CI and extreme noises ?

cjg

Reaction score
I am curious as to what the thoughts are regarding CI and extremely loud noises. Guns in particular.

While I know that the CI itself will not stimulate above the set comfort level. Could the microphones become damaged by the loud shockwave from EXTREME noises such as a gunshot ?

Also , what about the electrode placement , could that be affected by the shockwave / sound ?

Thanks

I am curious as to what the thoughts are regarding CI and extremely loud noises. Guns in particular.

While I know that the CI itself will not stimulate above the set comfort level. Could the microphones become damaged by the loud shockwave from EXTREME noises such as a gunshot ?

Also , what about the electrode placement , could that be affected by the shockwave / sound ?

Thanks

I can't answer all those questions, but from my own experience loud noises cause my tinnitus to get worse.

When I was fully hearing a loud sharp noise would of course cause a loud ringing. This I'm sure is usual for all.

Since my implants my tinnitus is much worse. It is caused by noisy environments rather than loud sharp noises, after exercise, after alcohol sometimes, and after traveling long distance by car especially.

The above comment: Your Implant is picking up all sounds which in the past you didn't "hear" with your Hearing aids.
Perhaps a discussion with your "audi"/doctor may be of some assistance to you-now

I actually just discussed this with my audi. the other day.

The end result of the conversation was that its unlikely that the external processor would be damaged by the noise of shooting , but that ear plugs would be advised anyway. As it could induce other damage.

I actually just discussed this with my audi. the other day.

The end result of the conversation was that its unlikely that the external processor would be damaged by the noise of shooting , but that ear plugs would be advised anyway. As it could induce other damage.

Correct. All the CI does is translate noise into electricity, and the amount of electricity is controlled by the programming.

The real damage comes from the concussion from the gunshot, which can damage your inner ear parts.

I think that would be something you would have to ask an audiologist or a CI doctor when talking to them about cochlear implants.

I suggest you make a list of all questions you can think of.

Make a few lists...

- A PRO list of things you think will be beneficial for you.

- A CON list of things you think could be a problem for you.

- A RUMOR list of things you heard other people say that you aren't so sure about. (This could be where the gun question you're asking about could go.)

As you make the list, review the list over and over. That will help you think of other things to add to the list.

Now, you can ask an expert... who knows, some things you thought were PRO could be false and some things you're worried about from CON could actually not be a problem, then the RUMORs could be nothing.

Back