Chat anyone?

gina.mattson

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm a 20 yr old hearing student taking intermediate ASL in college over in Ashland, OR! My grandpa was HOH my entire childhood, he got kicked in the head by a horse when he was young and went basically deaf. So it was hard to communicate with him, he would make comments to people, but never had full conversations, just greeted and showed affection to family. My grandma would write notes to him if he couldn't read lips. In high school I thought maybe if I learned asl I'd be able to communicate with him better, but realized he doesn't sign either. So it was sort of unfortunate. But i took 3 years of ASL in high school and I loved it, so now I'm continuing learning ASL, trying to get better and more advanced/fluent. I'm a psychology major at my school, and take ASL for fun/credits whatever, but I love the language and sense of community in deaf culture! So I'm looking for someone to skype with, get to know, practice signing, share stories, whatever! I'm on Skype, name ginamattson (it'll say I'm from Concord, CA though), if anyone wants to chat please respond or message me on skype :]
Cheers!
-Gina

Hi Gina! Welcome to AD! My name is Adam. My youngest brother is HOH and for the last 16 years my family and I have always used ASL to communicate with him. However, as he's gotten older his hearing as slowly improved, so we use less ASL and more speech with him now. I took two years of ASL when I started college, but really haven't been involved with the Deaf community much since then. I now have a Deaf friend and am getting more involved. I joined AD to meet other members of the Deaf community and meet people I can sign with to brush up on my vocab and ASL. Feel free to add me on Skype (rayne127) and message me anytime!
-Adam

Hey! I am Paulina, I am looking for people to start chatting with and get to know that are know ASL as well. I am hearing and want to become an interpreter. So if you'd like you can skype me at Paulina.Kimberly Looking forward to your add,, Gina and Adam. Just let me know who you are when you add. I always get strangers and what not adding me.

ready for chat

How are you doing and where are you from originally am a deaf person too i would like to chat with you online when next you are online. Here is my yahoo messenger id fisherpatton@yahoo.com add me and let chat.

Yay! Glad others want to chat too :] I'll go find you guys on skype! It's great to see other hearing people who want to get involved in deaf culture as well.
@Adam, do you prefer being able to talk or sign with your brother?
@Paulina, what got you interested in becoming an interpreter, do you have deaf or HOH family/friends?
@fisherpatton, do you only have yahoo chat? (I use gmail for my email, but i have a yahoo account too, is yahoo messenger through the email or is it a separate messenger program that i can download or something, i've never used yahoo chat before, but i'd love to chat with you!)

Also I'm doing well, I had a social psychology class today. Todays topic was stress, just in time for finals approaching of course! I find it kind of odd that talking about stress makes me more stressed. Does that happen to anyone else? I'm originally from California near San Francisco and Berkeley. But now going to college in Ashland OR. Where is everyone else from?

Yay! Glad others want to chat too :] I'll go find you guys on skype! It's great to see other hearing people who want to get involved in deaf culture as well.
@Paulina, what got you interested in becoming an interpreter, do you have deaf or HOH family/friends?
@fisherpatton, do you only have yahoo chat? (I use gmail for my email, but i have a yahoo account too, is yahoo messenger through the email or is it a separate messenger program that i can download or something, i've never used yahoo chat before, but i'd love to chat with you!)

I talk and sign with him. I don't want him to lose his signing skills just because his hearing has gotten better. It doesn't mean that it won't start going down hill some day in the future. Hopefully it won't, but it's possible.

Hey! I am Paulina, I am looking for people to start chatting with and get to know that are know ASL as well. I am hearing and want to become an interpreter. So if you'd like you can skype me at Paulina.Kimberly Looking forward to your add,, Gina and Adam. Just let me know who you are when you add. I always get strangers and what not adding me.

I do for you ASL!! I will 2 weeks you!
How are you doing and where are you from originally am a deaf person too i would like to chat with you online when next you are online. Here is my yahoo messenger id fisherpatton@yahoo.com add me and let chat.

I best for you ASl skype!!

I recommend skype :) skype better!! easy better smooth!!

Also I'm doing well, I had a social psychology class today. Todays topic was stress, just in time for finals approaching of course! I find it kind of odd that talking about stress makes me more stressed. Does that happen to anyone else? I'm originally from California near San Francisco and Berkeley. But now going to college in Ashland OR. Where is everyone else from?

I will update for you,, I understand you, that is not easy!! complication
I talk and sign with him. I don't want him to lose his signing skills just because his hearing has gotten better. It doesn't mean that it won't start going down hill some day in the future. Hopefully it won't, but it's possible.

I know Don't worry I am away holiday i back on work for your holiday I do for you project ASL schedule I best job!!

Ya definitely, thats a good idea, and very true! Does he go to public or residential school?
When are you available to skype?

Ya definitely, thats a good idea, and very true! Does he go to public or residential school?
When are you available to skype?

He goes to public school and they're very great with him. I'm pretty much available any time I'm on. Feel free to just send me a message. If I don't reply, I'm probably not at my computer. I tend to walk away and get side tracked with a lot of other things, but I'll eventually get back to you. =)

He goes to public school and they're very great with him. I'm pretty much available any time I'm on. Feel free to just send me a message. If I don't reply, I'm probably not at my computer. I tend to walk away and get side tracked with a lot of other things, but I'll eventually get back to you. =)

Ah thats good theyre good with him. Did he have an interpreter before he got his hearing back? Ive seen so many pro/con lists of hearing vs deaf schools. Ok, will do, I haven't been checking in on Skype recently, because I'm a week away from my finals, so all my papers/projects/presentations are this week! But I will definitely check back in on Skype once I finish my finals this term, and shoot you and Paulina a message! :]

Ah thats good theyre good with him. Did he have an interpreter before he got his hearing back? Ive seen so many pro/con lists of hearing vs deaf schools. Ok, will do, I haven't been checking in on Skype recently, because I'm a week away from my finals, so all my papers/projects/presentations are this week! But I will definitely check back in on Skype once I finish my finals this term, and shoot you and Paulina a message! :]

He wore hearing aids at one point but he didn't like them and at some point the school used an FM system. He's always spent half his day in the special ed. class and the other half in regular classes. When he was in the regular classes he had a 1-on-1 aid with him, and he knew ASL so he helped him a lot. And in the regular classes, most of the teachers knew basic ASL and he had his aid with him.

hi guys, i just joined this site. started teaching myself ASL not too long ago, but i don't have anyone to practice with. i don't want to learn from hearing people, i feel like it's cheating, so i'm looking for d/Deaf or HOH friends to help me get better.

hi guys, i just joined this site. started teaching myself ASL not too long ago, but i don't have anyone to practice with. i don't want to learn from hearing people, i feel like it's cheating, so i'm looking for d/Deaf or HOH friends to help me get better.

Hey, welcome to Alldeaf! That's great you are teaching yourself to sign! I'm not deaf or HOH, but I took basic ASL in HS for 3 years and now am in my 3rd term of advanced ASL in college. So if I can be of help, feel free to message me on Skype when I'm on. Otherwise, there are many lovely deaf and HOH people on this site that are friendly, so best of luck!

Hey, welcome to Alldeaf! That's great you are teaching yourself to sign! I'm not deaf or HOH, but I took basic ASL in HS for 3 years and now am in my 3rd term of advanced ASL in college. So if I can be of help, feel free to message me on Skype when I'm on. Otherwise, there are many lovely deaf and HOH people on this site that are friendly, so best of luck!

Hello welcome to alldeaf

you want to ASL Student

Back