CI on head ?

NYNY

Reaction score
I'm currently unable to get a response from the fellow who did the surgery for my implant. Perhaps someone knows what's happening. I don't have local CI experts.

When the implant was done, it protrudes on my mastoid. There's also a movable "tube-like" thing that runs directly to the back of my ear. Between the two, it's making wearing my wire-frame glasses (got them two years ago and only recently began wearing them) very painful. I wear the implant on my shirt because it just will not stay behind my ear. I'm beginning to wonder if there's surgery to change this. The implant is held in place with mesh and screws.

I may ask for a copy of the surgery report as I think I may have been ignored the first time I asked them about a year ago.

Thank you for your time.

what kind of CI do you have?? let any CI users to reply you.
Thank you, Frisky Feline. It's Advanced Bionics. Of course, anyone who has any idea why this could have occurred would be more than welcome.

Also, I did view the gentleman who had a recent implant (in hospital it appears) and his ear is what I expected mine to look like but I have a bulge and little room for my glasses ear piece to fit just barely under it and over the cylinder (flexible tube thing).

I appear to be reaching a place where I will have to decide to see or process sounds with the implant. That's the crux of the problem. So, I'd like to understand what happened.

Is the bump your actual implant? If your processor won't fit under the implant, they can do a repositioning surgery. If the bump isn't your implant, you might still have some swelling or an infection that is causing swelling.

Is the bump your actual implant? If your processor won't fit under the implant, they can do a repositioning surgery. If the bump isn't your implant, you might still have some swelling or an infection that is causing swelling.
HOH-ME: It's not an infection but your conclusion and suggestion was a very logical one. It's the dang implant. I have to have my spouse take a photo of it and will post it here. Repositioning surgery sounds like a great option to explore. I'd like you guys to look first.

THANKS (!!!) for the first possible resolution, HOH-ME. The picture will be posted soon.

I have to fill out a release of what occurred during surgery. The doctor continues not to respond, so I'll just overwhelm my physician. I will read it and translate what I can. Still have not been able to get a picture.

HOH-ME: If it can be moved (the internal part), we should know based on the surgery report. If the electrodes aren't long enough, AB (they're next on my list) will need to tell me if this is possible. It's a start.

There should be enough play in the electrodes to move the implant a little, usually anyway.

It's just hard to wear glasses and the processor normally but if they did not give you enough space to fit your processor, that's another issue.

There should be enough play in the electrodes to move the implant a little, usually anyway.

It's just hard to wear glasses and the processor normally but if they did not give you enough space to fit your processor, that's another issue.
HOH-ME, I sent for a release of the complete surgical records and will have them sent to a local doctor who won't understand it. I should be able to decipher it. That's part I. Then I have to get in touch with the company and I'll ask them if there's wiggle room.

I need to get to the bottom of why the implant isn't flush. But that should be buried in the records. Thanks for checking in. This is going to be a long process.

Ah, yeah, another issue for BleedingPurist and I to stop (you just mentioned it). In many forums, including this one, I believe those who asked about wearing a CI with glasses were sort of laughed at. I had both and now's my time to chime in that you're right - depending on the placement of the processor, you may have an issue wearing them.

HOH-ME, I sent for a release of the complete surgical records and will have them sent to a local doctor who won't understand it. I should be able to decipher it. That's part I. Then I have to get in touch with the company and I'll ask them if there's wiggle room.

I need to get to the bottom of why the implant isn't flush. But that should be buried in the records. Thanks for checking in. This is going to be a long process.

Ah, yeah, another issue for BleedingPurist and I to stop (you just mentioned it). In many forums, including this one, I believe those who asked about wearing a CI with glasses were sort of laughed at. I had both and now's my time to chime in that you're right - depending on the placement of the processor, you may have an issue wearing them.

Your implant isn't supposed to be flush--your skull just typically isn't thick enough to do that. Most surgeons will carve out a bed in your head but it generally won't be totally flush.

Your implant isn't supposed to be flush--your skull just typically isn't thick enough to do that. Most surgeons will carve out a bed in your head but it generally won't be totally flush.
HOH-ME: That's what I needed to know. Arghhh ... that's why I'm here - no answer from the doctor for too, too long and you figure it out (that's a frustrated compliment to you). I'm still going to see if the electrodes are long enough to move. That will come when I dissect my med. records and more ...

