Changing hearing loss

DeafNerdMommy

Reaction score
Hello I have mod to severe hearing loss but in winter and fall I have severe to profound hearing loss. I have my hearing aids set to profound so it can accommodate. Anyone else have this problem?

Aging is part of it.

I used to have a certain range at which it's "Only" severe. However 10 years between two audio grams from the old to the recent new one showed a progression into Profound already in the high side of my hearing. As time goes by there will be no point in having new hearing aids. Im already functioning and adapted to living without them.

I do not consider it a loss or negative. I think things are a little "Quieter" and less stressful in life as it is as the profound progresses. I expect in 10 years I will be completely deaf. But by then I probably will have had passed on due to a variety of health situations ongoing. So that does not matter anymore.

The Bible promises when the time comes the old body will be gone and we will be given new bodies free of pain etc.

Aging is part of it.

I used to have a certain range at which it's "Only" severe. However 10 years between two audio grams from the old to the recent new one showed a progression into Profound already in the high side of my hearing. As time goes by there will be no point in having new hearing aids. Im already functioning and adapted to living without them.

I do not consider it a loss or negative. I think things are a little "Quieter" and less stressful in life as it is as the profound progresses. I expect in 10 years I will be completely deaf. But by then I probably will have had passed on due to a variety of health situations ongoing. So that does not matter anymore.

The Bible promises when the time comes the old body will be gone and we will be given new bodies free of pain etc.
Amen

Hi DeafNerdMommy,
My loss was progressive. Instead of looking at it as a challenge I tried to approach it as a new chapter as a dropped into a lower bracket.
For me life was hardest when I still tried to act like I could hear more than I currently did - trying to use amplified phones or mics when I could barely detect the sound and couldn't understand anything at all. I do still wear my hearing aids but I mostly communicate only in sign or writing. I find it easier to not even try the oral approach although my lip reading isn't too bad....sometimes....of course I usually don't realize I misread something until I made a mistake.

Back