won't influence any parents not to have them. I absolutely agree that it is entirely up to the parents to decide for themselves what they should do for the child.

I just wish that people would not think that we are so ignorant or close minded on this subject. We might know something about it, but still refuse this treatment because we do not feel that it is right. For example, if a Basque parent sent his kid to a Spanish school, and the school wants to throw the Basque language out of school, then the parent would feel offended. He might take the kid out of school and send to another school that teaches Basque.

Anyway, you should take your own advice though. Stop telling other people that their ideas are wrong or ill-informed. You can only decide for what is best for your own child.

kuifje75 said:

Even though I may not agree with the idea of implanting infants, I won't influence any parents not to have them. I absolutely agree that it is entirely up to the parents to decide for themselves what they should do for the child.

I just wish that people would not think that we are so ignorant or close minded on this subject. We might know something about it, but still refuse this treatment because we do not feel that it is right. For example, if a Basque parent sent his kid to a Spanish school, and the school wants to throw the Basque language out of school, then the parent would feel offended. He might take the kid out of school and send to another school that teaches Basque.

Anyway, you should take your own advice though. Stop telling other people that their ideas are wrong or ill-informed. You can only decide for what is best for your own child.

Your'e Correct That is exectly How I feel as a Mother...
Well Said kuifje75!;)

RedRum said:
I am not going to interfered with other parents, as everyone's entitled to their own opinions. It is between them.

I support my own children's and listen to them because they are my responsibity. no one else !

I understand & respect your view because you protect your daughters´s future because you love them but we´re here to share our opinions/discussion to see what right or not. It doesn't mean that we all influence, against or insult their opinions but they can decide themselves what they think it's right or not because they want do is protect their children's future. :cuddle:

I protect/support my son´s (11) & (8) future because I love them & want to see them happy, that´s why I´m here to collect your opinions.

I like to know/listen their view over my opinion to see if they are disagree or not because I´m here to collect your experiences because I need it.

I love my 8 years old floppy ear son too much to force him to do something what he don´t want but I know he will change his mind one day. He love to being "flattery" by anyone "how cute you are" because of his floppy ear. Ha Ha! :mrgreen: :) :P :ily:

Banjo said:
Exactly, there are too many people who interfere with parents' decisions in their children's lives.

The worst part is, they refuse to learn about the technology, so how can a person keep an open mind on the subject?

*Sigh*....

I wish you would stop telling others inculding me that their ideas or what they believe is all wrong....You can only decide for what is BEST for your child...And Please leave it to that!...

I am NOT interfere with any parent's decisions in their child life....I am only voice my opinion of what I believe or think it is right as a Parent...I believe as a parent that a child should be into this decisions of getting a CI because the child is the ONE who is going to wear them not the parents!....I find it very unfair that a parent makes that decisions without a child being involved in this decisions too....Just remerber who is wearing the CI!... ;)

And, It has NOTHING to do about learning the technology....It's about a Child's CHOICE!....

As everyone's entitled to their own opinions!... :grouphug:

^Angel^ said:
I wish you would stop telling others inculding me that their ideas or what they believe is all wrong....You can only decide for what is BEST for your child...And Please leave it to that!...

Did I say you were wrong?

No.

My opinion is my opinion, your opinion is your opinion. If you don't want to be disagreed with then keep your opinions to yourself if you don't want to get upset.

Now, what you are saying is trampling onto my right to speak my mind even if you disagree with it. How would you like it if you were told to shut up?

I wouldn't like it. That is why I don't tell people to shut up but I do make suggestions that if they don't want to get upset, then they may have to make some choices in how to post.

But I do have a problem with people who spew out a lot of misinformation and try to post it as facts. I am not saying that you're doing it, but there are people who have a bad habit of doing that.

I do not want people to get the misinformation from this forum, especially the parents of deaf children. No, I'm not talking about the beliefs, I'm talking about the bad information that some people provide while it is simply overdone and untrue.

Beliefs, they are important to everybody including me. But we do have to remember that we cannot force our beliefs onto everybody. But for me, facts and information come first, not my beliefs.

I am NOT interfere with any parent's decisions in their child life....I am only voice my opinion of what I believe or think it is right as a Parent

Yet you support the idea of banning cochlear implants for babies.

How is that not interfering with the parents' decisions?

...I believe as a parent that a child should be into this decisions of getting a CI because the child is the ONE who is going to wear them not the parents!....I find it very unfair that a parent makes that decisions without a child being involved in this decisions too....Just remerber who is wearing the CI!... ;)

How is it unfair?

A 6 months old baby is not capable of making its own wise decision. If they don't like it. Then just stop wearing it which is quite a simple solution.

Is a 6 months old baby capable of filling out a medical form?

No.

Is a 6 months old baby capable of changing its own diapers?

No.

Is a 6 months old baby capable of defending itself from child molesters?

