CI and long/thick hair - shave around magnet?

neecy

Reaction score
I have very thick hair - when I had my CI implanted, I opted for a short pixie style to make things easier.

I tried growing my hair longer, but discovered the magnet wouldn't stick (I use a #2 magnet) and when I went up to a #3, the attachment spot got sore - my audiologist said that I was very sensitive to the stronger magnet, and to go back to the #2, so I cut my hair back to its usual pixie.

I'm wondering - is there anybody here who has long hair and keeps the spot around the magnet shaved or cut very short so that attachment is easy? I'd really like to grow my hair out again, after 10 years of a pixie, I'm ready for a change.

I have very thick hair - when I had my CI implanted, I opted for a short pixie style to make things easier.

I tried growing my hair longer, but discovered the magnet wouldn't stick (I use a #2 magnet) and when I went up to a #3, the attachment spot got sore - my audiologist said that I was very sensitive to the stronger magnet, and to go back to the #2, so I cut my hair back to its usual pixie.

I'm wondering - is there anybody here who has long hair and keeps the spot around the magnet shaved or cut very short so that attachment is easy? I'd really like to grow my hair out again, after 10 years of a pixie, I'm ready for a change.

I know some guys do it and it works well (they have thick skin). With long hair the bald spot shouldn't be noticeable

Love the photo. Mice are close enough to one of my favorite pets - rats :) . Some things I've learned:
1. My hair is long and thick and god knows I need a hair cut but that will come later when it begins to warm up.
2. With my first magnet, I automatically put both hands by my ears thinking the magnet was going to drop - the winds were gusty enough. Sure enough, the magnet fell into my hand. Went back to the audiologist and had the magnets increased.
2a. The stronger magnets caused my head to become sore pretty quickly and couldn't remain this way even though I felt safer.
Thus far, we've had the same experience.
3. I suggested shaving a small portion of my head BUT the audiologist said the short hairs would cause more of a problem for the magnet, so that wasn't a solution. I would imagine that's kind of what a pixie cut would do.

My hair is thick and I just have to keep pushing my hair up and away then I put on the magnet and it holds.

Sometimes the processor behind my hear would fall off (the implant is thick and I have a lump on my head) and it almost seemed like it was hitting the magnet, so I got a 12" cable and had my partner hold back my hair on the other side of my head and I put the processor there and left the magnet alone. This stopped all problems pronto. I can also put the processor in a plastic clip and leave it under my shirt to wear it. People would likely say it interferes with the sound but it doesn't and it doesn't hit or pull on the magnet. This works well, too.

My goal: pull back my endless hair with some help sometimes and keep the processor and magnet separate.

I am not a CI user. But If it were me, i would go for long hair but under where the magnet was, and it would be crew. It is like half long hair on the right and the other side of hair is crew or pixie, will it be working for you? if you are good at styling hair then why not.

i couldnt find a better picture but similiar like this but you can pick the area to be crew or pixie.

lourdes-leon-and-woman-half-shaved-head-gallery.jpg

I have thick hair too. I just move as much hair away from the magnet site, stick the headpiece on, and that usually works for me.

I have thick hair too. I just move as much hair away from the magnet site, stick the headpiece on, and that usually works for me.

I've tried that but it simply won't stay "stuck" if my hair grows more than a couple inches, its just too thick.

I guess I'll try cutting it very short around the magnet and see if that works, if it doesn't I'll simply keep it in its usual pixie style.

I think where the magnet is located is different for some CI users. Mine is really close to the back of my ear, not high up. I wear my hair long and it is pretty thick. Like some others have said, I lift my hair up, place the magnet then drop my hair. So far I have not had any problems.

This is a preemptive question for when I have my implant and processor (I have surgery in 1.5 weeks and activation 3 weeks after that).
I've had to wear my hair in a ponytail for the past 5 years because my hearing aids are so high gain that having my hair over the mics causes feedback.
When I have my CI, should I put my hair up first and then put on the processor or put the magnet on and then put my hair up?

I have very straight hair but it is very thick. Whenever I go to a new hair stylist they spend most of the time remarking about how much hair I have despite having very straight hair.

(Thickness=density=hairs/sq cm)

My friend has had to move to a stronger magnet as her magnet won't stick altho she's moved all her hair out the way.

Magnet 1 is to weak, Magnet 2 is too strong so she got a spacer for her N5 and now it's like she has a 1.5 strength magnet and she has no trouble what so ever.

I like having enough magnets that the processor can just hang from my ear by the magnet alone. Makes losing the Harmony a lot harder and wearing the Neptune a bit easier. In addition it makes the headpiece less likely to slip off or lose sync through the various bumps, nudges and jolts one receives every day.

The only drawbacks are your implant headpiece area can become sore if there's too much pressure and the more magnetic your headpiece is, the more likely it will spontaneously transition to nearby metal frames.

so true! I add on an extra magnet when my hair is longer and find the headpiece will fly off onto the car door, the washing machine, the sink, etc

I like having enough magnets that the processor can just hang from my ear by the magnet alone. Makes losing the Harmony a lot harder and wearing the Neptune a bit easier. In addition it makes the headpiece less likely to slip off or lose sync through the various bumps, nudges and jolts one receives every day.

The only drawbacks are your implant headpiece area can become sore if there's too much pressure and the more magnetic your headpiece is, the more likely it will spontaneously transition to nearby metal frames.

I suggest getting your hair thinned. I know that if I just let my hair grow it is EXTREMELY thick, so I get it thinned all the time. Maybe that will help you. Of course I don't know if you're male or female, but if you're a female like myself, getting your hair thinned helps! Also, if you have to keep it shorter on top of the magnet and have longer hair *Me* You can't see the spot. :) Hopefully you can figure this out, I know if mine fell off all day I'd be pretty irritated. :mad:

I suggest getting your hair thinned. I know that if I just let my hair grow it is EXTREMELY thick, so I get it thinned all the time. Maybe that will help you. Of course I don't know if you're male or female, but if you're a female like myself, getting your hair thinned helps! Also, if you have to keep it shorter on top of the magnet and have longer hair *Me* You can't see the spot. :) Hopefully you can figure this out, I know if mine fell off all day I'd be pretty irritated. :mad:[/QUOTE

i was also going to suggest getting your hair thinned out at your local hairdresser frequently with extra thinning close to roots around your ci. that way hair is long and no shaved spots but shouldnt be thick at all in that spot. good luck

If you have problem with coil magnet. You can replace the strong magnet. It depend on your CI brand. I has N5 and my magnet size is 2 because my hair is thin and long hair. I had a CI surgery and my CI surgeon shaved a little thin behind my ear. I have never problem with magnet. Everyone are different individual on hairs size.

You may be surprised but I am on magnet #5, yeah.. my hair is pretty much very thick and it is long for a guy... I just shove it under my hair, to and let the hair cover my CI nicely (Mind you if I had short hair, I wouldn't care if I expose it, but it is the comfortability of where it is sitting at the moment)

Forgive me for the redundancy. I posted this somewhere on this site in response to a different thread but wanted to answer this one directly. I have the kanso 2 and it was falling off several times an hour until I tried this:

I part my hair (up vs down instead of right vs left) right at the upper margin of the processor anchoring site.

I then apply the processor to my head, pull one layer of hair over the processor and clip it tight to the hair beneath the processor to create a little pocket for the processor that applies pressure to keep the magnet engaged. I also clip the tethering cord in with the hair. I then let the remaining layers of hair loose and the processor is no longer affected by the weight of the loose hair because it has been locked into place with the clipped hair.

Back