Celiac Disease...anyone here deal with it?

mizwytch

Reaction score
I got diagnosed with Celiac Disease about a month or so before I had gall bladder surgery. I have been learning to live gluten free for about 4 to 5 months now. It was a bit of a bitch at first...but it's getting better. I have learned to make my own gluten free bread, (damn sight cheaper and better than most of the commercial brands), and other things. Seems the biggest obstacle is finding anything without some gluten derivative treacherously hidden in it. When 90% to 95% of the food stuffs in this country is off limits to a growing number of people it's difficult to keep it out of your system. I find the biggest culprits are OTC and prescription drugs and toothpastes.

I have a bit of an intolerance to gluten.

I try not to eat much gluten anyway for example bread.

I have tried eating an gluten free bread but I nearly barfed.

I don't have Celiac but am aware of the issues with it. Anything like that, or even a wheat allergy, can be very challenging....I have dairy allergies, though I know it's not quite same ramifications. I think it's a great solution to be able to make your own bread. I eat gluten-free much of the time and generally avoid typical "commercial" bread anyway, usually I get sprouted whole grain bread and pasta> for myself - as opposed to hubby- at the health food store.
Many more groceries at least in my area do have products specifically for people with Celiac but as with corn, gluten is hidden in so many other things besides food.
Maybe you can see if there is a Celiac support group near you which has an online feature or availability also?
:hug:

Yeah I have celiac's... try vitamin cottage, if you have one near you, they are great about that sort of thing, they make sure everything is labeled. And I know its annoying and time consuming, but send letters to the manufacturer... and make them tell you for sure if it has any gluten in it, if it is processed in a factory that does anything with gluten, even how the vinegar is made... and if its certified gluten free. if you wanna chat, i'm here... it can be a pain in the but... but you feel better for it.

I have a bit of an intolerance to gluten.

I try not to eat much gluten anyway for example bread.

I have tried eating an gluten free bread but I nearly barfed.

I have a great recipe for gluten free bread. It takes a little time to make, but it tastes really good.

All purpose Gluten-Free flour mix.

2 cups of Soy Flour

2 cups of Fava Bean Flour

2 cups of Lentil Flour

4 tablespoons of Xanthan Gum

4 tablespoons of Guar Gum

Mix all ingredients really well and store in a lidded container. This recipe is high fiber and high protein. Nearly carb-less. Great for low carb diets.

Bread Recipe

1 and 2/3 cups of warm milk. (If you are lactose intolerant use soy or almond milk)

1 whole egg and 3/4 cup of egg WHITES

1/4 cup of coconut oil

1 teaspoon of cider vinegar

1 table spoon of bread yeast

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bread/loaf pan with oil. ( I use coconut oil)

Add the tablespoon of yeast to the warm milk and let stand for 10 minutes. It should get good and foamy.

Put 3 cups of your All Purpose Gluten free flour mix into a bowl and add the milk/yeast mixture, eggs, oil and cider vinegar to the flour. Mix with a fork or well oiled hands until well combined. Put the dough into the greased bread pan and cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise until dough reaches just slightly over the top of the loaf pan. Pop into oven for 10 minutes. after 10 minutes cover with aluminum foil to prevent over browning. Pop back into oven and let bake for another 55-60 minutes.

Turn out onto rack to cool. Store in the fridge in a big baggie or plastic container. Sometimes moisture will form on the inside of the container. If this happens leave the lid or baggie slightly open to prevent mold.

Last edited:
Yeah I have celiac's... try vitamin cottage, if you have one near you, they are great about that sort of thing, they make sure everything is labeled. And I know its annoying and time consuming, but send letters to the manufacturer... and make them tell you for sure if it has any gluten in it, if it is processed in a factory that does anything with gluten, even how the vinegar is made... and if its certified gluten free. if you wanna chat, i'm here... it can be a pain in the but... but you feel better for it.

