Child custody battle with hearing husband

Octolove

Reaction score
Im get divorce and i worry my hearing husband will win full custody of our two children. My children are young 7 and 4 , they do not do ASL good. It is hard for.me.to.communicate with them. Has anyone else been i same situation,.will i lose my child because i am.deaf?

Octolove, it might help if we know which State you live in....

Yes of course i have a lawyer. I live in georgia. My question is more of, does anyone here have same problem and what was result? Anyone go thru this?

I have been there, my ex relinquished custody rights to me for the same reasons I filed for a divorce. So what do you want out of the custody hearing? Seriously, your deafness should not be a factor in this case, your ability to support and raise your children is. But my case was held in Louisiana, talk to your lawyer regarding what options you have based on what agreements or claims for physical and legal custody that are made. Regardless what your goals are, it’s important to be prepared especially with documentation, be it detailed financial assets and liabililities, annotated visitation arrangements, police reports if any, child support arrangements, etc. This won’t be easy, ok? It was a very emotional and yes, even embarrassing time when personal notions are discussed. But never let your deafness be a factor for custody consideration.

I want joint custody or full custody because my husband need s to move for work. Having joint custody is hard if we.live.in different states. I dont want to move because I have friends here. I have no money, no financial assets other than a car. I have never really had a job until now but pay is really low, I can not afford to pay rent for a home large enough for myself and two children unless my husband sends money.

Sounds really complicated...If you and your husband own the house. Judge might say to sell it and get1/2 the proceeds....If not, the Judge might require Alimony from the husband...but all depends if he makes a good salary at his job....If it were me and I were in your shoes?...I would choose joint custody, find a better job to be able to have the kids with you at least 1/2 the time, and be able to have a place for the kids whenever they come to you....Depending upon child support or even alimony?...Not a good choice as it's not 100% sure every month...All in all, it's up to the Judge to decide if the Kids would be better off with you or the husband....As for the reason you no wanting to move because you have friends where you are?....I would choose my kids before my friends....Just saying here....

Did your lawyer explain to you regarding alimony and child support? You will need to have a plan what to do with your kids. The court wants to hear that. You will be dealing with your husband through your lawyer until the kids turn 18 years old. It will be a long difficult, and stressful road. Believe me. You will also have to document EVERYTHING what your husband do, how he treats you and your kids. The court want personal details. You will have to record the conversation between you and your husband from now. It will come in handy, believe me. If you want to fight for your kids, you will have to make sacrifices, too. When you get custody of your kids and your place of your own, do not give your husband a copy of key. Its been reported some exes use keys to take a few things like TV to sell it. A sister in law of mine's friend in police force recommends it.

Last edited:
Sounds really complicated...If you and your husband own the house. Judge might say to sell it and get1/2 the proceeds....If not, the Judge might require Alimony from the husband...but all depends if he makes a good salary at his job....If it were me and I were in your shoes?...I would choose joint custody, find a better job to be able to have the kids with you at least 1/2 the time, and be able to have a place for the kids whenever they come to you....Depending upon child support or even alimony?...Not a good choice as it's not 100% sure every month...All in all, it's up to the Judge to decide if the Kids would be better off with you or the husband....As for the reason you no wanting to move because you have friends where you are?....I would choose my kids before my friends....Just saying here....

The court probably would award the father the custody if the judge hears the mother saying "I don't want to move because I have friends." The kids has to be a FIRST priority, not friends. One can always make new friends.

What about my kids? I can not commuicate with them good but i love them.soo much.

What about my kids? I can not commuicate with them good but i love them.soo much.

From your previous post, you don't want to move because you have friends where you live... Where is your husband moving to?

Communicate with your kids. make ASL games with them. Teach them. Don't spend too much with your friends or you can ask them to help you teach kids ASL- make it fun. We are more than just parents. We also are teachers.

I heard a strange story about hearing husband upset about his son born deaf. He forced him to put a cochlear implant on his son. but, his deaf wife argued him and refused. and later, He file divorce then, Judge denied it. Judge favored deaf wife because, it's her deaf gene born family as like her mother is deaf, her sister is deaf and her son is deaf, too. When her son grow up to become an adult to marry someone then, born deaf child in future.

She won divorce case and walked away from court. She cheered up. No child custody on her

Last edited:
Im get divorce and i worry my hearing husband will win full custody of our two children. My children are young 7 and 4 , they do not do ASL good. It is hard for.me.to.communicate with them. Has anyone else been i same situation,.will i lose my child because i am.deaf?

Octolove, This may be weird but I have to ask you a few questions.

Do you like to play video game called Candy Crush?

How long have you and your husband been married? 11 years, right?

Did your husband have any medical issue like a spine surgery?

Back