CBR Center for Regenerative Medicine looking for children under the age of 18 months

neuro

Reaction score
CBR Center for Regenerative Medicine(TM)
Hearing Loss
The CBR Center for Regenerative Medicine is collaborating with two leading medical institutions to initiate a research study that would evaluate using a child's own cord blood stem cells to help restore or improve hearing that's been damaged from injury or sickness.
Specifically, we are looking for children under the age of 18 months whose own cord blood is stored at CBR and who have sustained hearing damage resulting from:

* An abrupt noise, such as an explosion, or sustained loud noise
* Meningitis
* Head injury from a fall or accident that has resulted in hearing damage but has NOT adversely affected brain function
* Viral disease causing high fever and resulting in hearing loss

If you have a child who has their own cord blood stored and are interested in learning more, please enter the requested information below.
CBR Center for Regenerative Medicine - Hearing Loss - Cord Blood Stem Cells from Cord Blood Registry

Wow, stem cells restoring hearing is not so far away then?

OMG! This is incredible! Finally!!! Clinical trials are starting in the United States and far far FAR FASTER than anyone originally anticipated!!

Soon hearing hair cell regeneration will be here. I can't believe it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OMG! This is incredible! Finally!!! Clinical trials are starting in the United States and far far FAR FASTER than anyone originally anticipated!!

Soon hearing hair cell regeneration will be here. I can't believe it.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It looks like itll take 6 months to conclude this clinical trials for children/babies under 18 months before they move on to adults! Hope you can be a pioneer and get into one of those early trials! If not, perhaps you can get it by traveling to another country! From any indication, the timeframe is on the order of a few years, not decades before people like me will get our chance to hear! :D:cool2::shock::wave:

If stem cells was still decades away, they never would have already begun human clinical trials and this is the first of many to follow shortly! We will look back at the naysayers who don't believe in stem cells. It's already a reality and amazing progress is being made! People 200 years ago said humans will never be able to fly. We have planes, helicopters and rockets for decades now. People said space travel was impossible, but oops they spoke too soon. Those who say stem cells is impossible will be wrong as usual. Nothing is impossible with modern technology! :D

I would say that it's still too early to conclusively say how well it'd work. So far, the initial results on lab (non-human) studies have been positive, but only time will tell how successful it really will be.

I think people are greatly understating and underestimating what stem cells can do. I believe we're looking at complete restoration of hearing within 5 years tops.

They wouldn't be doing this publicly on humans (and on babies no less) unless they had some idea of how well it's going to work already. This means they've been doing testing on it on humans in other countries and perhaps even here. Remember, by the time something like this enters human trial phase, they've been working on it for at LEAST 10 years if not more.

I'm willing to bet they've been working on developing treatments in secret since it was first discovered that birds regenerated their own hair cells.

I don't like the idea of that.

They should do tests on adults who understand the risks in this.
Children should be kept out of this until it's proved successful on concenting adults first. Just because something has worked on animals doesn't mean anything.

Since nobody knows what could happen. Testing on children seems really unethnical to me.

@dreama- What makes you think they haven't already done hundreds of tests on adults in other countries with promises of non disclosure?

Those who say stem cells is impossible will be wrong as usual. Nothing is impossible with modern technology!
Um no. What I have been saying is that it's still far too early to tell if stem cells are gonna be of value.... OH!!!! I KNOW! If stem cells are indeed useful then how come bone marrow transplants haven't worked to improve hearing? Its basicly apples and oranges. Stem cells will be useful for some things.......but not for others. Hell......look at the past history of genetic medience. They got all psyched b/c they thought they were going to be able to cure everything genetic by now.....

Well if they HAD Done tests on adults and it HAD worked then I'm sure the media would have let us know about it. Since they get all this hype from it working on mice, so if it worked on people we would know.

All I'm saying is that people who WANT this stuff should be the first to be tested. NOT Children.

Cord blood stem cells have been used in more than 14,000 transplants worldwide during the last 20 years to treat more than 70 diseases in both adults and children and are now showing great promise for regenerative medicine applications, including treatment for type 1 diabetes, brain injury, cerebral palsy and hearing loss.
Cord Blood Registry Supports Family Cord Blood Banking Act

It's moving faster. So, that means, most likely, soon babies born deaf will be able to grow up as a hearing person. Good news!!