Oh tell me about it! I now can tell when I've accidentally ingested some gluten. I feel like shit and have some of the raunchiest gas you can imagine! I go out of my way to avoid it. Gluten free foods can be pricey too...which is why I make as much of my own as possible. I am hoping to get a vitamixer ASAP so I can grind my own bean flours as well. Since I am a vegetarian, the cutting of gluten from my diet has cut a HUGE percentage of the food available to me even more. A lot of the protein alternatives to meat are gluten ladened. So, my strategy is to add high protein/high fiber gluten free flours and cut the carbs. Seems to be working and I'm dropping that extra weight I've been trying to get off for years. I eat a lot of eggs. I'm still having issues with dairy products so I still use Lact-aid or some form of dairy aid tablets. I'm still working on adjusting my diet...but it's getting there slowly but surely.

Oh tell me about it! I now can tell when I've accidentally ingested some gluten. I feel like shit and have some of the raunchiest gas you can imagine! I go out of my way to avoid it. Gluten free foods can be pricey too...which is why I make as much of my own as possible. I am hoping to get a vitamixer ASAP so I can grind my own bean flours as well. Since I am a vegetarian, the cutting of gluten from my diet has cut a HUGE percentage of the food available to me even more. A lot of the protein alternatives to meat are gluten ladened. So, my strategy is to add high protein/high fiber gluten free flours and cut the carbs. Seems to be working and I'm dropping that extra weight I've been trying to get off for years. I eat a lot of eggs. I'm still having issues with dairy products so I still use Lact-aid or some form of dairy aid tablets. I'm still working on adjusting my diet...but it's getting there slowly but surely.

Try going lactose free for about 6 months too... once you go GF, and are GF and lactose free, your body may start to be able to digest the lactose again. Check any meds you are taking, including the Lact-aid, alot of meds use gluten as a binder in them... its a cheep filler.

I have heard about celiac disease and I don't have one but just ruled out via blood test. I do have some GI problems that occur in random years, especially constipation and messed up the BM function so take 2-3 weeks to have a normal function again. That was just happened recently and got some better now, even my father had same when he was 20's and 30's.

I do have lactose intolerant so I used Lactaid to eat food that has lactose but not very often because I'm hardly eat dairy products.

I had colonoscopy in year ago and it was all normal but EGD isn't because of found mild gastritis.

I understand about your frustration with gluten-free diet and it does happen to me too when change the diet to recover from GI problems.

Try going lactose free for about 6 months too... once you go GF, and are GF and lactose free, your body may start to be able to digest the lactose again. Check any meds you are taking, including the Lact-aid, alot of meds use gluten as a binder in them... its a cheep filler.

Yeah...dropping the dairy. Gawds, that sucks too. Soy cheese is expensive and tastes nasty anyway. My favorite food is pizza. No wonder I'm losing weight, I've not a lot of food options left! LOL My hubby keeps trying to convince me to add some meat back into my diet...but I have issues with eating meat...especially knowing all the crap they pump into these poor critters and how horribly most of the animals suffer before and as they are being slaughtered. He says to try fish, and maybe some beef from places known to not use growth hormones , antibiotics, other chemicals and are free range. I am still thinking about it...but don't know if I ever will.

I'm pretty much living on gluten free bread, eggs, nuts, veggies and fruit right now. Got some serious cravings going on too...just not sure for what. :lol:

I have heard about celiac disease and I don't have one but just ruled out via blood test. I do have some GI problems that occur in random years, especially constipation and messed up the BM function so take 2-3 weeks to have a normal function again. That was just happened recently and got some better now, even my father had same when he was 20's and 30's.

I do have lactose intolerant so I used Lactaid to eat food that has lactose but not very often because I'm hardly eat dairy products.

I had colonoscopy in year ago and it was all normal but EGD isn't because of found mild gastritis.

I understand about your frustration with gluten-free diet and it does happen to me too when change the diet to recover from GI problems.

