Castro hanging possibly not suicide

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Say what?

Auto-erotic asphyxiation possible in kidnapper Castro’s death
BY ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS AP Legal Affairs Writer
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:23 a.m., Updated: Thursday, October 10, 2013 12:23 p.m.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro may have died from auto-erotic asphyxiation, not suicide, and two prison guards falsified logs documenting their observation of him in the hours before he died, the state said Thursday.

Castro’s pants and underwear were pulled down to his ankles when he was found, leading the state to forward those facts to the state highway patrol to consider the possibility of auto-erotic asphyxiation, according to the report from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction.

The report suggests — but does not conclude — that Castro may have died as the result of auto-erotic asphyxiation, whereby individuals achieve sexual satisfaction by briefly choking themselves into unconsciousness.

Castro did not leave a suicide note and “multiple levels of assessment” did not find tendency toward suicide, the report said. A comprehensive mental health evaluation found “no evidence of serious mental illness or indications for suicide precautions were present,” according to the report.

Surveillance video indicates guards did not do at least eight required checks on Castro the afternoon and evening before he died. Two checks were done properly just before Castro hanged himself on Sept. 3 at a prison reception center south of Columbus.

The report also said an ambulance contracted to provide medical assistance at the prison was significantly late in arriving, but the delay likely didn’t affect the outcome.

The report also said staff failed to make sure Castro watched a suicide prevention video when he first arrived in August.

Castro, 53, was a few weeks into a life sentence after pleading guilty in August to kidnapping three women from the streets of Cleveland, then imprisoning them in his home for a decade during which time he repeatedly raped and beat them. He was accused of limiting their access to food and toilet facilities and chaining them at times to a pole in the basement. Rescued with the three women in May was a 6-year-old girl Castro fathered with one of the victims.
Auto-erotic asphyxiation possible in kidnapper Castro’s death – The Post and Courier

The only thing that matters is that he's dead...and no one else's child will ever have to worry again.

Laura

I forgot that he dies , it did save us a lot of money but I wonder if his family is going to a file wrongful death lawsuit .

The only thing that matters is that he's dead...and no one else's child will ever have to worry again.

Laura
That's true. Unfortunately, it's going to lead to more investigations and charges within the prison system which won't let it end. If the prison staff hadn't lied about the logs this wouldn't be issue.

Hope it will be resolved soon.

I don't think it's going to be a big problem. Let's see if I am prophetic.

Ugh, I'm half and half about it, I'm glad he's dead and isn't a problem to anyone else, but at the same time, the victims never got to see their justice done in court. It makes a big difference getting that trial believe it or not.

That is exactly how I want to die when I am 80+ years old. Auto-erotic asphyxiation on top of the mountain, or at the beach to get away from pain.

It was easy exit for him. Remember when he got arrested, people tell him have fun in the prison for very, very long time. People are wrong.

Sad.

That is exactly how I want to die when I am 80+ years old. Auto-erotic asphyxiation on top of the mountain, or at the beach to get away from pain.

It was easy exit for him. Remember when he got arrested, people tell him have fun in the prison for very, very long time. People are wrong.

Sad.

I didn't think he would last long in jail.

Removed...

Didn't see that someone above already posted this. Sorry.

Last edited:
If he committed suicide then his family could really file a wrongful death lawsuit . They could say enough was not done to keep him safe.

I wonder how the young women are doing? I hope they're able to get on with their lives the best they can . They're very strong women to had made it though all that HELL the monster did to them . And he was a evil monster!

If he committed suicide then his family could really file a wrongful death lawsuit . They could say enough was not done to keep him safe.

I wonder how the young women are doing? I hope they're able to get on with their lives the best they can . They're very strong women to had made it though all that HELL the monster did to them . And he was a evil monster!

His own son hates his guts and his brothers are ashamed of him. No one really cares so it's not a big deal legally speaking. In the end God takes revenge for what he did to all his victims, and God has a very good memory for everything. The world is safer without this monster - including his family whom he also hurt and violated.

His own son hates his guts and his brothers are ashamed of him. No one really cares so it's not a big deal legally speaking. In the end God takes revenge for what he did to all his victims, and God has a very good memory for everything. The world is safer without this monster - including his family whom he also hurt and violated.

I do not believe in God so I have idea if he/she has a great memory .

I doubt it......ugh......that was HELL...

Sad.

i agree....but not not the bolded...nah...I'd just go to sleep, somewhere nice, like beach, - somewhere preferably at a reclusive location

Back