@dreama- What makes you think they haven't already done hundreds of tests on adults in other countries with promises of non disclosure?

I should mention that ive read such anecedotes. The fact it's not all over the news may mean they had to sign a NDA. Im guessing so those scientists who are testing it on humans experimentally and secretly don't get in trouble with the law or maybe they want to keep it hush hush till there's a major breakthru(aka complete restoration)

Someone posted a comment in another stem cell blog saying he knows of a lady who was suddenly deafened and had her hearing restored to near normal! One China website says they have been able to restore the hearing of some people to near normal with repeated stem cell treatments! :D

They started clinical trial on young children precisely because their cord blood had been saved and they can benefit from their own stem cells. Adult clinical trials will either be with stem cells from cord blood that closely matches their own or from their own adult stem cells. You give it 6 months, right? This means in 2 years I could be getting stem cells myself! :cool2:

Ahem.... many of you were against implanting babies due to them not making their own decision.... I think i better leave....

Ahem.... many of you were against implanting babies due to them not making their own decision.... I think i better leave....

Apples to oranges. I would give my future child stem cells in a heartbeat. It would be as if my child was born hearing and would not know what being deaf is like. Besides there's so many advantages to stem cells over CI, its amazing. I wrote a post on that in my blog, link in my sig.

This would be amazing if it works but remember it is a clinical trial and it is not known exactly what the results will be. Personally, I am more comfortable with the CI than with stem cells. In the future stem cell MAY provide another option.

Apples to oranges. I would give my future child stem cells in a heartbeat. It would be as if my child was born hearing and would not know what being deaf is like. Besides there's so many advantages to stem cells over CI, its amazing. I wrote a post on that in my blog, link in my sig.

You don't know what it will do because it has NOT been tried yet.
It might give them hearing, it might give them brain tumours. I remember a scient saying that they have problems stopping the cells from growing. So you could end up with a hell of a lot of seriously brain damaged babies.

Just because it works on mice doesn't mean it will work on men (or babies in this case. It's just plain wrong to test on babies first. They should test on concenting adults.

I think it is great news!!

How many parents would actually put their children up to research on a non life threatening situation.

That is the question I have.

If it was a life threatening deal then I would jump into it.

A non life threatening situation. Would make it difficult on my part due to I do not know of the side effects.

Neuro,

A quick question. What are the procedures, and side effects from the Stem cell implant on the babies?

As a parent I would want to know all the fine prints in this.

Baby blue: They won't know because it's not been done before. That's why I'm against it.

A Deaf adult who is desperate to hear again, and can be made to understand the risks which may include death, is one thing, but to test this on babies who are too young to consent or even give meaningful feeback is just plain wrong.

Who would be willing to stick their necks out and try this anyway?

You might hear again.
You might die from rampently growing stem cells,
It might be very painful
But then again nothing will happen either way and you will remain deaf.

It seems a bit like russian rulette to me.
Why are they looking for babies as test subjects anyway?
This is very suspecious, very dodgy research if you ask me.

Who would be willing to stick their necks out and try this anyway?

You might hear again.
You might die from rampently growing stem cells,
It might be very painful
But then again nothing will happen either way and you will remain deaf.

It seems a bit like russian rulette to me.
Why are they looking for babies as test subjects anyway?
This is very suspecious, very dodgy research if you ask me.

I would be willing to. You know why? Because the rewards far outweigh the risks - of which there are VERY few. Not like in CI - where I could be partially paralyzed in the face? Where I wouldn't gain as much understanding as I have in my right ear? Where I would have trouble balancing between the HA and a CI? No way. And I'd still have a robotic sound and it wouldn't be a seamless treatment.

No matter how you argue it - there's NOTHING like restoring the complete, natural hearing the way we were meant to hear.

Stem cells are a science - they're not like the snake oil miracle cures that used to permeate our world of being hoh and/or deaf. This is the real deal.

It's only a matter of time.

Back