childcare cost

After we moved to Missouri (kids were 2 years and 10 months), I did work a first shift and hubby went to second shift. Mother was at home during the overlap time from her part time job.

Shortly after, I decided to home school and was financially able to quit work, then we ran into problems and I had to go back to work a=then left to stay home again. Such a round robin.

I tried hard to stay with them as my daughter has a lot of problems.

Did anyone work a different shift from their spouse/partner to minimize childcare expenses?

I appreciate everyone's response so far! Thanks!

With my daughter, I was a part time student so I was able to take care of her 5 days out of 7 days a week. I just went to school 2 times a week. After the semester was over, I stayed home with her over the summer and then in Fall semester, it was my student teaching internship so I had to "work" 40 hours a week.

With my son, my hubby and I both had full time jobs during the day. Couldnt change our hours.

I am still paying for his daycare costs...about 3 more years to go before he is allowed to walk to and from school. Hurry!

I have been paying for childcare costs for about 10 years now. That's why no more babies for me. Too $$$$$$$!

Did anyone work a different shift from their spouse/partner to minimize childcare expenses?

Not exactly. I tend to work from 6:30-3. He works 9-whenever he can get away.

So, I can be home in time for school dismissal & son wouldn't have to go to afterschool program. DH could drop him off at playground time before school (30 min before bell) instead of before school program.

It usually doesn't work out that way, due to appointments, DH court schedule, etc, but we could avoid care expenses now.

We pay the full price for 5 day/week program to have it in place, as our requirements differ day to day.

I work 3 12 hour shifts. My husband works 7 days a week some times 6. His shifts are only 6-8 hours however. I have my days set to go wednesday thursday and friday then the next four off. We usually only have to have a sitter two of those days because my husband can usually get his day off to be one of those... when my children were in day care, however, we had to pay 500 a month for them. It was terrible. We were lucky enough that my dad moved here when he retired and he watches my children with the stipulation that we provide all of the food and clothing and diapers etc.

Agree with the rest planning is the best thing possible. We were never planning on having 4 kids but here we are and it works now only after tons of planning lol.

Planning really is the best thing you can do!
Here in Germany you can stay at home for three years if you want to. The first year the state pays you 67% of your most recent income. If you have never worked at all you get 350$ a month. The second year you get around 150-200$.Besides that you get 200$ a month for every child. For the second and third even a little more. The state pays from birth until up to 18 or until your children have finished college.
We have two daycare systems, one for the little ones under age three and then from three years up to first grade. It costs quite a lot, but if you have a job and can't afford it the state pays for you (or at least part of it) It is quite difficult to find a place for your child, but for us as deaf parents it is easy. They have to take our kids, and we don't have to pay. The law makes sure that way, that CODAs learn to speak. With deaf kids you get a place, too. Normally daycare charges around 300-500 a month. We only have to pay for lunch and those extra things. Nevertheless it is not that easy to find a place which is open at those times you need. Some close at early afternoon, etc.
I would love to have someone out of my family taking care of our girl, but everybody has to work. I'm just staying at home right now for the second year and honestly, I absolutely enjoy it!

I don't blame you I would love to stay home with the babies! I wish I could go back to work when they are in school but there is just no way possible with diapers and baby formula and all that. It adds up with 4 munchkins hehe.

I appreciate everyone's response so far! Thanks!

We did that to a large degree. I had only 3 weeks of maternity leave ( and my employer was listed as one of the top 3 places to work for mothers!) and my husband had 3 months, but was required to take them immediately. So I was immediately back at work taking no days off to save up every possible vacation/ sick day until his 3 months were up, then I used saved vacation time until he, as a teacher, had summer off, after which we used child care during hours we overlapped work, but alternated a bit . I would spend time with the little one in the morning and go in to work after, while he went in really early and split his day, picking up the little one at 3 and leaving to work nights when I got home at 7 or so. I missed him! Definitely not ideal, I'd much rather have been able to be home with the little one as we'd planned, but once her deafness was diagnosed, we knew we had to stay in our too-expensive house / state so we could provide our child with the unique and wonderful educational environment available, so the job was a necessity.

Planning really is the best thing you can do!
Here in Germany you can stay at home for three years if you want to. The first year the state pays you 67% of your most recent income. If you have never worked at all you get 350$ a month. The second year you get around 150-200$.Besides that you get 200$ a month for every child. For the second and third even a little more. The state pays from birth until up to 18 or until your children have finished college.
We have two daycare systems, one for the little ones under age three and then from three years up to first grade. It costs quite a lot, but if you have a job and can't afford it the state pays for you (or at least part of it) It is quite difficult to find a place for your child, but for us as deaf parents it is easy. They have to take our kids, and we don't have to pay. The law makes sure that way, that CODAs learn to speak. With deaf kids you get a place, too. Normally daycare charges around 300-500 a month. We only have to pay for lunch and those extra things. Nevertheless it is not that easy to find a place which is open at those times you need. Some close at early afternoon, etc.
I would love to have someone out of my family taking care of our girl, but everybody has to work. I'm just staying at home right now for the second year and honestly, I absolutely enjoy it!

Omg, I'm so jealous.

I think we can't complain but compared to other european countries it still sucks.

But please, feel free to move! :D

medicaid child care

does medicaid cover any child assistnace or child care expenses?

Back