Check ups

toffeekukki

Reaction score
How often do you visit your audiologist?
I have just been reading back one of my old posts. It has been just under 18months.since i last saw my audiologist.
Even with my aids i am struggling again.
If i turn away i can no longer hear noises.
I sometimes cant hear my own voice.
I can no longer clearly hear my hubby.
He has a strong deep voice. Is it too soon to be going be going for a check up?

No, it is not too soon. If your hearing has changed or you are no longer getting the same benefit from your aid that seems like the perfect time to visit to see what's going on.

last friday. I was getting check up with audiologist to change my volume level and background sound... but i was checking on front desk Nikki she so nice lady. I able understand she talked with me. I am getting know her. She's cool.

I finally visited the audiologist 2 months ago, I did need my hearing aids turning up. they set them to a lower volume while I got used to my hearing aids, I was only meant o have them on that setting upto a year, but I was not told this so I did not know how quiet they were. now they are at normal volume and I am getting used to sounds all over again. Thank you for your responses. Glad I can update you.

You can't change your own volume on hearing aids??? I have never encountered that.

You can't change your own volume on hearing aids??? I have never encountered that.
I believe some HAs do not have volume buttons. Most likely the small ones. Anyway, they do set the HAs max volume at a low volume for new users to get used to the sounds. Though I usually went back 2 weeks later to get them turned up and then would go back whenever I felt I needed the HAs tweaked.

I believe some HAs do not have volume buttons. Most likely the small ones. Anyway, they do set the HAs max volume at a low volume for new users to get used to the sounds. Though I usually went back 2 weeks later to get them turned up and then would go back whenever I felt I needed the HAs tweaked.

yeah, my second pair doesn't have that (which is BS when I was in high school lol)
thankfully the pair I have now and in '11 has that

How often do you visit your audiologist?
I have just been reading back one of my old posts. It has been just under 18months.since i last saw my audiologist.
Even with my aids i am struggling again.
If i turn away i can no longer hear noises.
I sometimes cant hear my own voice.
I can no longer clearly hear my hubby.
He has a strong deep voice. Is it too soon to be going be going for a check up?

it has been since '18, I'll have to go back soon, get checked up and possibly some new hearing aids as well ;) *same for my mom since her first one was from 2014*

I would not like that! It is soooo much easier to just reach up to a behind the ear aid rather than dig a phone out of my purse.
It’s called modern technology.

But I get your point. I do. I had to adjust at first, too. By now I am used to it, so I don’t mind it. I think a time will come when all HAs are this way.

Things was just too quiet. They do set them Quiet for new users. I am alot happier and I have room to adjust the volume using my buttons if needed. We're as before the buttons up full was still not loud enough.

Things was just too quiet. They do set them Quiet for new users. I am alot happier and I have room to adjust the volume using my buttons if needed. We're as before the buttons up full was still not loud enough.
I had the exact problem, my aid was set low, till I went back for my checkup they turn it up without me even saying anything, they went by my hearing tests again, now it's perfect now I don't have to turn the volume up.

When I get in ear hearing aids it might be 10 to 20 years before I see him again.

My last one Maryland Hearing Aid Service I visited Mr Fenema I think 1998 before he retired to get new molds and hearing aids rebuilt at the company lab. In those days they built them over same as new for much cheaper. It was almost 10 years later before I visited a local Audiologist here in Arkansas.

My last visit was three years ago and once i get those hearing aids delivered (Covid closed them a year) it probably will be the last set I buy in my lifetime.

The big difference and why it is so long between visits is because the old behind the ear aids with tube to the mold filled with water or went bad every 6 months the molds didnt do well after a year or two. Always going back. That got tiresome. When the then new digital in ears were made and availible I switched. That seriously cut down on visiting.

As a result of my last audiogram I still retain natural hearing at voice levels and below, particularly towards bass. However I lost half of what I had left above 4000 hertz which is 120db meaning profoundly deaf. So... as a workaround I use the little rechargeable boosters which are not prescription hearing aids per se but are constantly improving in quality and dropping in price to where they are disposible after a year or two. No doctors or prescription needed for me.

Being able to recharge them eliminated the number one cost of hearing aids. A set of batteries every 4 days. THAT was another thing. In trucking I was 24/7 so Zinc Air failed at below -40 or after 80 hours straight. There were times I must work at -70 or colder. I preferred the old analogs where you can run them 4 weeks on a set of batteries. I was informed that America essentially is down to about 6 prescription hearing aid makers and none are making analogs anymore. There is no money in them. Go figure.

So at my age in the mid 50's its safe to say that barring any trauma, injury or other emergency I would be seeing my audiologist for the last time in my lifetime soon. My first was at Hopkins at age 6, a Japanese Doctor Shimizu was phoentic for his name. His sound booth was the absolute paradise and best in the world for a bit of Beethoven as a reward for a few minutes after so many words reciting. I dont think I will ever experience that quality of sound in my lifetime. And it's 60s era analog sound.

The old hospital section then in use was shake and rumble alot on it's building steel and iron beams. If you sat in the chair in the waiting room without cushions the building was alive. Shook constantly. Once you were put into that isolated sound booth its very quiet to the point at which your own heart and body function noises are pretty evident. You cannot be in there too long. The mind does not handle that kind of absolute silence too long.

Last edited:
Back