Children to go in foster care because I'm deaf

xpeacex

Reaction score
Hi all, I am in a state of shock, sadness and mixture other emotions at moment.
I feel great need to share with fellow deaf people. My ex was arrested and been convicted for attacking me whilst I held our at the time 10 month old daughter while ago, I have a toddler son too. Been no contact with ex since his arrest, he was was not letting me go still ringing and texting me back then too. Fast forward and recently its family court proceedings. And wham he said the children should be in foster care cos am deaf.
Like wow I still cannot believe it, he clearly hates my being. It hurts not gonna lie it does, for the guy lived with and at birth of my son and daughter....yeah it hurts and he knew it would upset me like this for sure.
I was born partially deaf, it 's runs on my mother's side.

I have not posted on here I don't think but seriously had to do this. This hurts.

I hope your all well.
x

Forgot to add the court said they do not take children from mothers for being deaf. The fact he wants kids taken from me cos am deaf is disturbing, he even rang social services saying to remove kids cos of deafness and he making up allsorts.

He is nasty nasty and this hurts on deep level.

Sorry to hear you are having to deal with this. I can imagine how much it would hurt for someone to try to use the fact you are deaf like this.

Hope things get better for you.

Get a restraining order from the courts, hit him with discrimination ( because that's illegal ) ask the court fo full custody and move on with the kid because apparently he doesn't look at the best interests of the children at all wanting to throw them into foster care or taken away.

This happens a lot, perhaps more than we know....It's possible he just don't want to pay Child Support?...all in all, and sadly, there are many people, even judges and social workers who would agree with him...

It's common. Get a lawyer immidiately. Don't wait too long. File a restraining order. I have a friend who is blind-deaf. Her hearing ex husband abused her and their son. She fought for sole custody and her ex husband was forced to give up his full rights to the son because the son suffered emotional trauma and PTSD.

You have to document everything what your husband did. It may be too personal, but it is the only way to protect yourself and kids.

I have heard many stories like this and have a friend who were in similar situation as this and lost all their kids to foster families as they can't afford lawyer. Like others said above, get a lawyer to fight your case to get your kids back.

Thank you so much for the replies, big help. Thank you. I will respond properly soon, so sad and upset by this. Shocking.

Don't know what to say, very bad, thought, check with battered women's shelter for contacts, I like the though sue on discrimination, thoughts and prayers

He is living in a shithole right now, jealous, and does not want to see you to have a happy life. Do not fall into him, fight, have your child in a full custody with you, and move far away from him, 500+ miles is even better.

Hi all, I have a solicitor and got a restraining order on ex thankfully. I was told by judge they won't take kids from me cos of deafness, still worries me though.
Not great because judge ordered me to do a cognitive assessment when they found out I'm deaf so this is stressing me out. Is this discrimination? They say its about my ability to understand court proceedings, I have domestic abuse support worker who writes down what I don't hear and understand what has been going on.
I feel insulted about it to be honest, like why a cognitive assessment?

Gonna go for residence (full custody) which my solicitor was hopeful about when first ever met her.

Good luck, again prayers and good wishes, but children do need a father hope he will man up to the man he needs to be:(

Best of luck to you. To my knowledge, deafness is not grounds for removing children so please don't worry so much about it. I don't think you are at a point where you need to spend money on a lawyer unless child services are actually trying to take your kids from you. Again, they must have legal grounds and deafness is not one of them.

Hi all, I have a solicitor and got a restraining order on ex thankfully. I was told by judge they won't take kids from me cos of deafness, still worries me though.
Not great because judge ordered me to do a cognitive assessment when they found out I'm deaf so this is stressing me out. Is this discrimination? They say its about my ability to understand court proceedings, I have domestic abuse support worker who writes down what I don't hear and understand what has been going on.
I feel insulted about it to be honest, like why a cognitive assessment?

Yes, it is totally unfair, but I am certain you will pass it with flying colors. My deaf-blind friend had to go through the same routine, too, but she passed cognitive assessment. Don't be afraid. You can show everyone you love your kids. You can do it. Her ex tried to convince everyone she cannot take care of herself due to disability. He lost. She won. Her son has lots of issues like SPD, ADHD, PTSD, and autism. She had to prove that she loves him. She is lucky because there is plenty of evidence her son was abused by his father. The son is scared of his own father. Be strong and be around people who support you. Very important to document everything. If you meet the father alone in the future, always record the conversation no matter what like a small talk. You're doing it right because you filed a restraining order on your ex. Hang on!

Back