Chilean miners found alive – but rescue will take four months

The third miner has come up, the capsule has gone down for the 4th miner. I am watching from CNN on the TV.

I just wonder if these sort of rescue shafts can be incorporated into mines as a sort of escape hatch or would these shafts compromise the structure of the mine?

I also heard the mine where these miners are trapped has been mined for about 130 years and has been horribly over-mined and there is structural problems within the mine in which walls and ceilings can collapse at any moment. That's a scary thought. I hope the Chilean government sees this and moves to have the mine shut down permanently and sealed off for good.

The third miner has come up, the capsule has gone down for the 4th miner. I am watching from CNN on the TV.

I just wonder if these sort of rescue shafts can be incorporated into mines as a sort of escape hatch or would these shafts compromise the structure of the mine?
impossible. if the mine collapses, so will the emergency tunnel. What they will do is implement emergency cocoons. Recall Virginia mine collapse?

I also heard the mine where these miners are trapped has been mined for about 130 years and has been horribly over-mined and there is structural problems within the mine in which walls and ceilings can collapse at any moment. That's a scary thought. I hope the Chilean government sees this and moves to have the mine shut down permanently and sealed off for good.
shut down permanently? I think that's bad idea that would mean hundreds, if not thousands, of people out of jobs. They just gotta make it safer to work again.

Last time I saw on tv, they already pulled 3 miners then I went to bed. This am I watched 12th miner pulled out. I pray rest of them will come out no problem for next 22 or so hours. ;) Time for me to go to work and wonder how many will be out by the time I get home later today.

My guess is that every single one of them will stay up until sunrise. Well done rescue team!

Number 17 was just rescued.

He is a father, grandfather, and great-grandfather.

This was his third time being trapped in a cave in!

Time to retire, eh?

Two miners were in cart and they saw a butterfly in the cave and stopped to look at the butterfly as this does not happen a lot. The mine crash right after the men stopped to look at butterfly and this save their lives! They just miss getting hit with the cavein of the mine!

The Chilean government did say they would shut the mine until the safty issues are taken care of. I think I heard one miner is almost finish paying of his house and he could lose it if he does not get paid.

Hip hip Horray! All are OK! I wonder how long they have to wear the sunglasses? I know they haven't see sight light for about 70 days! :shock: Other than that I am glad they are OK.

I watched the final rescue worker leave the mine and I am glad the rescue operation went smoothly with no major hiccups and more importantly that there were no fatalities or major injuries.

:cheers: All job well done to the rescuers! :cool2: Have been watching it live on the internet here and there.

Steve Jobs gives gifts of new iPod Touch to all 33 miners. That s nice!

sad that I didn't watch it but glad they all made it. someone told me that guy got out of the mine and came to the mistress and kiss her, not his wife. I wonder if anyone knows about it? if so, then wheres the youtube?

Wow, saw it last night. I can't imagine, it take them over 2 months to completed drill and pick up by time and time. That's great for them whom don't give up and bring every mens out of underground.

now the mining companies will be "required" to have the safety cocoon devices.

sad that I didn't watch it but glad they all made it. someone told me that guy got out of the mine and came to the mistress and kiss her, not his wife. I wonder if anyone knows about it? if so, then wheres the youtube?

THe woman told her husband he had to pick one woman her or his mistress!
The wife was not at the mine when her husband got out . I read a few miners had mistress and one miner had 4 women fighting over him!

Back