No.

That is why we have parents... to make wise decisions for us. That goes for cochlear implants too.

If you want to implant your child, that is fine with me.

If you don't want to implant your child, that is fine with me.

But if you interfere with a parent's decision, that is not fine with me.

And, It has NOTHING to do about learning the technology....It's about a Child's CHOICE!....

You said that you are not interfering with any parents' decisions when it to come to their children, how is this not interfering with the parents' decisions?

As everyone's entitled to their own opinions!... :grouphug:

Yes, everybody are entitled to their opinions, but everybody are also entitled to agree or disagree.

Just my two cents.

kuifje75 said:

This I agree very much so with. It is the parents' choice to make the decisions, not ours.

Whatever the decision is, I'm fine with it.

Yes, but I do have a problem with people who try to get something like cochlear implants banned simply because they don't like it. The biggest problem is, it is the misinformation that get me peeved most of the time in the threads because they are usually posted as facts instead of opinions.

It is no different from people trying to ban donuts simply because they think it taste too sweet.

It is a personal decision, and it will affect the family, but not the world.

Yes, I can only decide for what is best for my own child. But the thing is, if I don't agree with a person's idea on a forum.

Whatever I think of is what I write down onto the papers.

Banjo said:
Yes, but I do have a problem with people who try to get something like cochlear implants banned simply because they don't like it. The biggest problem is, it is the misinformation that get me peeved most of the time in the threads because they are usually posted as facts instead of opinions.

I do agree that banning CI is such a dramatic decision. Nobody should do that. The option should be available for everyone to have. It is how some people use that technology to assume that being deaf is a bad thing, which isn't necessarily true. It's the approach that people should have problem with. CI users should not lecture or preach to people that they must have CIs, and deaf people also should the same, not to lecture on people that they cant have CIs for whatever reason. People need to remain objective with their influence on people.

^Angel^ said:
*Sigh*....

I am NOT interfere with any parent's decisions in their child life....I am only voice my opinion of what I believe or think it is right as a Parent...I believe as a parent that a child should be into this decisions of getting a CI because the child is the ONE who is going to wear them not the parents!....I find it very unfair that a parent makes that decisions without a child being involved in this decisions too....Just remerber who is wearing the CI!... ;)

:grouphug:

Exactly!!!! :cuddle:
I´m total agree with you. That´s exactly what I mean. :ily:

kuifje75 said:
I do agree that banning CI is such a dramatic decision. Nobody should do that.

The option should be available for everyone to have. It is how some people use that technology to assume that being deaf is a bad thing, which isn't necessarily true.

Well, this I cannot argue with. It really depend on how a person's lifestyle is like. It does depend on the areas they live, and the communities too.

CI users should not lecture or preach to people that they must have CIs, and deaf people also should the same, not to lecture on people that they cant have CIs for whatever reason. People need to remain objective with their influence on people.

Yes, that's right. People should not preach to people on what to do with their lives.

There are many unnecessary preaching that happen around us everyday. I have seen it at a certain forum but cannot name it due to the rules.

Banjo, yeah that is sad....I was oringally thinking that they were the type who got some benifit from aids before, but I forgot that you're in Canada, where the qualifications for implantation are stricter then for here in the States. It does seem to me that a lot of the anti-CIers are also anti-HOH involvement in the Deaf community....Oh well there's extremists in EVERY community, and most of the time they don't represent what most members of that community REALLY believe!

Kuife, I agree with you....I just think that there should be a little more regulation in regards to pediatic implantion. I mean I have NOTHING against a kid who doesn't really get any benifit from aids being implanted....but when kids are being implanted who get a lot of benifit from aids(eg they can hear 80% or 60% with aids)....that's where I begin to quibble with implantation.

Cheri said:
I have no clue what u talking about.. I did not make up this thread.. So I Did not bring up Ci into this.. I have no clue what or where u getting this information from... U lost me here.. Aids has nothing to do with Ci or having hearing aids.. we talking about way totally different view here.. Aids is something else..

Don't know what I am talkin' about ? Go and look at what you posted "Facts about Cochlear Implants". That's what I talked about. Get it? And, of course some people don't understand what I talked about, because they don't see my views. Liebling understands me, because Liebling sees my view. I talked about WHICH one is the worse in between CI and AIDS that little babies/children suffered ... that's MY view in there. That's all and of course, it is a little bit off topic. Understand?

CyberRed said:
Don't know what I am talkin' about ? Go and look at what you posted "Facts about Cochlear Implants". That's what I talked about. Get it? And, of course some people don't understand what I talked about, because they don't see my views. Liebling understands me, because Liebling sees my view. I talked about WHICH one is the worse in between CI and AIDS that little babies/children suffered ... that's MY view in there. That's all and of course, it is a little bit off topic. Understand?