When we were in the audiologist large room waiting for the initial tests, we saw a bald-headed guy with the magnet on. He was flush and there's a guy somewhere in a thread who showed us what his ear looked like and maybe he just didn't show the lump.

I doubt anything was carved in my skull but we'll see.

Sincere thanks again.

* * * * This is from a page at Gaudette and just reinforces what you write:

https://www.gallaudet.edu/clerc_cen...on_center/ci_navigating_a_forest/surgery.html

• A small depression is created in the mastoid bone directly behind the incision to hold the receiver so that it is flush with the skull.

• The surgeon drills through the mastoid bone to the inner ear and the electrode array is then inserted into the cochlea.

• The receiver is secured to the skull and the incision is closed with stitches.
In my case, I hadn't seen this and I can't say if the doctor or audiologist told me.

Last edited:
I can't really offer anything other than share that my implant is flush. You can't really see it's there without my processor. Hopefully they can do that for you. I also wear glasses. My implant doesnt interfere at all with them, but the processor can depending on the arm style. Really nothing new from wearing a hearing aid.

Bad photos in living color

I can't really offer anything other than share that my implant is flush. You can't really see it's there without my processor. Hopefully they can do that for you. I also wear glasses. My implant doesnt interfere at all with them, but the processor can depending on the arm style. Really nothing new from wearing a hearing aid.
BleedingPurist: You and HOH-ME were going to be notified when the pics were posted (they just arrived). You can see where the red is from my glasses and maybe see the lump it has to go over that runs from the implant (you can't see the mass unless I shave my hair a bit and that's staying until I get it cut for Locks of Love for kids). Apparently, the mass itself isn't big - it just feels like it but it is messin' with my head. I pulled my hair back and folded over my ear - you can see that line.

I've already asked for the surgery report. Then I'll be able to use that and the photos to send to a expert in the area. At any rate, I think for you two, the photos are pretty worthless.

My hearing aids didn't interfere with wire-framed or in olden days, plastic frames. This beats all.

Attachments

• IMG_3063.jpg
    IMG_3063.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 14
I would say that looks more like a pocket of infection but hard to tell without feeling it. How long ago were you implanted?

I would say that looks more like a pocket of infection but hard to tell without feeling it. How long ago were you implanted?
HOH-ME (Thanks for looking at the post): If I were in your shoes, I'd say it looks like an infection. It's not. I've worn glasses since 1966 or 67. As a young woman, I switched to contacts. Then had other surgery and wore one contact making me have mono-vision (no glasses and I could see well - it was great). Two years ago, I needed to go back to glasses (vision changed and I could not easily wear contacts). But I didn't wear them until several months ago. This is what happened. It's why ultimately, I need to see if this can be corrected. Between you and BleedingPurist, I have no other choice and you guys are right.

You can't see the "tube-like" thing from the implant running to the back of my ear. I'm complaining a lot on this forum and I'm sorry. So, I owe BleedingPurist an apology. The ENT was fine but he seems to have dumped me after my followup (one) from surgery.

I obviously have to get it corrected. Hence my ultimate search until I get an answer. CI to block some of the tinnitus or being able to see ... I'd rather see and mourn my losses and lose the $100k hearing processing. Being blind would put a crimp on riding my motorcycle. (That's supposed to be a little funny.)

It's a little different from a HA for moi, BleedingPurist. It's bigger and bulkier and I have no space between the lump you can't see (other than the red) and my ear. When I attempted to wear the CI as a BTE, the woman where I get my glasses made bent the arm over the CI and kept it covered in rubbery stuff to lessen the pressure. It was amazing she didn't break it (which is why I'll try to follow her until one of us moves). She's good.

So with your information, I will get an answer from the ENT to find out why he did what he did. I do appreciate your comments.

Sorry you're having this problem. It definitely looks like you have something there that is interfering with wearing your CI. My CI surgeon shaved a small indent and my CI fits behind my ear nicely. I have tiny ears so wearing my CI and glasses sometimes can be just a tiny bit painful. Could yours possible be scar tissue? Whatever it is I hope it's an easy fix for you. Good luck.

Angel1989: I know that since I'm wearing prescription (thin and light) glasses, the redness started. Nope, it's not scar tissue but will be if I don't get this resolved soon. Thanks for your response.

Back