Changing computers old win xp pro 32 bit new windows 7 64 bit

PCmover? What a piece of useless program. Stay away from it like a plague.

Just use UBS or DVD or CD or External Hard Drive wherever you have. It's the most safest way to transfer your files.

It's strange to see people use a program like PCmover to transfer files. It's like driving an automatic car when one doesn't know how to use manual stick shift.

Just use UBS or DVD or CD or External Hard Drive wherever you have. It's the most safest way to transfer your files.

It's strange to see people use a program like PCmover to transfer files. It's like driving an automatic car when one doesn't know how to use manual stick shift.

What a number of you don't seem to understand or overlooked is that it was the function of moving programs from one computer to another that I was asking if others had experience with. Not just data files!

What a number of you don't seem to understand or overlooked is that it was the function of moving programs from one computer to another that I was asking if others had experience with. Not just data files!

giphy.gif

PCmover move programs and data files. Like I said PCmovers is piece of crap. It causes nothing but headache. Some of those programs don't work. Yeah, I know a friend who tried it, but he's got pissed off at a PCmover customer service guy with a thick Indian accent who doesn't know a single thing about it. PCmover is useless. Some of us don't like new programs, but we learn. We GROW and improve our skills. You just don't want to change. C'mon, Jane, take a risk.

You keep asking about PC movers. Here are your own quotes.
Do any of you have suggestions for making the process as easy as possible? Have run across things about PCmover but have not gotten it. I would like comments on how welll it could be expected to work for this change.

I am really hoping to find some that have actually used PCmover to go from an updated XP PRO on one computer to a Windows 7 Pro on a new computer.

.I do understand what you are saying and appreciate you posting; but you missed important information. I bought a new computer! I am not upgrading the old computer! PCmover offers several different ways to move things between two different computers.

Like I said again, PCmover is useless. PCmover won't transfer your camera software program to new computer. Contact Canon for new software program, but if your DSLR camera is old, then too bad. I do know a lot about Canon and Nikon software programs in the line of my work. They don't care about upgrading old software programs except creating new software programs and new cameras. Sell your old DSLR camera for new one. Good luck.

Moving program files via anything is a hit or miss. Some you likely won't be able to move at all. You didn't note what programs you are trying to move. I either kept the CDs or copied/saved the EXE files when I bought a new PC. Though likely, the last time I bought new was in 2010, there weren't many programs that could or would move program files from one PC to another. On top of that you'd have to worry about compatibility- some programs may not work at all unless you are able to run them in compatibility mode.

Thank you very much...

Moving program files via anything is a hit or miss. Some you likely won't be able to move at all. You didn't note what programs you are trying to move. I either kept the CDs or copied/saved the EXE files when I bought a new PC. Though likely, the last time I bought new was in 2010, there weren't many programs that could or would move program files from one PC to another. On top of that you'd have to worry about compatibility- some programs may not work at all unless you are able to run them in compatibility mode.

There is warning - apps from Windows app store seem not friendly about move to USB storage due to encryption to prevent the piracy, so I can't recover my game that I backed up and had to re-download 50 GB again.

If you want me to help to move your stuffs to your new PC so I will glad to charge $500 for do my job.

Moving stuff from computer to storage is very easy, even first grade students can do it.

@Jane B. So do you understand now? Below is the excellent explanation for you, maybe it's time that you take our advice.

PCmover move programs and data files. Like I said PCmovers is piece of crap. It causes nothing but headache. Some of those programs don't work. Yeah, I know a friend who tried it, but he's got pissed off at a PCmover customer service guy with a thick Indian accent who doesn't know a single thing about it. PCmover is useless. Some of us don't like new programs, but we learn. We GROW and improve our skills. You just don't want to change. C'mon, Jane, take a risk.

