CBR Center for Regenerative Medicine looking for children under the age of 18 months

in the United States is starting to develop protocols for children

hi.
I have written to Cordón Vital® Poder de Vida Líder en Preservación de células madre del cordón belonging to Cord Blood Registry but in Spanish.
I have answered about hearing loss treatment than
unfortunately for now there is no treatment in adults, in the United States is starting to develop protocols for children with this situation.

I'm all for it if it is from blood cord and not embryos .... I can see why they did not list genetic cause. I guess because these babies have a hearing gene in their blood cord stem cells in the first place. That is, they were meant to be hearing if it wasn't for diseases or damages. And I can see it could work, it already worked for burn victims who needed new skin to heal.

The only thing I would be afraid is uncontrollable tumors or cancer cells

I would think that it would be a much more productive use of one's time in dealing with what is rather than what might become possible at some remote time in the unpredictable future.

I would much prefer to see some scientific articles provided in the discussion instead of press releases. Seems like all of the information being provided is third and fourth hand, which means any scientific results consulted have been through several interpretations and are missing relevent information.

Not to mention, why not concentrate on the diseases and disorders that REALLY honestly effect people? jillo'
s right....most of the stuff has been PR releases.

<<As background, a study published recently in Cell Transplantation demonstrated that animal subjects, whose hearing was damaged and were treated with cord blood stem cells, showed significant healing to the damaged portion of the inner ear. According to David Eve, Ph.D. at the University of South Florida, "This study provides hope for a potential treatment for the repair of hearing impairments.">>

source: Cord Blood Coupon: Cord Blood & Hearing Loss

You don't know what it will do because it has NOT been tried yet.
It might give them hearing, it might give them brain tumours. I remember a scient saying that they have problems stopping the cells from growing. So you could end up with a hell of a lot of seriously brain damaged babies.

Just because it works on mice doesn't mean it will work on men (or babies in this case. It's just plain wrong to test on babies first. They should test on concenting adults.

Which is why they sometimes go from mice, to primates then to human beings in multiple clinical trials. Each mammal is a similar medical model of each other as you go up in scale which helps build a template to work from one mammal to the next. Plus doing so builds a better understanding on how it works, where it works and the techniques involved to make it work.

The greater risk in forming tumors lies with embryonic stem cells.
Online NewsHour: Forum: Adult Stem Cells -- Aug. 9, 2004

Plus, in some cases stem cells were used to reverse the effects caused by the use of embryonic stem cells that caused complications.
Bone Marrow Stem Cell Co-Transplantation Prevents Embryonic Stem Cell Transplant-Associated Tumors

tumor "adult stem cells" 2009 - Google Search

Therapy Successfully Reverses Effects of Fabry Disease; Cardiomyopathy Patient Removed from Heart Transplant List
Regenocyte Therapeutic Reports Successful Treatment of Cardiomyopathy with Stem Cells | Reuters

Adult stem cells used to restore sight for corneal disease sufferers
Stem cells used to restore sight for corneal disease sufferers | The Australian

Groundbreaking Paper Publishes Long Term Results of a Successful Phase I Clinical Trial Using Autologous Neural Stem Cells to Treat Parkinson's Disease
Groundbreaking Paper Publishes Long Term Results of a Successful Phase I Clinical Trial Using Autologous Neural Stem Cells to Treat Parkinson's Disease

Adult stem cells to restore damaged heart muscles
Stem cells may offer promise for damaged hearts - CNN.com

Then there's Type 1 diabetes, Leukemia, and more that have seen successful results using adult stem cells. And now we're starting to see results from cord blood stem cells as well.

In a word, heal thyself.

C-NICE - The key word here is "COULD".

If it was going to take "decades" for a payoff then British scientists would not have been able to "develop the world's first stem cell therapy to cure the most common cause of blindness."

Blind to be cured with stem cells - Times Online

That article of yours is pessimistically unrealistic. ;)

It is unrealistic. Decades?? Cures are happening already with stem cells. What the article doesn't consider is the many other countries that making headways to the point of having a viable product and service. There are huge financial incentives for them to get the right product out that is safe, effective, and comparatively cheap as early as possible. This is literally a race else there wouldn't be so many paid researches being done to find that "magic bullet" for a variety of illnesses and conditions. Truly ground-breaking stuff on the cusp type of scenario.

I just stubled accross

I just stumbled accross the article and saw it was authored earlier this year and was questioning it's content not trying to express and personal point of view.

C-NICE - The key word here is "COULD".

If it was going to take "decades" for a payoff then British scientists would not have been able to "develop the world's first stem cell therapy to cure the most common cause of blindness."

Blind to be cured with stem cells - Times Online

That article of yours is pessimistically unrealistic. ;)

Not to mention we both know of someone who already experienced a 25db improvement in hearing with stem cells. Hope he can provide his "before" and "after" audiogram soon, itll be the first source of real proof that treatments for deafness is already viable! :cool2::D

"More Uses For Cord Blood
Until Mary Schneider campaigned to have her son Ryan’s cord blood used to treat his cerebral palsy in 2005, umbilical cord blood had mainly been used to rebuild childrens’ immune systems after cancer treatment. Since then it’s increasingly being used in regenerative medicine – which use the body’s own stem cells to cure failing impaired or injured tissues. In the US, expanded trials using a child’s own cord blood as treatment for cerebral palsy and traumatic brain injury, are expected to begin enrolling patients shortly. Clinical studies for infant stroke, hearing loss and spinal cord injuries are expected to launch in 2009".
source: Successful Cord Blood Treatment for New Zealand's Maia Friedlander. | CordBank New Zealand

Could we get some actual science to support all these claims instead of press releases from those who stand to make a profit from the research?

I would be willing to. You know why? Because the rewards far outweigh the risks - of which there are VERY few. Not like in CI - where I could be partially paralyzed in the face? Where I wouldn't gain as much understanding as I have in my right ear? Where I would have trouble balancing between the HA and a CI? No way. And I'd still have a robotic sound and it wouldn't be a seamless treatment.

No matter how you argue it - there's NOTHING like restoring the complete, natural hearing the way we were meant to hear.

Stem cells are a science - they're not like the snake oil miracle cures that used to permeate our world of being hoh and/or deaf. This is the real deal.

It's only a matter of time.

I'm afraid you are banking on something that has never been proven. If you do stick your neck out just write a will first.

At least with CI you know what's likely to happen. This is newer tecnology and the disasterous consequences are yet to happen.

Back