CC on HDMI

rhr

Reaction score
Hi all..

I remember few year ago, I read alldeaf.com and I search not find about CC on HDMI on 2014 by FCC.. I remember

any, support CC on HDMI or nothing? why I read some said FCC sign on CC for HDMI on 2014???
Do you know and saw adddeaf.com few year ago? (2012 maybe)

No, FCC can't do anything about HDMI technology because it's engineered that way so that's why FCC requires all STBs like DVRs, cable boxes, BD/DVD players to include a CC decoder or upgrade the software/firmware.

So far there are two. Sony PS3 and PS4 which are BD/DVD players have CC built-in now so deaf owners of PS can watch CC on DVD through HDMI which carries overlay CC from the video source (PS) to TV.

I haven't heard about other BD/DVD players which are manufactured this year. By FCC law, they must support CC starting in 2014.

hdmi is just a data transmitting cable, only for binary mostly.....and most cc are now digital, so i dont know the hell you going on about.
HDMI stands for High Definition Media Interface

nothing else
it just a digital cable

HDMI :: Resources :: FAQ

Q. Does HDMI support Closed Captioning?
Close Captioning The evolution from analog to digital TV has added some complexity to Close Captioning (CC). With one standard way of broadcasting/transmitting, decoding and displaying content NTSC or PAL, depending on region, analog TV made enabling CC fairly easy across CE devices since the TV was able to do all the CC decoding.
With the advent of digital TV and the introduction of digital HDTV services (cable, satellite, etc.) the responsibility of decoding CC has been taken away from the TVs and put into the various Set Top Boxes (STB) that are required for the majority of the digital HDTV services. Additionally, these STBs now have different ways of enabling CC making it complicated and creating confusion for consumers. All set-top boxes are required to support CC, however the implementation of CC can vary from one product to another. Enabling CC on a specific set-top box can be simple, or more difficult, depending on the implementation.
HDMI, LLC recommends contacting your TV service provider (cable, satellite, etc.) for the correct way to switch on its CC feature as a first step to resolve this issue. The second step is to contact the manufacturers directly for the correct way to enable the CC feature within your product.
HDMI and Close Captioning
Closed Captioning (CC) works differently with digital connections (HDMI, DVI, etc.)

How old analog CC worked:
Source always sent CC information to the TV and the TV controlled whether the CC was displayed or not via the TV's remote (CC button). The CC button on the TV only controls CC for analog connections (S-Video, Composite, Component) or Over The Air tuners (ATSC digital or NTSC analog)

How CC works in HDMI and other digital connections:

The TV remote's CC button does not enable/disable CC on HDMI sources. To enable CC, the user must enable it at the source either through a source remote control key (i.e. CC button) or by going through the setup menu of the source. The source will then combine the video content with the CC information and output that (video + CC) via HDMI to the TV. (That's called overlay CC)

The CC rendering is done at the source and not at the TV as it was with analog connections. For example, with a typical cable box the CC is enable by going to the cable box setup menu and not the TV remote's CC button. The TV remote's CC only controls the analog CC and does not control the CC for each of the HDMI source devices. CC must be enabled from each of the individual HDMI sources.

Exact steps to enable CC varies between manufacturers so please contact the source manufacturer for instructions.

No, I didn ot say , I remember i saw who write CC support hdmi by FCC, I can't find alldeaf.com's search but I saw it two year ago, if I need found it and I will sent him/her about why HDMI support CC, I tell him/her what wrong him/her.. I tired search nope

I know hdmi not support CC, only DVR, Set-box, etc.. but I don't like because, they are very slow, small, not smooth.. HDTV's CC is best, big font, smooth, wide cc, than DVR, setbox.. I had DVR, I quit 1080i/p I swtich 480i on DVR, i see better smooth HDTV's CC (DVR os off CC), i use Appletv and LanVideo oh well..

No, I didn ot say , I remember i saw who write CC support hdmi by FCC, I can't find alldeaf.com's search but I saw it two year ago, if I need found it and I will sent him/her about why HDMI support CC, I tell him/her what wrong him/her.. I tired search nope

I know hdmi not support CC, only DVR, Set-box, etc.. but I don't like because, they are very slow, small, not smooth.. HDTV's CC is best, big font, smooth, wide cc, than DVR, setbox.. I had DVR, I quit 1080i/p I swtich 480i on DVR, i see better smooth HDTV's CC (DVR os off CC), i use Appletv and LanVideo oh well..
I am puzzled.

My FiOS HD DVR's CC looks great. It's made by Motorola, same with cable HD DVRs. I leave HDTV's CC off all the times. Oh well, your opinion is different from mine.

I did test DVR vs HDTV

DVR = up to 1080p, CC is on
HDTV = up to 1080p (automatic), CC is off
HDMI Cable
I look lousy CC, small size, I did full "large", not have extra size, news and sport real-time is not smooth

DVR = 480i, CC is off
HDTV = 480i (automatic), CC is on
any cable without HDMI
I look perfect CC, CC wide, extra large, very smooth for sport and news

Hmm didn't think that captions are different between HDMI and others... but I do know they are different between tv shows. Some are captioned with CAPITAL letters others are in small/lower case fonts (which drives me nuts).

Samsung HD PVR cable convertor boxes are better for CC than Cisco and Scientific Atlanta Explorers. Captioning features are very good on Samsung boxes. Sizes are large, standard and small. Cisco and Scientific Atlanta s CC texts are too small. Can't adjust to make large texts for HD programs on them. Samsung HD boxes are better than ever.

Thanks for tell me about Samsung HD PVR cable, I will check Cox, i had Cisco Explorers. it is small font, i was swtich 480i, i can read it. if Cox had Samsung HD PVR cable. I will get it and back HD screen!

Samsung HD PVR cable convertor boxes are better for CC than Cisco and Scientific Atlanta Explorers. Captioning features are very good on Samsung boxes. Sizes are large, standard and small. Cisco and Scientific Atlanta s CC texts are too small. Can't adjust to make large texts for HD programs on them. Samsung HD boxes are better than ever.

Thanks for tell me about Samsung HD PVR cable, I will check Cox, i had Cisco Explorers. it is small font, i was swtich 480i, i can read it. if Cox had Samsung HD PVR cable. I will get it and back HD screen!

I have my Samsung 3090HD DVR for Time Warner Cable. I hope Cox have Samsung HD PVR box.

Last edited:
Back