CI and Skydiving?

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
Hi,
I read somewhere that people with CI are not supposed to go skydiving? Anyone care to explain why?
Thanks,
*EQL*

Well. I can't answer your question. The CI user can wear CI during airplane. I think it's not affect. I haven't ride on airplane with my CI yet. The member will answer your question. Airplane and skydiving are same height.

yaaa but skydiving you are jumping OUT of the plane lol and a plane ride you are in it...not sure how the air pressure when you dive would affect it ...but as long as you have a helmet i'd think you'd maybe be ok? But i think it's because of the internals the pressure could move it or something...but i'm not positive

Well. I can't answer your question. The CI user can wear CI during airplane. I think it's not affect. I haven't ride on airplane with my CI yet. The member will answer your question. Airplane and skydiving are same height.

Airplane and Skydiving at not at same height. Commercial planes typically flies at 36,000 feet. Skydiving is typically at around 3,000 to 15,000 (for more advanced skydiver) feet.

3,000 to 5,000 feet are common height for most skydivers. I've done it 3x. CI users will be fine.

yaaa but skydiving you are jumping OUT of the plane lol and a plane ride you are in it...not sure how the air pressure when you dive would affect it ...but as long as you have a helmet i'd think you'd maybe be ok? But i think it's because of the internals the pressure could move it or something...but i'm not positive

helmet is not needed but if you need one - bring your own. Most places do not provide helmets unless some states require it.

that's weird cuz at the amusement parks it warns on some rides that people with CI, pacemaker, etc cannot go on it?

that's weird cuz at the amusement parks it warns on some rides that people with CI, pacemaker, etc cannot go on it?

are you sure it said CI? People with pacemaker are not allowed on it because well... it will definitely cause heart attack! :lol:

Beside - it depends on each place for liability reason.

positive it said CI maybe just cuz of external possibility of falling off?

I can think of no good reason for jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

Might want to revisit the skydiving restriction. There is significant air pressure differences from 3,000 to 10,000 to 15,000 feet as anybody can tell when driving in and out of mountainous terrains. I've drove often in my line of work from 4,000 to 11,000 feet and there is significant changes in air pressure and is more pronounced if you have a cold, too. Skydiving you rapidly fall through and will experience rapid air pressure changes as opposed to slow changes, sometimes not even noticed, from driving 4,000 feet to say, 4,000 feet to 9,000 feet.

Myth: Implant users cannot swim, shower, or participate in sports.

Fact: When NOT wearing the external equipment, users can swim, shower, and participate in any number of water activities. The only restriction placed on implant users relates to skydiving and scuba diving as the significant air-pressure changes encountered in these activities is not advisable. Participation in all other athletic pursuits is unrestricted though protective head gear is always wise.
UCSF - Cochlear Implant

I'd say seek this question from a *qualified* person on CI since this is an expensive equipment you're dealing with.

Airplane and Skydiving at not at same height. Commercial planes typically flies at 36,000 feet. Skydiving is typically at around 3,000 to 15,000 (for more advanced skydiver) feet.

3,000 to 5,000 feet are common height for most skydivers. I've done it 3x. CI users will be fine.

Then Airplane is height than skydiving. Jet is height than Airplane. That is good idea for CI user to wear helmet to protect the head.

Lissa said she had ride on the roller coast with CI on. But she took it off during roller coaster. My husband have an invent for foam on head during ride on the roller coast. This is for CI and HA. I told him contact to any Theme park companies.

Might want to revisit the skydiving restriction. There is significant air pressure differences from 3,000 to 10,000 to 15,000 feet as anybody can tell when driving in and out of mountainous terrains. I've drove often in my line of work from 4,000 to 11,000 feet and there is significant changes in air pressure and is more pronounced if you have a cold, too. Skydiving you rapidly fall through and will experience rapid air pressure changes as opposed to slow changes, sometimes not even noticed, from driving 4,000 feet to say, 4,000 feet to 9,000 feet.

UCSF - Cochlear Implant

I'd say seek this question from a *qualified* person on CI since this is an expensive equipment you're dealing with.

That is right. I remember Daredevil's comment on my thread about scurba diving can go underwear in 99 feet limited. If it's 100 feet over and will be concern. One month after I received my CI turn it on. I took CI off during swim in the pool last Aug. It's not affect at all. Any CI user can go swim in the pool with any feet. Make sure get CI off before go dive in the water. The anti-CI people thought CI can't go swim cause sunk in head with hole. That is not true!

Yes that's right Pinky, I've ridden rollercoasters with CI, but that is not the same as sky diving. I think sky diving would be okay as long you remove the external processor. I'm sure you cannot go deeper than 15 feet whilst scuba diving because of the pressure?

Ya, i'm guessing its a pressure thing. Weird. I don't have a CI, but i read this and I was curious why.
Thanks all!
*EQL*

I have recently found this forum and it has been great. I was just trying to research this very issue. I started skydiving last May and made 40 jumps before I lost my hearing to meningitis. Next Thursday is the surgery for my implant. I have read posts on-line saying you can skydive without the external unit and some saying you cannot at all. I will ask the surgeon on Tuesday, maybe he can give some more insight.

because it's fun... and most of the planes used skydiving are not all that perfectly good :giggle:

yup! these planes are.... SHODDY! My plane was held together by duct tape and had a car GPS for navigation :lol:

Back