CI appt :)

lovezebras

Reaction score
Finally got an appt date for another CI evaluation.
I am really having A LOT of trouble with hearing with my hearing aids on and being able to understand. I can "hear" I guess but it's noise and I can't understand what is going on anymore. I am particularly having a lot of trouble with school and auscultating. I am missing pulses and BPs because I can't hear them which is a problem and is sort of holding me back in my nursing program. I was put on a learning contract because I couldn't do BP's in the start of the summer. I ended up passing because I did SO many BP's to show that I could do some just that some people it's REALLY hard to hear their pulse if it's low. Amplifying and turning up my hearing aid more is just making my comprehension worse and I have recruitment now also which makes me wanna hide in my closet lol

I really hope no one makes any rude comments because this is MY decision and I believe this would best suit my situation.

If hearing aids don't offer enough speech perception , CIs are way to go. Good luck on that.

Can you post your audiogram data here ?

http://www.alldeaf.com/1639081-post31.html

that was an audiogram from a whileee ago but it's pretty similar but 250 freq is at around 70 or 80 I believe but the audiogram is pretty similar and that was confirmed by an ASSR that I had last week. My word scores tho I would imagine are a lot lower tho..I didn't have to do anything for the ASSR so I don't know what my current speech scores would be at..but I've been having a lot of trouble with recruitment and sounds hurting my ears ...so turning my HA up doesn't help...

I am not an expert but I have some experience. You seem borderline where someone could wear hearing aids or not. Have you tried playing soundrecover settings ? Different soundrecover settings in different memories in your hearing aids could help. Soundrecover is helpful but when it is set wrong it ruins sound quality and perception.

I sure do hope so...it's very hard to get approved here in canada and my CI centre isn't the greatest..but we shall see:)

Wirelessly posted

good luck! so if you're still going with cochlear is freedom instead of N5 ok with you? I'll never go with advanced bionics and my next choice would be med-el lol. btw whats the dateof CI eval?

I still want to go with Cochlear and my appt is March 19th at 1030 ..a bit awhile away but thats the earliest because apparently they are really busy..If i'm approved I get put on a waiting list..they don't do approval and then the CI a month or a few weeks later..doesn't work like that here unfortunately..So by the time I would get surgery the N5 will prob be back off of recall

Wirelessly posted

yeah that is while away to go, true about N5 going off the recall list by then. Remember to request speech with noise test

Good Luck with the CI Evaluation. I hope it works out this time but if it doesn't , keep trying. Whatever you do get the CI away it from the dogs!!! My dog is ok but one of these days my cockatiel is going to chomp the cable.

Good luck! Don't think you will see rude comments because you adult, decide for yourself! What make you happy is good :) Hope this work for you.

AliciaM: Good luck in Ottawa and hope the process is successful for you as it was for me way back in 2007.
As I have mentioned before I became Bilateral DEAF on December 20, 2006. I got referred to Sunnybrook/Toronto-at my request- in early January-St Michael's ENT clinic. First appointment-audi-Amy Ng on Feb 4/07. Next Jun 4/07 -various tests with final appointment-Dr Chen June 20/07 approved operation- which happened July 12/07.

I understand OHIP has changed the "rules" somewhat re Cochlear Implants-wait time"decreased".

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

AliciaM: Good luck in Ottawa and hope the process is successful for you as it was for me way back in 2007.
As I have mentioned before I became Bilateral DEAF on December 20, 2006. I got referred to Sunnybrook/Toronto-at my request- in early January-St Michael's ENT clinic. First appointment-audi-Amy Ng on Feb 4/07. Next Jun 4/07 -various tests with final appointment-Dr Chen June 20/07 approved operation- which happened July 12/07.

I understand OHIP has changed the "rules" somewhat re Cochlear Implants-wait time"decreased".

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

looks like you will get it.
I think you will not have any problem with hearing afterwards, becasue you have been hearing most of your life, so it will be like hearing again as soon as you get the CI.

Back