CI and HA user how do you train your brain

I don't have AVT for this reason. I'm told that insurance in NC won't pay for it. So I'm trying to figure out a way to improve my listening skills.

I find that to border on unethical. Just as I would consider it to be unethical to fit an amputee with a prosthesis, and not offer physical therapy to assist the patient in learning to use that prosthesis. That is not a statement regarding the CI user, but on the insurance companies and the medical community's resposnibility to the CI patients they implant.

Even CI users admit that the CI is not the end of the story. It would appear, however, that the medical community and the insurance companies are treating it as just that. Perhaps that is one of the main reasons why we are still seeing the difficulties in the language development of CI implanted children. The only issue that is being addressed is sound perception.

..., how can you hear music with cochlear?!

Nothing to it, just listen. :D

Actually, one can listen with a cochlear device to just about any kind of music and enjoy it. It is when the music is very complicated that the device has some trouble with true fidelity. In other words, the device can only do so much before it gets a little bogged down trying to reproduce all the sounds out there. What is complicated music? Think of a full orchestra with a large choir all going at it. There are so many different sounds going on that it would take a more power computer to handle it better. Sure makes me appreciate how natural hearing handles all that.

Back