We again talking about Ci and Hearing Aids.. Aids are for Health not ears... There is no comparing notes for Aids and Ci.. Thank you..If U Find anything in website compares Ci with Aids go ahead... :P

Banjo said:
Now, what you are saying is trampling onto my right to speak my mind even if you disagree with it. How would you like it if you were told to shut up?

I wouldn't like it. That is why I don't tell people to shut up but I do make suggestions that if they don't want to get upset, then they may have to make some choices in how to post.

Whoa!....

I think you misunderstanding me here.....I never said ' shut up' and of course, I wouldn't like it if someone said that to me....And Of Course you have the right to voice your opinions so am I! :)....

Yet you support the idea of banning cochlear implants for babies.

Well that's my opinion.....Am I allow? Thank you! :)

A 6 months old baby is not capable of making its own wise decision. If they don't like it. Then just stop wearing it which is quite a simple solution

Ok, So youre saying that a Child is NOT allow to make the choice or decision of getting the CI?...Even the Child is the ONE who is going to wear it...

hmmm....Interesting!...

Cheri said:
We again talking about Ci and Hearing Aids.. Aids are for Health not ears... There is no comparing notes for Aids and Ci.. Thank you..If U Find anything in website compares Ci with Aids go ahead... :P

You don't understand what I talked about. Like I said earlier that it is a little bit off topic when I mentioned about AIDS. And, yes I know what you are talkin' about "AIDS are for health not ears". It's why I said it's a little bit off topic. Don't try to debate more with me, because you don't see my view... enough of discussion here. No offense intended !

Liebling:-))) said:
Absolutely Correct!...
I understand what you mean :cool:

Thank you for seein' my views. *Chuckles* That's all I share. :)

Deaf258 said:
I have been profoundly d/Deaf since birth, I speak very well, I read many college level books and novels, and I didn't need a CI to get thru life. From the arguments I am reading on Cochlear Implant threads and from arguments from Pro-CI people, I am deeply offended that the implications are I am not good enough of a person and a fucktard for not having a CI.! I even had a friend come up to me a month ago with the nerve to tell me if I do not agree with him on issues with cochlear implants, I am no longer his friend. That was so fucked up!

Despite the differences between everyone, if you let CIs get in the way of respect and friendship towards other people, you need to get your head examined!!!

I've had my CI for 3 years now -- so far, it hasn't affected any of my friendships I developed prior to obtaining the CI. Have been approached about the issue of implanting kids whilst they're still young and so forth. I told them that it's really up to the family and person who will be getting the implant.
There are pros and cons of having an implant and the controversy surrounding the question of whether parents are right to have their babies, young toddlers to be implanted at such an early age -- will ALWAYS be there, no matter what. (the controversy, that is)

As for improving a child's speech comprenhency if implanted early or thinking the CI'd make the child be hearing 'permanently' is the wrong idea to come off on. It does NOT always work like that for every child and individual who obtained a CI. It depends on everyone and how they've adapted to having one and going through intense training to improve listening and speech comphrency, etc.

CyberRed said:
You don't understand what I talked about. Like I said earlier that it is a little bit off topic when I mentioned about AIDS

CyberRed,

I understand what you're trying to say about ' Health '....but Unfortunately, 'Aids' is wayyy off the topic here....That's why I got a bit confused reading your post too.....No hard feelings here and No offense here either!..... :D

Let's not get boiled up with emotions here....And I enjoy reading everyone's post! :)

Let's move on to the Topic of CI Shall we?... :fingersx:

Last edited:
CyberRed said:
AIDS is the worse for the little babies/children than CI. And, of course CI sometimes give some health problems, but think about AIDS ... AIDS is the worse painful than CI, because AIDS cut the babies/children's life short than young children who wear CI. Parents will be able to see CI children for a very long time...except those little babies/children who have AIDS. Parents will not be able to see their AIDS babies/children very long. The reason I said this is because, of what I am readin' Cheri's post with all the list of health problems. So..umm...I am against CI, of course... but, when it comes for other parents who want to make their own decisions for their own kids to wear CI, the parents are puttin' it like a "coat" to "cover naked". That's what the parents are seein' in it when it comes to "naked". But, to compare with AIDS babies...that's the worse than CI children, because all you can see "death" in AIDS, not CI in the eyes of ours except for the cause when the health problem discussed. I can see the both sides ... CI and AIDS. CI and AIDS are a BIG difference.
*Exhalin'* ... So, ummm what do you see in between CI and AIDS ? Do you see anything in between CI and AIDS that might give a little bit better ? :)

I came across a Maine News website, it had a ad that says
"Partnership for A Tobacco Free Maine
Did You Know....
Tobacco kills more people than
illegal drugs, alcohol, AIDS, murders,
suicides and car crashes combined."

I guess smoking cigarette is worse risk than getting implanted with CI eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back