CDI: Certified Deaf Interpreter

donotfeedbsugar

Reaction score
THAT'S MY GOAL!!! Certified Deaf Interpreter! So why am I creating this thread? Just basically wanted to know if anyone is in the same path to become a CDI or just an Interpreter in general. Or if you know of anyone that is a CDI please let me know. I'm just trying to get as much information as I can possible about CDI!!! So let me know!! Thanks!

THAT'S MY GOAL!!! Certified Deaf Interpreter! So why am I creating this thread? Just basically wanted to know if anyone is in the same path to become a CDI or just an Interpreter in general. Or if you know of anyone that is a CDI please let me know. I'm just trying to get as much information as I can possible about CDI!!! So let me know!! Thanks!

I think Deafbajagal is, but you might wait a while as she is not here that often.

Bottesini, thank you soooooo much...I'll try to find him on AD and send him a message. Thank you so much for reading! How are you by the by?

I am great and you are welcome. She is a woman though, and a teacher of the deaf also. :)

I do some DI work. Only for a very specific population though, since I am not confident enough with my skills to do more than that.

"heard" of it

I had read about CDI's and have served as a "go between" (a few times) between someone who is (fully) Deaf and someone who is (fully) Hearing, who did not know Sign. Someone at my church (a very skill signer and "inclusion" teacher) told me recently that I have a "gift" for signing in a conceptually accurate way. She even suggested I might want to think about "terping" a few of the songs during church (in the future). She gave me two examples of HOH people that she knew personally that had done so in the past. Apparently, they studied the words carefully beforehand and heard the music well enough to "stay with" the songs. Does anybody have any thought on this kind of thing? I am really kind of "up in the air" about it.

I have interpreted music as part of performance before. It was never for the point of interpreting it for access though. I did my own Deaf spin on the songs.

I checked this out for myself about 2 years ago. Granted, maybe things have changed since, but I had the opportunity to talk to a CDI when I was looking into this. She said the demand was not as great as we might have thought. She only got about 3 or 4 bookings a year, and that was even through a referral service (where you're more likely to get more job opps). I live in a HUGE deaf community (one of the largest in the US) so that was rather surprising. Has the demand grown in the last couple years? I'd be interested in checking it out again ...

As my user name states. I am currently working on becoming a ASL Terp. I have some prerequisite courses to get under my belt, then I can get into the Interpreter Training Program at my local community college.

As my user name states. I am currently working on becoming a ASL Terp. I have some prerequisite courses to get under my belt, then I can get into the Interpreter Training Program at my local community college.
What does that have to do with becoming a CDI???

Just giving you a heads up Juli.. It's CDI - certified deaf interpreter. I know you mentioned certified interpreter which of course is not wrong, but in this topic it's about the deaf interpreter.

By the way, dbj says she has tackled the issue with the OP already so I guess that's solved.

Just giving you a heads up Juli.. It's CDI - certified deaf interpreter. I know you mentioned certified interpreter which of course is not wrong, but in this topic it's about the deaf interpreter.

By the way, dbj says she has tackled the issue with the OP already so I guess that's solved.

np, it's just the internet gets it wrong.

Here's another use for the CDI: You are a speaker at convention and there's 500 people in the room. During or at the end of your speech you allow questions/comments from the audience. Instead of looking all over the room with bright lights overhead to locate someone with a question, you can have a CDI near you who will field the questions/comments for you. Not only does this make it easier for you, the speaker; other members of the audience is relieved from looking at the back of the one asking a question.

Back