Ugh...yeah one of my big problems has been chronic constipation for some years. I figured between cutting about 95% of the food in my diet due to the celiac disease and also getting my gall bladder removed would correct most of that. So long as I don't eat dairy, it pretty well has. I really miss the occasional 6 pack of Guiness Extra Stout, Becks, or the Pumpkin Ales available around autumn. :aw:

I grew up with my sister who was diagnosed with it when I was two, but don't personally have it myself. My Mom modified a lot of our meals so that my sister didn't feel left out so we ate a lot of brown rice instead of pasta.

My nephew has it as well, and when he stays with me I can always tell when he's been sneaking into the cookies when he isn't supposed to. He breaks out in horrible eczema because of it and he's tired and cranky since his body isn't processing the nutrients the way it should.

A website that my sister and I love for gluten free recipes that taste really good is Gluten Free Girl recipes nom nom nom...

I grew up with my sister who was diagnosed with it when I was two, but don't personally have it myself. My Mom modified a lot of our meals so that my sister didn't feel left out so we ate a lot of brown rice instead of pasta.

My nephew has it as well, and when he stays with me I can always tell when he's been sneaking into the cookies when he isn't supposed to. He breaks out in horrible eczema because of it and he's tired and cranky since his body isn't processing the nutrients the way it should.

A website that my sister and I love for gluten free recipes that taste really good is Gluten Free Girl recipes nom nom nom...

OH THANK YOU FOR THE LINK! This is brilliant! :ty:

Ugh...yeah one of my big problems has been chronic constipation for some years. I figured between cutting about 95% of the food in my diet due to the celiac disease and also getting my gall bladder removed would correct most of that. So long as I don't eat dairy, it pretty well has. I really miss the occasional 6 pack of Guiness Extra Stout, Becks, or the Pumpkin Ales available around autumn. :aw:

Oh, ouch, that sounds like very unpleasant of GI problem.

When you were constipated, did you experience any pain in tummy area?

Some side effects in medicines could cause that like Prilosec and Nexium made my stools so dry and rough, that leading to risk of constipation so I stopped Nexium and currently took Dexilant so can't wait to get result in next week on side effects, however Protonix is only one anti-heartburn medicine won't cause constipation or change in BM but not much effective when fight against heartburn, also Previcd doesn't cause too but just tummy pain, that all.

Having a constipation is very extremely miserable because of cause hemorrhoids that what I was experience sometime. :(

I'm having a strictly limited on fatty and fried food and eat more healthy food, including fruits.

Oh, ouch, that sounds like very unpleasant of GI problem.

When you were constipated, did you experience any pain in tummy area?

Some side effects in medicines could cause that like Prilosec and Nexium made my stools so dry and rough, that leading to risk of constipation so I stopped Nexium and currently took Dexilant so can't wait to get result in next week on side effects, however Protonix is only one anti-heartburn medicine won't cause constipation or change in BM but not much effective when fight against heartburn, also Previcd doesn't cause too but just tummy pain, that all.

Having a constipation is very extremely miserable because of cause hemorrhoids that what I was experience sometime. :(

I'm having a strictly limited on fatty and fried food and eat more healthy food, including fruits.

Yep. My tummy was bloated, distended and I had some seriously NASTY gas....ALL. THE. TIME. It got to the point I was sleeping in a different room to keep from gassing my hubby out of bed. Even my dog was like, "DAMN! YOU STINK!" :lol:

I had some horrible acid reflux for a long time too. Once I had my gall bladder surgery that stopped and now I rarely ever have heartburn. The bloating, gas, and distension of my tummy area was due to a combination of gall bladder and Celiac issues. I was told it can take up to a year for your body to completely rid itself of the gluten and up to 2 years for the small intestines to heal from the damage caused from it. Sucks dude.

As for the fried and fatty foods...switch to using nothing but coconut oil for ANY cooking. Other oils and butter go rancid and toxic from the heat. Coconut oil does not. Not to mention the health benefits of coconut oil are amazing. I never use anything else now and I am beginning to see and feel the effects. :) Olive oil is great so long as it is used as is...like drizzled over salads and so on...but using anything other than coconut oil for any cooking or baking is a bad for the bod.

Back