Cat Bite

JeepGirl

Reaction score
Just so you all know, if anytime you get bit by a cat (mean or nice) and you have an open wound, SEEK A DOCTOR!

The first time I got bit was on my right wrist and I went straight to the doctor and got shots. It healed pretty quickly. That was 2 years ago.

Last friday I got bit again on my left 4th finger and I ignored the treatment and the next day I got sick and had a really bad headache. Went to the e.r. to find that I have a bad infection in my bone. That really sucked! especially I'm a left hander. This happened last friday and today is Monday and I'm still not feeling well.

Just an advice, If anytime you get bit by a cat, don't ignore it. go to the doctor for antibiotics to prevent from getting any infection. I've learned my lessons.

I believe the bad bacteria in cat saliva is called "listeria". My veterinarian told me that every time he gets bitten by a cat, he has a fever by evening.

Cat bites really are bad.

Wow! I didnt know that...thanks for sharing! Hope u will feel better!

Wow! I thought that you could use some hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointment on the cut skin right away.

It is so easy not to think about just small cut means nothing, but turn out to be a serious infection. Glups!

Isn't listeria from contaminated food in cat's mouth that infects humans and other warm blooded animals? I was thinking of Staph infection.

Wow! I thought that you could use some hydrogen peroxide and antibiotic ointment on the cut skin right away.

It is so easy not to think about just small cut means nothing, but turn out to be a serious infection. Glups!

Isn't listeria from contaminated food in cat's mouth that infects humans and other warm blooded animals? I was thinking of Staph infection.

You are correct about where listeria does arise. It seems it is a problem in almost every cat, according to my veterinarian.

Interesting! My cat slash at the most of the times, she only bite when she grab your hand and slashing with her leg while biting so hard on the hand. I never have any open wounds from my cat's bite..

it does look that simple and means nothing but in less than 24 hours without being treated can be pretty bad.

I still use peroxide and ointment to kill the germs and keep it clean. I also bandage to prevent from getting it dirty.

when i was in the e.r. the dr stuck a needle in the open wound.. VERY PAINFUL.. to drain the pus out.

cats has a baterial thing that doesn't do quite well with humans.

Interesting! My cat slash at the most of the times, she only bite when she grab your hand and slashing with her leg while biting so hard on the hand. I never have any open wounds from my cat's bite..
the cats at work scratches me all the time and it doesn't bother me too much. when it comes to biting and leaving open wounds.. is a different story. if you get bit and leaving open wounds on you.. ya gonna want to see your doctor. however.. they are fun to play with and to cuddle with. I love cats but just be more cautious!

I've been bitten by cats many times, but never went to the hospital. I'm still alive and well. ;)

I guess I'm immune to cat bites. Heh!

the cats at work scratches me all the time and it doesn't bother me too much. when it comes to biting and leaving open wounds.. is a different story. if you get bit and leaving open wounds on you.. ya gonna want to see your doctor. however.. they are fun to play with and to cuddle with. I love cats but just be more cautious!

Allright I will keep that advice in my mind :)

ouch i hope you feel better

i did get infections on my one finger twice from my old cat and had to go to doctor to get the pus out. that was long time ago. i have tiniest scar on my finger but can't see it well

I've been bitten by cats many times, but never went to the hospital. I'm still alive and well. ;)

Same here. I have brown tabby and she bit and scratches me sometime from playing (she like me to play rough). I washed scratches and bites with soap and water and rinse it off. Didn't get infection. Sometime I have deep scratch, I use Neosporin and rub on the cuts and bite which was deep. No infection either.

Catty

wow, I hope you get well...

I'm sure that it's rabies, you referring to?

Rabies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your answer is yes, then it will be okay when the pets (not just cat) get annual rabies shot. My all cats got rabies shot every 2 years because they all are indoor cats... if outdoor cats, then every year...

I would not get ill if I was being bite by them due their rabies shot.

Originally Posted by VamPyroX
I've been bitten by cats many times, but never went to the hospital. I'm still alive and well.

Same here. I have brown tabby and she bit and scratches me sometime from playing (she like me to play rough). I washed scratches and bites with soap and water and rinse it off. Didn't get infection. Sometime I have deep scratch, I use Neosporin and rub on the cuts and bite which was deep. No infection either.

Catty

Ditto...

I alway hand my hands after finish play with cats... they bite and scratch when they play with me... (including open wound)... doesn't affect me... Interesting...

Again, wish you get well, JeepGirl.

Just so you all know, if anytime you get bit by a cat (mean or nice) and you have an open wound, SEEK A DOCTOR!

The first time I got bit was on my right wrist and I went straight to the doctor and got shots. It healed pretty quickly. That was 2 years ago.

Last friday I got bit again on my left 4th finger and I ignored the treatment and the next day I got sick and had a really bad headache. Went to the e.r. to find that I have a bad infection in my bone. That really sucked! especially I'm a left hander. This happened last friday and today is Monday and I'm still not feeling well.

Just an advice, If anytime you get bit by a cat, don't ignore it. go to the doctor for antibiotics to prevent from getting any infection. I've learned my lessons.

Was it reported to the Health Department?

Back