CI durability?

Condor1970

Reaction score
Most here know that my daughter just got her CI surgery last week. Well, the other night, she bumped her head pretty much right where the implant is located, and if course it hurt. She didn't bump her head hard enough to get a lump on her head, but I can't help but wonder how durable these things are. She got the CI24RE with the contour electrode. I asked the nurse about this but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. It just worries me a little, because we haven't even activated the thing yet, so I don't know how well it will even work to begin with.

They don't break that easily, do they?

The internals are very durable. Last time I checked, several years ago Cochlear America's had the lowest rate of internal failures of the 3 manufacturers. Now external processor. The Esprit 3g was very durable. freedom is junk. The controller cases split repeatedly. No experience with N5 Not sure about the new N6
In 2009 I was at the ER and collapsed in the waiting room. Hit my head on concrete floor hard enough to fracture skull (confirmed with CT @ ER) near implant and bleeding for hrs out my earlobe. Didn't damage implant

Most here know that my daughter just got her CI surgery last week. Well, the other night, she bumped her head pretty much right where the implant is located, and if course it hurt. She didn't bump her head hard enough to get a lump on her head, but I can't help but wonder how durable these things are. She got the CI24RE with the contour electrode. I asked the nurse about this but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. It just worries me a little, because we haven't even activated the thing yet, so I don't know how well it will even work to begin with.

They don't break that easily, do they?
Cochlear's site lets you know right up front that it's a really bad idea to take a blow to the head at the implant region.

Luckily there's a ten year warranty. So if it was damaged, they will replace it.

That's right!!! 10 year warranty. I guess I shouldn't be too worried about the implant.

It's her head that doesn't have a 10 year warranty. :shock:

Cochlear's site lets you know right up front that it's a really bad idea to take a blow to the head at the implant region.

It is always a really bad idea to hit the head, but the implant should withstand it.
Someone in our facebook CI group once said that their audiologist told them that generally the implant is more durable than skull :) But I definitely don't want to try it personally ;)

It is always a really bad idea to hit the head, but the implant should withstand it.
Someone in our facebook CI group once said that their audiologist told them that generally the implant is more durable than skull :) But I definitely don't want to try it personally ;)
Yeah I think I proved that myself....

Back