ChicagoBlue...Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
Body found inside West Rogers Park home day after fire

Firefighters battled a blaze in the 1900 block of West Devon Avenue early Sunday morning. (Quinn Ford / Chicago Tribune)

A man was found dead inside a building that burned early Sunday in Chicago's West Rogers Park neighborhood that left at least one other man critically hurt, officials said Monday night.

The victim, a male whose name was not immediately known, was dead on the scene, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. The body will be examined Tuesday. The Chicago Fire Department also said the victim is a man.

About 3:25 a.m. Sunday, firefighters were called to the 1900 block of West Devon Avenue on the Far North Side after a fire broke out in a 2½-story residence on the block, said Fire Chief Joe Roccasalva at the time.

At least one man, who was in his 60s, was taken in serious-to-critical condition to Presence St. Francis Hospital in Evanston after Chicago police officers rescued him from the building, according to police and fire officials.

Soon after crews arrived, the fire was raised to a still and box alarm, and firefighters took a defensive position after flames broke through the building's roof.

The fire was struck out just before 6:15 a.m., Roccasalva said. Crews remained to deal with hot spots.

Other people inside the building when the fire started were evacuated, Roccasalva said.

Rogers Park District police said Monday night that the buidling is considered a crime scene and the police Bomb and Arson Unit and the Fire Department's office of investigation is looking into its cause.

It's incredibly sad. I really liked Mark and enjoyed the perspectives of Chicago that his photos showed.

He was a young man with lots of problems, but he worked really hard to fit in and improve his social skills in the time he was with us.

I hope he understood how well liked he was by some of us here.

This is a HUGE shock but sadly the story is true. Derek went to Mark's apartment and it is basically gone. The fire started on Mark's floor apparently by a space heater. I've contacted their local police and news department but have not received a reply yet.

This is why Mark has not been posting.

I talked to Mark the night before this happened. He said he needed a friend to talk to so I PM'd him and we talked. I was lucky and had the chance to meet him and I found him to be an incredibly nice, loving, compassionate person.

R.I.P. my good friend.

Last edited:
what...i', so sorry to learn this, and indeed he was a nice guy, i didn't liked how others picked on him...he really did like trains and taking photos, its sad

Even more tragic because he was in the midst of seeing how he could get a smoke alarm with a visual signal. Might that have saved him if he had it?

My condolences to this most shocking and unfortunate turn of events for Mark who had just moved into new living quarters.....

This is heartbreaking news. Mark was so excited about finally moving into his new apartment…. :(

OMG...can't believe it!...Such a nice guy...*snif*....Is it 100% that it's Mark?....

This is heartbreaking news. Mark was so excited about finally moving into his new apartment…. :(

I waited to post the news until I had a lot of information. Derek went over to Mark's apartment building and the whole thing is gone. There were two people living on Mark's floor, him and the other older gentleman who later died from his injuries. The "unidentified" other male is Mark. The fire started on that floor by a space heater. Everyone else was able to escape.

Derek knows the owner of the building so sadly this all seems real.

I bought him 4 flashlights because the power was always going out at his old place and wanted him to have security but I think that failed with his new move. Sick over this.

I am absolutely devastated and about to shed some tears. I'm just shocked and so sorry.

I met owner of building tonight. I had originally hoped that it was an accident. However, it looks more like this was suicidal move. FBI is involved in this. They've not put all facts together yet. I'm sure that we'll know soon enough what they find out.

I met owner of building tonight. I had originally hoped that it was an accident. However, it looks more like this was suicidal move. FBI is involved in this. They've not put all facts together yet. I'm sure that we'll know soon enough what they find out.
Suicide by fire? I cannot imagine choosing this method. How very sad to see this thread. Although I don't post here much these days, I do stop by for a read now and then. He was quite a character.

I keep reading the last messages between Mark and I to see if I missed something. He did not sound suicidal at all. God I hope he did not kill himself and this is all just a horrible horrible accident.

Thank you Derek.

Just curious what makes you think it looks like suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back