Like I said again, PCmover is useless. PCmover won't transfer your camera software program to new computer. Contact Canon for new software program, but if your DSLR camera is old, then too bad. I do know a lot about Canon and Nikon software programs in the line of my work. They don't care about upgrading old software programs except creating new software programs and new cameras. Sell your old DSLR camera for new one. Good luck.

@Jane B. -What do you think of your new laptop? How did you end up transferring your programs?

Jane You didn't answer my question. Do you like your new laptop? I take it from your comments to other people that you haven't transferred your programs yet. It is better to download programs directly from companies. I hope it doesn't cost you money.

It's best to install the programs from the original software or download from the originating site but sometimes it's not available. I have friends who tried to transfer old legacy programs from one computer to a newer OS computer and there were compatibility issues that just couldn't be overcome. Also, as I posted elsewhere, some drivers cannot be updated, so devices won't work.

I've never done a direct-connect transfer of one Windows computer to another. I have done it on old Apples and it was easy; just very time consuming while waiting for it to do its thing.

Upgrading is never fun. It takes time, and there's almost always some "loss" of tried and true programs or devices. One reason is technology, another is marketing (built-in obsolescence to maintain a continuos market). The Windows giant is not kind hearted.

For those who want to be sure it's completely wiped off the disk before selling to someone, I use DBAN, this will burn to bootable CD and once rebooted, you can choose DoD erase and select how many time you want to repeat. Most of the time I pick 3 times and it last about day and half, maybe less, it depending on processor speed. I heard someone went too far like 100 times and that take 3 or 4 years! I told someone that this will be outdated machine not worth to sell!!! Here's the link for that: http://www.dban.org it's free but turned out that Blancco brought DBAN. I don't know how much it changed.

Thanks SN! I THINK that's what I used on a ThnkPad many many years ago when I sold it for a friend of mine (needed money for wedding...) on EBay- wow 13 years ago.

@Jane B. Forget about PCmover and please stop show your bad attitude to us, so it is very rude to us. I'm going to give you step to step instruction.

1) Buy USB flash - 16 GB is recommended and grab M&M's candies
2) Turn your old PC on
3) Organize all of your data into My Documents or Backup folder
4) Drag the folders to USB and it may take while for older USB port.
5) Open the M&M's candies and watch on TV
6) Come back to check if transfer is complete
7) If completed, so right click to remove the hardware safety.
8) Plug in your new PC and drag to desktop or Documents folder of your choice
9) Be happy, get over and stop nitpicking us

You have to re-install all programs, unless it is game data that can be transfer easily, so Reba told you - see her post.

Are you going to promise that you won't nitpicking on us as trade for helping you?

ah- I'd get a bigger USB drive size. I once tried to move all of my sister's pics off of one of her laptops. A 16 GB usb wasn't big enough!

Only other suggestion I have- only if the old computer is being kept.. is to get a KVM switch. Keyboard-video-mouse switch- good for when you have 2 CPUs and 1 monitor, keyboard and mouse. You can switch between the two CPUs and be able to view either on 1 monitor and use the same mouse/keyboard. I have one- worked really well (currently I am not using Creaky Dell though).

Last edited:
You can get extental hard drive for backup. Extental hard drive will back up your documents and photos from your old computer before you will format hard drive and reinstall Windows os. Like I did.

ah- I'd get a bigger USB drive size. I once tried to move all of my sister's pics off of one of her laptops. A 16 GB usb wasn't big enough!

Only other suggestion I have- only if the old computer is being kept.. is to get a KVM switch. Keyboard-video-mouse switch- good for when you have 2 CPUs and 1 monitor, keyboard and mouse. You can switch between the two CPUs and be able to view either on 1 monitor and use the same mouse/keyboard. I have one- worked really well (currently I am not using Creaky Dell though).

If 16 GB is full so erase all of them after finish the transfer, then do transfer remaining of data, then erase again, rinse and repeat.

I don't think Jane use a lot of data for legacy XP and HDD during XP era was smaller like 40 GB to 80 GB.

Back