Charles Dickens was born 200 years ago today

AJWSmith

Reaction score
You may be aware that 7 Feb 2012 is the 200th anniversary of Charles Dickens' birth.
Charles Dickens at 200 | Books | The Guardian

I've set myself the goal of reading all of Charles Dickens novels this year. I read Bleak House and Little Dorrit a few years ago, but I now want to work my way through all of his novels. I'm going to do them in chronological order & have started with Pickwick Papers.

Are there any ADers who have read them all? And those of you who have read Dickens stuff - which is your favourite novel?

The BBC do some great adaptations of his stories. In the last month or so, they did a new version of 'Great Expectations' and 'The Mystery of Edwin Drood' which I've enjoyed watching.

Bottesini

Old Deaf Ranter
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I lived in El Paso , TX, I read a lot of Dickens and Horatio Alger, for the reason that the library had a smaller collection in English as a lot of the materials were Spanish language.

I think The Old Curiosity Shop was one I really did like.

deafskeptic

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've read many of his books but not all of them. Old curiosity shop was my first Dickens book that I read. Little Nell's death shocked me then even though I could see that coming.