CI appt :)

Just wanted to wish you good luck now!! :D keeping everything crossed for you!

Alice, good luck. i think your case should be approved according to your past history.

Good luck at your appt....Im sure you are just as eligible as I was...my loss just happened faster thats all. I am doing amazingly well as I come up to my one year appt (May). I am talking on the phone almost everyday now with strangers and very infrequently have to ask them to repeat...

Im sure you will be approved...you are the ideal candidate (young, healthy, post-lingually deafened etc...)

well my CI appt is on monday but my audi is thinking I wont qualify because of my fluctuating loss..my loss was all over the place in my ASSR and then my ABR was normal so she was really confused...but we'll see I go monday...

Make sure you've had multiple opinions from different audi's & doctors before considering CI's.

A lady friend of ours had fluctuating hearing loss, and her audi recommended a CI, which turned out to be a big mistake....she had seizures, and other bizarre neurological side effects for two years, then had the CI removed. Problems went away after that.

It has put a strain on our friendship since I was the one who answered all her questions, and she was expecting to see a similar outcome as I did. I've learned the hard way to not talk about it as much....

Wirelessly posted

I know plenty of people with AN get CI and it said it work great for them, one kid I read the blog about have normal hearing on ABR but in booth testing he was profound so he got bilateral CI and loved it

Hopefully it goes well for you. I had my evaluation 1 week ago. Well beyond the acceptable range for CI. Excluding my low frequency, most of my high frequency is below 80-90dB. Got a ct scan coming up. Now its just deciding between AB and cochlear.

Good luck AliciaM. I wish I knew how to post my audiogram. Mine does not move off of the bottom line at all. Has anyone seen one with those results? I am in the process of getting a CI. Just waiting for insurance approval and getting up the nerve to have the surgery. If I go ahead I will be getting Cochlear with the Freedom processor. I think Nucleus5 is still on recall????????

Angel, it's the Nucleus5 internal implant that's on recall. I think you would get the Freedom internal implant with the Nucleus 5 processor, as that's what new Cochlear implantees are getting these days.

I have the MedEl Opus2 and very happy with it the last 3 years . Now I am working on gettng the other ear implanted with the MedEl Opus2 soon !!

AB have way too many recalls and implants are still failing .

Cochlear have the same ole internal parts with a new " shell' and had a recall with their internal implant recently.

So, MedEl still ROCKS off the charts !!!

All 3 implants are MAN-made devices, and any and all man-made devices can and will fail at some point. There's no denying that.

I just got my AB implant turned on yesterday and so far so good. No, I'm not hearing things, it's just beeping/busy signal tone on a phone line sort of sound going on right now, and feeling sensations in my head/ear with different sounds. But, as long as I keep feeding sounds to my left ear with the implant on, hopefully over time it'll get better and start sounding more like the actual sounds instead of beeping.

cdm, congrats! I am so happy you finally got your implant. Just hang in there and keep practicing with the CI.

Just an update I still was not approved cuz ottawa sucks and i've recently taken a break from school because of being overwhelmed and stressed ..ugh..life..

Alicia-my experience at Sunnybrook/Toronto is really different than yours in Ottawa. I was advised on the first appointment I fit the criteria to be implanted-subject to the physicals. That was 5 years ago.
How much my Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto multiple classes played-unknown. The quick referral by ENT-St Michaels/Toronto with my hearing history of almost 40 years-also unknown.
I understand all 3 centres use the same" Ontario criteria"-Implants.

If memory serves me right-Sunnybrook referral-audi-Feb 4/07 with approval of the surgeon on Jun 20/07. Operation was July 12, 2007
I became bilateral DEAF December 20, 2006. Aside- I wasn't retested in 2007 Sunnybrook/Toronto.

Hopefully you can get resolution shortly

Back