Changing computers old win xp pro 32 bit new windows 7 64 bit

Jane B.

Reaction score
I got a new computer and am talking about getting the software etc. that is on the old on onto the new one. I am adding this because so many that have responded talk about upgrading not moving from one computer to another!

As the title says my old computer runs an updated version of WIN XP PRO 32 bit. I have bought one with Windows 7 64 bit but have not yet switched to the new one.

Do any of you have suggestions for making the process as easy as possible? Have run across things about PCmover but have not gotten it. I would like comments on how welll it could be expected to work for this change.

I do NOT intend to change what software and hardware such as printer, scanner etc. I am running if I can avoid it. By the way I DO NOT USE MICRO$OFT WORD OR THE REST OF THAT OFFICE SUITE AT ALL!!!! My office suite is WordPerfect Office X4. The WordPerfect part of it does read .docx files that other people send to me.

Rather than making this post even longer I invite you to ask what else you want to know before making suggestions.

Last edited:
The only small problem is that some of the 32 bit applications will not work on 64 bit OS. Some do support 32 Bit on 64 bit. Windows 7 will do a test (some do some don't) to be sure all the apps meet the requirement for Windows 7. Also how much memory you have on your XP machine? If it's 1 Gig of Ram, it will run slow when using 64 bit OS. Minimum requirement for 64 bit Windows 7 is 4 gig of Ram best 8 gig. Hope you understand what I'm saying?

The only small problem is that some of the 32 bit applications will not work on 64 bit OS. Some do support 32 Bit on 64 bit. Windows 7 will do a test (some do some don't) to be sure all the apps meet the requirement for Windows 7. Also how much memory you have on your XP machine? If it's 1 Gig of Ram, it will run slow when using 64 bit OS. Minimum requirement for 64 bit Windows 7 is 4 gig of Ram best 8 gig. Hope you understand what I'm saying?

I do understand what you are saying and appreciate you posting; but you missed important information. I bought a new computer! I am not upgrading the old computer! PCmover offers several different ways to move things between two different computers.

The new computer has 8GB of memory and a 500G hard disk drive.

I think what Sneakernet was trying to say is that when you try to move your software from your old 32 bit computer to your new 64 bit computer, some programs are likely not to work. Your WordPerfect software, for example.

I think what Sneakernet was trying to say is that when you try to move your software from your old 32 bit computer to your new 64 bit computer, some programs are likely not to work. Your WordPerfect software, for example.

What I was calling SneakerNet's attention to is that how much memory is on the old computer is not an issue as I will not be running 64 bit Windows 7 on it.

I am aware that some software may not run but will not be making changes unless I have to. Everything that I have found, so far, makes me think that the version of WordPerfect Office that I have will work. There are some other programs that it will take trying before I will know for sure.

I am really hoping to find some that have actually used PCmover to go from an updated XP PRO on one computer to a Windows 7 Pro on a new computer.

I'm curious. This is not a brand new computer, is it? It would be Windows 10 if it were.

I am getting a laptop same brand as yours on May 3rd. I have more memory-8 GB DDR4 1 TB hard drive. Windows 10. It was only about $280.00. I don't understand 32 bit and 64 bit. How do I find out?

I apologized, I dd completely overlooked about you purchased a new computer. Yes AllyCat is correct. Ok glad you understood about it may not work with WIndows 7. Curious, do you have some of the software on CD? Like WordPerfect CD? The reason I asked, sometime it's easier to just copy all the folders: My Documents, My Videos, My Pictures, Favorite etc... to external source... like external drive, CDs or cloud. Then restore it to your new machine. Then install all old the software running compatibility mode to XP version. Really I have no idea how reliable the PCmover is... most of my life (over 39 years...) that I just do an old school method...copy and paste....l

SilverRoxy, about 32 bit and 64 bit, Windows 10 come in 64 bit. During XP age most come in 32 bit. When Windows 7 arrived, it come in either 32 or 64 because some XP Software will not work on Windows 7. Now more and more Windows 7 moving toward 64 bit. So today, many Windows 7 come in 64 bit and ready to move on to Windows 10 64 bit without any issue. It's more of slow transitioning. What is 32 or 64 bit anyway? Think of a highway, there are 32 lanes and 64 lanes highway...which one have more room to travel and faster? Common sense... 64..... duh.... you know? hope that helped.

I am getting a laptop same brand as yours on May 3rd. I have more memory-8 GB DDR4 1 TB hard drive. Windows 10. It was only about $280.00. I don't understand 32 bit and 64 bit. How do I find out?

I thought I remembered you posting about what computer you are getting so I went back and looked. It turns out about the only thing similar between yours and mine is that they are laptops made by Lenovo. We got the same amount of memory (8GB) but different size hard disks and CPUs from different manufactures (mine is Intel and yours AMD) in different models.

The following are a couple of links I found using Google that should help with the 32 bit - 64 bit question.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3096...whether-your-windows-is-32-bit-or-64-bit.html

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/pc-components/32-bit-vs-64-bit-3584953/

I thought I remembered you posting about what computer you are getting so I went back and looked. It turns out about the only thing similar between yours and mine is that they are laptops made by Lenovo. We got the same amount of memory (8GB) but different size hard disks and CPUs from different manufactures (mine is Intel and yours AMD) in different models.

The following are a couple of links I found using Google that should help with the 32 bit - 64 bit question.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3096...whether-your-windows-is-32-bit-or-64-bit.html

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/pc-components/32-bit-vs-64-bit-3584953/
Is my laptop still good? Thanks for the links!

I apologized, I dd completely overlooked about you purchased a new computer. Yes AlleyCat is correct. Ok glad you understood about it may not work with Windows 7. Curious, do you have some of the software on CD? Like WordPerfect CD? The reason I asked, sometime it's easier to just copy all the folders: My Documents, My Videos, My Pictures, Favorite etc... to external source... like external drive, CDs or cloud. Then restore it to your new machine. Then install all old the software running compatibility mode to XP version. Really I have no idea how reliable the PCmover is... most of my life (over 39 years...) that I just do an old school method...copy and paste....l

Yes, I have the CDs for virtually all the software I have installed. I am not sure about some for my Cannon DSLR and an old update or so for some other.

I do not use any of the "My" folders. I save data created by me to external media such as a hard disk.

Well . . . I just got reminded of how much older I am. You were in grade school when I first used a computer (the Radio Shack Model III with two 5¼" floppy drives that I used at work).

Would it be possible to partition the hard drive of the new computer so that you could run W7 and XP as needed? That method is sometimes used for legacy software and files.

The potential problem with peripheral devices such as cameras, printers and scanners is incompatibility. I remember when we upgraded from XP to Windows-OS series that we had to replace them due to incompatibility. Sometimes that problem can be overcome by downloading from the device's company support for the new drivers needed. Not all devices have upgraded drivers available.

It will be 64 bit, obviously because you have 8 GB RAM, also almost all new laptops come with 64 bit nowadays.

32 bit capped at 4 GB RAM.

As the title says my old computer runs an updated version of WIN XP PRO 32 bit. I have bought one with Windows 7 64 bit but have not yet switched to the new one.

Do any of you have suggestions for making the process as easy as possible? Have run across things about PCmover but have not gotten it. I would like comments on how welll it could be expected to work for this change.

I do NOT intend to change what software and hardware such as printer, scanner etc. I am running if I can avoid it. By the way I DO NOT USE MICRO$OFT WORD OR THE REST OF THAT OFFICE SUITE AT ALL!!!! My office suite is WordPerfect Office X4. The WordPerfect part of it does read .docx files that other people send to me.

Rather than making this post even longer I invite you to ask what else you want to know before making suggestions.

See SneakerNet's statement about hardware - not all old hardware support 64 bit.

You can use USB flash to transfer your data if you want.

32 bit applications do work with 64 bit but sometime, you have to mess with compatibility to get app to run.

Last edited:
See SneakerNet's statement about hardware - not all old hardware support 64 bit.

You can use USB flash to transfer your data if you want.

32 bit applications do work with 64 bit but sometime, you have to mess with compatibility to get app to run.
That depends on what kind of USB port she has on her old computer-1.0 or 2.0. New computers has 3.0 USB port. I don't know if it is transferable.

That depends on what kind of USB port she has on her old computer-1.0 or 2.0. New computers has 3.0 USB port. I don't know if it is transferable.

All works fine.

USB 1.0 will transfer very very slow and USB 2.0 is slightly better but still slow.

I already see some issues when a change is attempted. First, how will PCMover be of any use if a second PC is not available to transfer saved files? If only a single PC is used, partitioning between two operating systems is the only way to to attempt a transfer within the same hard drive? Second, if the above succeeds, will communication between a 32 and 64 bit OS be possible to complete the change? Then there's the matter of updated hardware drivers AND the possibility of 64 bit software unable to open and read 32 bit files... Jane, this sounds like a potential mess.

Back